Decware Audio Forums
08/01/14 at 08:59:35

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
MT Cold Feet (Read 3002 times)
Ron

MT Cold Feet
01/28/13 at 23:48:15

I was trying to decide between a MT and a SE34I.3. I ultimately decided to go with the MT because I didn't want to purchase a PreAmp right out the bat. I have a high output MC cart on my TT to an Audio Research PH-3 phono pr as my source.

While I just love the MT part of me thinks I should have went with the SE34I.3 instead. I am still within the window, any input is greatly appreciated.

They are connected to B&W bookshelves right now but will be connected to a crossover-less Mark Audio A12P towers that I am building currently.

Mini Torii; Custom Mark Audio A12P SuperPensils; Kenwood KD-2055 TT; Audio-Research PH3 Phono Pre
  IP Logged
Ron

Re: MT Cold Feet
Reply #1 - 01/29/13 at 00:00:36

I should also clarify, I absolutely love this amp. Just have part of me asking what if I chose the other one... I guess thats what you get. Best solution: Get both!

I mainly listen to Jazz(Miles, Sonny, Coltrane), Classic Rock(Tull, Springsteen, Morrison), Sinatra.

Considering the flexibility in source, the MT won. Steve voices his amps to sound similar, I do like the footprint of the MT better. It is dual mono blocks which is nice. PreAmp isn't out of the question with the MT either, might add some weight to it. Thanks again for the C&C!

Mini Torii; Custom Mark Audio A12P SuperPensils; Kenwood KD-2055 TT; Audio-Research PH3 Phono Pre
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 01/29/13 at 00:11:13

I guess you really can't go wrong, as all the love for the Mini Torii here shows. I loved my SE34.2 Integrated, which I know is not the same as the new model, but I loved it and only wished it had been more powerful, I needed more power.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #3 - 01/29/13 at 00:12:59

Lon

You make a good point. Impossible to go wrong with either of my two choices here. I keep flip flopping, go to the SE34I or stay with MT. I usually come to the same conclusion... enjoy my MT now. Decide to expand to a SE34I.? in the future. Maybe sell the MT maybe not. Either way it is an epic sounding amp!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 01/29/13 at 00:22:09

MINI TORII offers a greater ability to tweak and fine tune the sound; either swapping tubes or the treble circuit or the feedback control. You don't have any of that with the SE34.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #5 - 01/29/13 at 00:23:53

That is the truth... I popped in some 5881's into my MT and was blown away by how different it sounded. I think this is me being over analytical and second guessing the absurd amount of research I did. Smiley I should focus on building my new speakers and growing from there. That is why this is a hobby after all. Smiley Thanks guys!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #6 - 01/29/13 at 00:25:26

It doesn't need most of that. Smiley The Integrated is zero negative feedback, which I've always loved. An SET as well. And a treble cut circuit can be added (a really good option to add, as is the stepped attenuator).

« Last Edit: 01/29/13 at 00:28:39 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #7 - 01/29/13 at 00:40:36

Lon,

Does the SEP sound have a much different signature than the SET of the integrated?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #8 - 01/29/13 at 00:45:29

Can't really tell you, haven't heard the Mini Torii. It's the one Decware amp that has never really appealed to me.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #9 - 01/29/13 at 00:46:27

The Mini-Torii has input & output voltage stage regulation, connected in series for a superb additional AC power noise filtering/conditioning.

The Mini Torii can be tweaked tremendously via tube-rolling, enough to change its signature and sound characteristics to suit listening environment, speakers, etc. to your own needs/tastes and still sounding marvelously.  Tubes are inexpensive unless you look for vintage rarities.

The Mini Torii has plenty of pep and dynamics at 4 Ohms speakers (my case), and can be even better with 8 Ohms speakers.

Although I had similar concerns when I bought mine, time has proven Steve's suggestion (and ultimately my decision) was absolutely spot on.  

For my particular needs, I'm not looking back!

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #10 - 01/29/13 at 00:46:49

I suppose if you are not a decware noobie then Mini Torii doesnt make sense. It does make sense for me as I was able to get my feet wet and explore without the large Torii pricetag.

Still very happy with my decision.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 01/29/13 at 01:10:44

Fireblade wrote on 01/29/13 at 00:46:27:
The Mini-Torii has input & output voltage stage regulation, connected in series for a superb additional AC power noise filtering/conditioning.

I'm glad you're happy.

I will say though that though the voltage stage regulation does indeed change the sound of the amp (and makes it easy to change it over and over rolling tubes) I find that the "additional AC power noise filtering/conditioning" isn't that significant imo. Decware amps I've had with and without these stages greatly benefit from filtering and conditioning outside the amp.

One reason I stay away from the Mini Torii is so many tubes to roll. Too many for me and my tastes and needs. Another reason is I've not been impressed with the output tube types used in this amp in other amps.

Anyway, you're going to be happy with your Decware amp!

IP Logged
Ron

Reply #12 - 01/29/13 at 01:24:41

Thanks Lon, very insightful, I see many great years with this Decware amp and many others. This is a journey not a destination.

Thanks again!

-Ron

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #13 - 01/29/13 at 01:32:06

That's just the thing, Lon: Everything improves with additional expensive power supply aids in audio systems. The point is, in the M-T (and the Torii for that matter), this potential improvement is reduced, at least to a level that still satisfies an enthusiast with a limited budget.

The investment difference can be applied in other, more pressing system needs. Other things being equal, those regulation stages acting as filters are great savings for a constrained budget amateur.

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #14 - 01/29/13 at 01:38:06

Fireblade, well stated. Smiley I for one will be purchasing a better DAC and building a pair of full range speakers before I spend a bunch of a PS Audio power plant.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print