Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/30/14 at 19:21:53

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Cap choices for Mk III (Read 5562 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Cap choices for Mk III
Reply #15 - 07/26/13 at 19:04:35

I love the Jupiters in my Torii. I'd recommend them in a heartbeat. On another board a poster was saying that those he saw for sale had aluminum core, and Steve's are copper. . . . So not sure if those Steve uses can be readily purchased.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 07/26/13 at 19:31:19

Hey Lon,

After talking with Steve about the Jupiter Beeswax caps (some time ago), if I recall correctly, he sounded like they were readily available. I looked around, and only found aluminum foil for the cryo'd Jupiter HT Beeswax/Paper caps. Are you sure Steve is using a copper version of them? Here is the Jupiter web page:
http://jupitercondenser.com/cryo-ht-beeswax-paper-capacitors.html

« Last Edit: 07/26/13 at 19:31:55 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 07/26/13 at 20:13:49

I'm only sure in that on the other discussion the person talked with Steve and was told that they were copper. I'm going to see if I can find that correspondence/posting, but the conclusion was Steve was using copper. Right or wrong.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 07/26/13 at 20:41:56

There are two comments by "triple" in this thread:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/im-addicted-to-el34-based-tube-amps-i-need...

At first he says Steve says they are copper and only sees aluminum on the website. Then he says:

the round HT Jupiter caps are aluminum foil only. The copper caps are produced only in the stacked quadratic version like the 1.0uF one seen in the Torii

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 07/26/13 at 22:26:55

Looks like only Steve can answer this one.

From this link:
http://jupitercondenser.com/Audio-Series-Capacitors/audio-series-capacitors.html...

Jupiter writes that both round and flat are Aluminum foil.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 07/26/13 at 22:37:12

Yes, I noted that. I suppose that different caps could be supplied to manufacturers than are available on the webpage. He says that Steve said "copper" and I don't doubt him, necessarily. You're right, Steve would be the one with the definitive answer.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 07/27/13 at 06:36:25

Not that this will clear anything up, but on my recently modded ZP3 phono stage and pair of ZSM monoblocks,  Steve used the aluminum foil variant of the Jupiters (2 caps in the ZP3 and two total in the monoblocks). 

He told me this in a recent phone conversation.  I don't know what the copper version is used in, but Steve mentioned that the aluminum foil Jupiters are faster sounding than the copper Jupiters.  The ZP3 especially, sounds wonderful.  I went from stock caps to Jupiters in that unit.  In the monoblocks I went from V Caps to Jupiters.

Mike

« Last Edit: 07/27/13 at 16:24:30 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 07/27/13 at 16:47:33

Thanks Mike. Have you had the Jupiters in the monos long enough to compare with the V-caps?

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 07/27/13 at 17:35:26

Hi Will,  I have at least 800 hours on the Jupiters.  Amazingly enough, they are more detailed AND warmer than the V-caps.  

The source for the monos, is a completely restored (with improved caps/resistors/wiring, etc.) Philips AH673 analog tuner. I had the tuner repaired and remodded by the tuner guru Joseph Chow, last year.

I have no idea what a digital source would sound like, in conjunction with the Jupiter aluminum foil capped ZSM's.

Steve told me that the aluminum foil Jupiters were faster than the copper version.  On the flip side, the copper Jupiters sound "meatier" than the aluminum ones.  He feels this is not what the ZP3 and ZSM's need.

Mike

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 07/27/13 at 18:02:36

Thanks Mike. Good to get your input. I heard V-caps (copper) briefly in my DAC, and I did not like them in that application. Too clean and in the face...like it was too easy to dissect the recordings. I figured it was that the Tranquility circuit was already very detailed and open and that the V-caps just were not a good match.

From that limited experience, it does not surprise me... your sense of the Jupiters being more detailed AND warmer. I guess this is sort of the sense I am getting from the Zstage with Jupiter Beeswax caps, though in this case I would not necessarily say "warm," but rather "musical" since I get no feeling of any lower mid darkness...just very good sound that for the most part is pleasantly unidentifiable. And the detail, top to bottom is exceptional, allowing sparkle and textures without getting in the way of the experience of music. The contrary actually. I feel like these caps don't put any of their "flavor" on the natural detail...just let it be, as it should be. I really like them in the Zstage.

« Last Edit: 07/27/13 at 18:15:17 by will »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 07/27/13 at 18:25:31

Another thought.

On reflection, with the original Zstage caps, Auricaps, I could not use the Zstage comfortably after the Tranquility. Double edged...I wanted the adjustability of the Zstage for gain riding...reducing or increasing body and weight, but the Auricaps took a bit too much away from the Tranquility's amazingly musical detail, especially micro detail. They sounded a little like they were contributing a "warmth" that felt a little false to me...a little affected and electronic. I did not clearly notice this for what it was before the Tranquility, but I always had a slight reservation about the Zstage being a little "warm" for me. After getting the Tranquility, I could hear that this was more about micro detail loss and a somewhat restricted flow.

The Jupiters are another story altogether. If I hear the caps, I don't get a downside. It is all good in my book in this application.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 07/27/13 at 19:00:24

I would call the Jupiters in my Toriis "musical" as well. Really a nice match for the amps and making very flowing and non-fatiguing sound.

Some interesting evaluations of these and other caps here;

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/diy/0511/coupling_capacitors.htm

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 07/27/13 at 22:31:21

I agree with Lon, the Jupiter's make for a very flowing and non-fatiguing sound.

Rethinking it a bit, I'm going to back off on my "warm" description, and use Steve's term, "organic" sounding.   Also, they are higher resolution than the V-caps, without a doubt.

Mike

« Last Edit: 07/27/13 at 22:31:57 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 10/14/13 at 11:39:36

If one goes on the Torii mono sight and looks at the flat stack Jupiter capacitor it says copper foil right on the capacitor. Turns out your both right . the square flat stack jupiters in the tori mono's are copper , the round HTbeezwax cryo treated that are in the Zen and Torii mkiv are aluminum............

« Last Edit: 10/14/13 at 12:27:54 by jameskk »  
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 10/14/13 at 18:10:08

Both my ZP3 and ZSM monoblocks, were upgraded by Decware, with the cryoed aluminum foil Jupiters.  

I asked Steve about the ZP3, and he said the aluminum was far better sounding for that application.

Oh wait, I already said this 3 months ago!  Oh well.  Should have read the old posts:)

Mike in Seattle area

« Last Edit: 10/14/13 at 18:12:34 by tgarden »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print