Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/21/14 at 11:20:06

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What tube's are you guys using? (Read 1419 times)
JD
Seasoned Member

What tube's are you guys using?
01/31/13 at 17:11:40

To appease my Decware addiction I just ordered a ZP3.  In perusing the forum I didn't see too much info on tubes used.  I am going to stockpile a few so I'll be ready to roll when it arrives in 2-3 months time. Curious to know people's positive and negative tube impresssions.

Thanks in advance.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: What tube's are you guys using?
Reply #1 - 01/31/13 at 17:59:52

I've tried about six rectifier tubes in my ZP3 and the clear winner for me is an old RCA 5Y3GT that just really anchors the tone foundation for me and also gives the most natural, unprocessed presentation of the six.

I bought a pair of Raytheon 12AX7s from Mike here on the board that really nail down that tube type for me, a matched pair. Interestingly I've found that the 12AU7 spot is very influential to the sound and I have handfuls of this tube type. I alternate lately a Telefunken, Mullard and Raytheon (I think, maybe RCA, supplied by Decware). It's taken me weeks to get to the point where the sound is stabilized and I can really make solid judgments. . . . This preamp is a lot like the CSP2+ in that aspect.

In the OA3 position I've also tried six tubes, and also two OB3 tubes. The Sylvania bottle type OA3 that Steve sent is very good, and I also am still using an RCA bottle type. OA3. An OB3 is interesting with this preamp, but in my system always just comes up a bit short in the weight and heft areas.

I know you're really going to enjoy this preamp!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/13 at 18:19:30

I`ve  liberated a Mullard GZ34 from my old amp which has been replaced by SE341`s, and put the stock back.
Looking forward to popping it in the ZP3 after new amps and cables have settled down.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 02/02/13 at 01:01:18

appreciate it guys thanks

JD

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 02/03/13 at 19:37:15

JD, you must be checking out a variety of tubes in anticipation.
I did the same and have a small selection.
No real favs between TFK, Brimar, Mullard, and a P.miniwatt in the 12au7 spot.
GE, RCA, Mullard, Phillips, for rectifiers of different configs, ie, 5Y3GT,
5R4GY etc.
0A3 pos....Raytheon
12ax7, seems I`m happy with Sylvania x3 mica.
Still a few to get but there comes a time when you say
enough for now. Well maybe a 12at7 or two.

Ones that got away for now....square getters....bugleboys...
the usual suspects,
Some GZ34 rectifiers are big bucks. My Mullard wasn`t to bad. Listening with it in now sounds good....or different.
Good hunting   Smiley

« Last Edit: 02/03/13 at 19:50:27 by marky »  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 08/23/13 at 00:40:41

After a few months of letting it season I'm really enjoying the ZP3.  Using an early fifties rca 5r4gy and oa3 teamed with nos mullards all around.  Rega p6 and ortofon black 2m (with 2mm spacer) cartridge are all combining for an awesome sound.  
You can't beat vinyl.

JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 08/23/13 at 01:28:47

Grrrrrreeeaaat!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 12/17/13 at 01:46:55

gonna give my mullards a rest for a little. very happy with the sound, warm but not syrupy.  great detail and airy. fantastic sound.  but just in the mood to explore and have a back up set or 2 or 3...ha. rolling in two 63 mazda chrome plates and a 56 radiotechnique. will let you know results.  just got a new laptop so hopefully i'll be able to post pics of albums being played. tonite it is anoushka shankar's newest. fantastic

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print