Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/14 at 12:27:35

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RFT EZ81 rectifiers opening up! (Read 4362 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: RFT EZ81 rectifiers opening up!
Reply #30 - 02/06/13 at 10:56:38

You're right, Lon. I never would have imagined the versatility imbedded in this tube gear until I read about it here, and even then I was skeptical.

Now, I feel much more familiarized with my amp (another tube-rolling benefit), to the point I can even sort of guess the types of tubes I need to concentrate on, and the relationships among them as a function of sound tweaking.

I could not be happier with the improvements a simple driver change (essentially) can bring about in the Mini. This, and replacing rectifiers and output tubes have really fine tuned the amp's performance to fit my particular system's conditions.

Bravo, Decware!

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 02/06/13 at 13:25:35

FB,

The 6K6's have a little less power than the 6V6 and they sound similar.
I have 2 pairs, Hytron and NU. I like the Hytrons better. That said, I am going to stick with 6V6's. I have a few pairs of old stock tubes but for the $$$ the Tung Sol re-issues are, IMHO, hard to beat. I have a pair of the Gold Lion re-issues, they are very good but are 2X the price of the Tung Sol and not, IMHO, 2X better. One thing about the Mini is that some input tubes that I liked a lot in other amps did not work out. Just the way it is.

Les

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #32 - 02/06/13 at 17:52:05

Thanks for your input, Les.

I take it, then, that the best sounding 6V6's in your system (that you have tried) are the Gold Lions?

With so many 12AU7's and 12AT7's out there, it will be hard indeed to select the right one for my second driver choice (essentially, the one which could be on a universal role, that can get along with all of my 3 6V6's, including the black glass Russian from Reflektor).

I'm thinking a 12AU7, maybe paired with an OB3 (rather than OA3) would hopefully achieve the same balanced and detailed sound I'm getting from the Brimar 12AT7 coupled with the OA3, and at the same time able to create synergy with the 'edgy' Russian 6V6, as 12AU7's tend to be smoother relative to 12AT7's. But I'm just guessing here.

David

« Last Edit: 02/06/13 at 19:51:28 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print