Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 15:28:05

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
DRIVERS for the DNA Horn (Read 17210 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DRIVERS for the DNA Horn
01/16/13 at 17:33:52

As many of you know, we have been unable to get the Tang Band W5 1880 driver here in the States.  

Solen of Canada does seem to have them, but keep in mind that distributors like Madisound and Solen carry what sells.  Ever since the price of the W5 1880 more than doubled due to Neodymium prices Madisound at least has stopped carrying them.

I have noticed over the years (with Madisound anyway), that they don't tell you that they don't want to carry it anymore, instead they say the drivers are no longer available, or they can't get the drivers anymore, leading you to believe the drivers have been discontinued by the manufacturer.  

The W5 1880 has not been discontinued by the manufacturer.

Anyway, because of this limited and problematic availability we've had to discontinue one of our favorite speakers, and move it into the D.I.Y. section of the site.  And a LOT of people are downloading the plans.  Naturally this is going to launch a large search for different drivers that work in the DNA horn so I thought we'd start a list here in this forum.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Re: DRIVERS for the DNA Horn
Reply #1 - 01/16/13 at 17:51:42

I have considered several different drivers for the DNA horn which can be found in the design notes for the DNA horn.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/paper120.html

You may use this as a guide when you consider drivers for the DNA horn.

I did try a less expensive Tang Band driver, the W5-1611SAF 5" Full Range Speaker with the world's worst results.  Please don't waste your time with this one.

I also tried my small Lowther DX55 drivers and they sounded good, but are a primarily a midrange driver so there isn't any real bass weight.  I will say, that the DNA horn made that driver, as well as the 4 inch foster drivers used in other horns, have more bass than they did in any other cabinet, but considering what this cabinet is capable of it would be a waste of a good design.

To that effect, I have found a driver that I like 95% as good as the TangBand IF you're going with lower powered amplifiers.  In fact the bass was actually better, more correct, less colored.  The highs are rolled off, but I still enjoyed it for an evening by itself without adding a tweeter, which it will obviously need.  But I think that is fine.  A tweeter floating on top of the cabinet would be very nice.  

The driver is an AuraSound buy out at Madisound, so who knows how many they have or how long.  The price is right a 3.60 ea.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-5-fullrange/aurasound-ns525-255-8a-5...

Again, this is the best sounding driver I've heard compared to the original, and the bass extension is the same.

-Steve

WWW   IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #2 - 01/17/13 at 23:41:05

Wow!  $3.60 drivers competing with drivers in the $150/pair or higher ballpark.  Think I'll build a pair of DNA's now and try them out.

One question:  Being an old-timer, I have a Decware redemption number that, once upon a time, got me free downloads of (most all) speaker plans.  Is this a thing of the past now?  I certainly don't mind paying $19.95 for the DNA plans (wait!  the plans are about 3 times the cost of the drivers?  Whats going on here?)  but the Scottish blood in me won't allow me to pay for something if I can get it for free (I have way too many credit cards for this reason).

Thanks

Dan

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 01/18/13 at 02:01:49

Sarah can take care of you on the plans, or just e-mail me and I'll attach the pdf to the response.

Thanks,

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #4 - 01/19/13 at 03:07:59

Seeing how this driver drops off rapidly above 5-6K, I would think that maybe a ribbon tweeter would be a good move.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #5 - 01/30/13 at 04:12:26

Well, I got the 'recommended' drivers for the DNA, and downloaded the plans. I'm afraid I will have wait some time before building due to the weather not cooperating 'till spring. I will keep in touch and add photos when the time comes.
I am building these for a friend, and hope he is patient.

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #6 - 01/30/13 at 20:25:52

I see that Madisound has further reduced the cost of this replacement driver to $2 each (if you buy 30 of them).

Dan

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #7 - 01/30/13 at 21:16:01

I can't help but be suspicious of a driver that costs under $50. But I am trying to keep an open mind.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 02/02/13 at 03:06:37

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #9 - 02/02/13 at 05:43:07

I really like the fact that they use rectangular wire for the voice coil. I thought that nobody would ever try it, yet, it would be a more efficient winding. Hope Steve looks this one over. I would be game if he is.

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 02/02/13 at 18:43:09

The MA Alpair 7 (4" smaller version of essentially the same driver) seems even more well liked among some of the DIY crew:

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/approx-4-fullrange/markaudio-alpair-7-gold-...

Neither of these MA drivers are what I would consider high sensitivity, but hey do manage to dig deep for their size.  In those respects they are similar to the TB Steve chose originally.  They reportedly do well in reflex and mltl cabs, not sure how they would fare in the DNA horn's hybrid cab.  They have potential, but I don't have DNA cabs to try them in, unfortunately.

One thing I'm learning is to not trust any published specs and measurements, at least not too much.  Take your own measurements at home, in your projects, 'cause that's the only thing you can know for sure.  It makes the whole process a huge PITA, unfortunately, and I just want to get to the music, not spend time purchasing and auditioning drivers!  Hopefully a collective effort will bring results.

Experimenting with these is not exactly free, from $180 to $220 a pair.  But it would be nice if there was more of it, as the DNA cabs are among the more aesthetically pleasing of their reflex/horn hybrid peers.  Most are big and f'ugly, but have a lot more history and user experimentation to draw from.  And yes, it seems bass-akcwards to start with the cab and then pick a driver, but such are the circumstances since the TB driver's distribution is limited.

« Last Edit: 02/02/13 at 19:18:32 by ski bum »  
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #11 - 02/03/13 at 02:00:24

I agree, there are better situations for choosing a driver. The thought occurred to me that if this project was big enough and the interest existed, some drivers could be bought by a collective community here. Then, as need be, drivers could be swapped between community 'owners', allowing for a base of experience. Just a thought. When a conclusion was reached, the extras might still be useful to some of the members here. I love to experiment, and wouldn't be afraid to buy a leftover.

IP Logged
dank
Seasoned Member

pair of dual 18
Imperials

Reply #12 - 02/03/13 at 18:58:26

Tomorrow!

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #13 - 02/03/13 at 19:17:25

Dank,  Thank you very much for posting this photo. It helps me with the visualizing of this project. Now, I did notice some 'guidelines' drawn on the side panel that would help establish the correct positioning of the internal panels. Let me ask you,,,were some of the angles a bitch? Would seem so to me.

IP Logged
ZYGI
Seasoned Member

HR-ONE

Reply #14 - 02/04/13 at 01:44:33

Dan,

Check your dimension on the very first section where the beginning of the horn meets the front baffle. It could be the camera angle.

Zygi

All Decware amps and sources, Turning Point Audio speakers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print