Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/23/14 at 00:48:52

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Replacing all my JJ's - Recommendations Please (Read 2660 times)
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Re: Replacing all my JJ's - Recommendations Please
Reply #15 - 01/26/13 at 11:55:02

The new production Tung Sol 6V6 is an excellent sounding tube. RFT rectifiers are good and not expensive. Choice of an input tube depends on the rest of your system.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 01/26/13 at 13:34:44

I have used the Tung Sol 6V6 and they are outstanding performers in the Mini Torii.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #17 - 01/26/13 at 15:38:16

I've found in the M-T, using 6V6 exclusively, that the key is finding synergies among the driver (input) tubes and the output tubes, for a given listening room condition (mainly the speakers' interaction with these conditions and the sourcing's profile characteristics.)  

The rest of the tube choices can enhance or detract from this synergy, but at a lesser effect.  The exception of course, is the low-frequency profile impact that the OA3 ... OD3 series can bring to 'color' that synergy. These would make it lighter or darker (detailed or warmer), but won't interfere with the essential job the drivers and output tubes have worked out together.

Whether this structure will remain across other non-6V6 output tube alternatives is something I ignore, but suspect the same outcome.

An additional variable, essential in my case, but maybe immaterial when using large floor standing speakers, is the application of a Sub-Woofer.  You can get away with OC3/OD3 output voltage regulation (i.e., lighter, more detail-retrieving with much less low frequency profiles but tighter low-mid range bass), if you adjust your well-placed Sub at a cross-over in the 65-55 Hz range.  

All that missing depth can be more than compensated setting the Sub's volume accordingly, especially when the Sub is being fed by the M-T's Pre-Outs, as these impart the M-T's signature at line level.

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 01/27/13 at 20:24:05

RR,

I got a pair of 'original' Tung Sol 6V6GT's (not the round plate) and really can't tell much difference between them and new the production. Is the new production TS the be all end all tube? No, but for the $$$ they are very hard to beat.

I got a very nice pair of 1940's Ken Rad VT 107-A's on fleabay this week for $39.95 shipped, yes I got lucky, and these are, IMHO, really sweet.

I tried 6K6's, Hytron and National Union, these are electrically similar to 6V6's, cheap and sound very good. The NU's were $10 and the Hytron's $15. If you have not tried 6K6's give 'em a shot.

« Last Edit: 01/27/13 at 20:48:01 by Les Lammers »  
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/15/13 at 13:18:57

Yesterday I paired the stock JJ 6V6 with Psvane 12AT7's and was shocked at how good the combo sounded. The soundstage was wider and deeper. The amp seemed more powerful. Sonics were harmonically rich, detail and texture...excellent. Synergy. When these JJ die I'll get a pair of the cryoed and tested ones on fleabay. As always...YMMV.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print