10/24/14 at 11:32:13

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Power Recommendations (Read 2646 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Power Recommendations
Reply #15 - 01/23/13 at 19:31:07

Well, I would call it a kind of clinical sound vs. more warm... I'm still not 100% sure yet... It could be that it's just a more defined sound... But my ears tell me that there's something else going on...

Note: When I received the unit, the base was damaged... Tripp Lite is sending me a new unit... I'll say this much: The company stands behind their products...

I'll report more on this later after I hook up the new unit... It could be that the one I have here now has been damaged internally or something... Or perhaps it needs break-in time?...   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #16 - 01/23/13 at 19:31:56

Was yours the medical grade unit?

Mini Torii; Custom Mark Audio A12P SuperPensils; Kenwood KD-2055 TT; Audio-Research PH3 Phono Pre
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 01/23/13 at 20:05:40

Hello, and no, it was the standard unit... I understand that there may be a different grounding scheme on the medical units... Looking inside the unit, all primary components and secondary components are grounded to the same chassis screw... I don't understand how this can be TRUE isolation, but it does conform to NEC [National Electrical Codes]...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Ron

Reply #18 - 01/23/13 at 20:06:35

It is not true isolation. It is a safety mechanism. You can remove that ground and you will have true isolation.

Mini Torii; Custom Mark Audio A12P SuperPensils; Kenwood KD-2055 TT; Audio-Research PH3 Phono Pre
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 01/23/13 at 20:07:08

I have the same unit as Mark.  Interesting but mine was banged up as well.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 01/23/13 at 22:09:15

If the secondary side ground is removed, you will not have absolute chassis ground in case of a ground fault in your audio equipment, right?... I don't know if I would want to do that... But my guess is that it would improve the performance of the unit overall...

Need to look at any center tap arrangements that exist on the X-former... That may determine just what can be done with the grounding situation...

A schematic of the unit might help... Can someone find this?... I can't seem to find one... (m.)

IP Logged
Ron

Reply #21 - 01/24/13 at 11:58:49

I found this which is quite interesting... http://www.surgex.com/residential.html#strips

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 01/28/13 at 03:39:19

I'm not sure what your budget is, but the PS Audio (entry level) Dectet Power Center looks like a really good product for the price @ $495.

It has the Power Port duplexes and is a passive filtration device (after extenisve reading this seems the best way to go) and with surge suppression, etc.  By no means cheap, but it's worth a look if within your budget.

« Last Edit: 01/28/13 at 03:44:00 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print