Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/30/14 at 15:04:17

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
NEW LCD2 Headphone amplifier coming soon. (Read 17072 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: NEW LCD2 Headphone amplifier coming soon.
Reply #45 - 02/13/13 at 13:29:05

Quote:
I know that customers like me can be a real PITA sometimes, but I want to write and thank you for my new Taboo. It is obviously not even remotely broken in yet, but it is extraordinary.

With my Audez’e LCD-2 headphones, it is providing me a new level of emotional engagement with the music to which I listen. I am slack-jawed.

Thank you.
I remember writing those words on April 4, 2011. My current Taboo was an ear and soul-opener. I cannot wait to hear the new one, and for that reason, I just put my order in, too.

Props Steve & Decware!

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 02/13/13 at 14:35:01

So, polys, what did you order. Here is my bill [yeah, I am pretty mundane about that repetitive cherry finish I order, but it is beautiful and ages in a lovely, warm manner]:
Quote:
Zen Taboo Mk III  Planar Headphone Amplifier                          
Voltage: 110/120 Volts
Wood Base: Contemporary Cherry
Signal Capacitors: Teflon VCAPS
Knob: Gold Knob
Balanced Headphone Cable Type: 4 pin Balanced XLR output jacks

Also, I love the video peek and soundtrack. If Michael Mann ever filmed the innards of a Zen amp, it would look and sound like that. At least a bit. Wink

P.S. Steve, as I think you always do, thanks for rewarding your early adopters with the introductory coupon code. It's just one more way Decware treats its customers delightfully.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
polys
Verified Member

Reply #47 - 02/13/13 at 15:23:06

Yeh, the coupon was a nice touch, plus that made it much easier to convince my gf to allow me to spend money I should be saving Grin.

All black, beeswax caps, 3 pin XLRs and a gold knob.
I wasnt sure on the Teflon VCAPS. Just because of what Steve said earlier
Quote:
Cryo Treated Beeswax coupling capacitors in place of standard poly film caps for increased resolution, (even higher than VCAPs) and a more organic sound.

If they're regarded as better I'll ask if i can upgrade the order to Teflons.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 02/13/13 at 17:09:34

Polys, thanks for reminding me, because I saw that note again after ordering. I reflexively ordered the VCaps, but if in Steve's view, the cryo-beeswax is actually more resolving, I would probably downgrade that part of my order.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 02/14/13 at 05:34:02

I dropped Steve a note seeking to get some additional color around this statement:
Quote:
Cryo Treated Beeswax coupling capacitors in place of standard poly film caps for increased resolution, (even higher than VCAPs) and a more organic sound.

If that's the reality, seems like a no-brainer.

IP Logged
mmlogic
Verified Member

Reply #50 - 02/15/13 at 03:49:22

I wonder how GRADO PS1000 will sound with this beautiful machine, haven't listened to LCD2 for a long time since I got my PS1000.

IP Logged
polys
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 02/15/13 at 10:17:59

From reports the Taboo is an excellent match for Grado's.
Good news for me, because I'll be using the SR325i + LCD-2r2.
Do the PS1000's respond to amping the same as the other Grado's though?

Here's some quotes from Headfi

Quote:
SemiAudiophile
I take back what I said earlier, it sounds fantastic with my Magnum Grado's as well; super detailed, spacious, tight, and dynamic. I think I just had a gain/sensitivity issue earlier.

Quote:
Nick Dangerous
The Decware Taboo pumps out some really nice bass. It must be due to the fully tube-rectified circuit. It's very nice. In fact, it's just the ticket for Grados. They really kick on the Taboo. Another difference is the aptly-named "Lucid Mode", a kind of natural tube crossfeed which expands the soundstage. It's noticeable, it's interesting, I like the effect, and again... it's just the ticket for Grados which typically have a soundstage about the size of a frozen pea. It could very well be that the Taboo ends up being my new favorite Grado amp.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 02/18/13 at 04:42:01

Checked with Steve, and he is a big fan of the cryo beeswax caps. So, I am foregoing the VCAPS.

IP Logged
MoNelly
Verified Member

Reply #53 - 02/18/13 at 06:08:26

Would a switch that lets you move between headphone and speaker outputs be possible? I seem to remember reading about that option on previous amps, but also seem to remember Steve not liking its sonic impact. Would be nice to not have to unplug speaker cables...

IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #54 - 02/19/13 at 17:49:29

Steve described the speaker/phones switch as a mistake IIRC. That said, my late 2011 taboo was delivered with the switch. It sounds terrific.

Pale Rider, good to know Steve highly rates the beeswax caps. Thanks for following up.

IP Logged
AiDee
Verified Member

Reply #55 - 02/20/13 at 02:26:15

polys/mmlogic: Just tried my Grado RS1. Changing between CSP2+ and Taboo is very noticeable.

CSP2 very smooth; Taboo very dimensional and holographic. Lucid mode makes a large difference. Rather seductive.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 02/20/13 at 02:30:11

[font=Times New Roman]I asked for a speaker cutoff switch on mine when it was up there having the headphone modification put in. It works fine. I, too, notice a lot of added weight and dimensionality when using the TABOO as opposed to the CSP2+ with my Sennheiser HD580's. [/font]

« Last Edit: 02/20/13 at 02:30:40 by Rivieraranch »  

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 02/23/13 at 01:02:21

Folks,

I have been craving the Taboo sound, and apparently, like others who seem to have found it too low volume for their particular speakers or room never went there. Now that Steve has addressed this, I ordered one as an alternate amp to my Torii MkIII (with my Zstage in mind in front), as a Decware backup amp in case of the dreaded event when the Torii has to go back to IL, a chance to hear these famously transparent tubes and lucid mode, and finally, I realize I will probably like the headphone experience too and this could be a great thing.....

I have never been a headphone guy except recording, and have to admit, now that I made the decision on the Taboo, I am excited about the possibility of headphone listening...never gave it much thought before this.

So first question...why 4 pin or three pin on ordering the balanced plugs. Is four compatible with three, or are they mutually exclusive. Thoughts on what I should order???

Also, for those of you with headphone listening experience, which phones should I be window shopping as I wait for the Taboo?

Thanks.

Will

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 02/23/13 at 19:17:03

Will, 3-pin mini-XLR will require two plugs/jacks. 4-pin is a single plug/jack, and so, if you have two sockets, you can have two listeners. Whether OEM or aftermarket, the headphone market is flooded with reasonably priced and preposterously priced versions of both. Check out this thread, and millions of others, on Head-Fi.

With my New Taboo [has a nice ring] on the way, I am getting my Audez'e set up for 4-pin, and swapping the Thunderpants over to the Liquid Fire.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 02/24/13 at 02:45:24

Thanks Greg

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print