Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/24/14 at 07:03:00

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
RFT EZ81 rectifiers opening up! (Read 6423 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

RFT EZ81 rectifiers opening up!
12/21/12 at 00:48:12

Just in case anyone is interested, I can report further tangible improvements with these.  They're about burned-in by now, and I can certainly hear the sound opening up and a more defined imaging and soundstage.

One of the things that stand out now is a fuller body presentation.  No more 'laid-back' issues as initially reported, instead, a very rich texture, cleanly defined and with just the right musical pace IMHO.

I still consider the whole system's sound slightly on the warm side (there are those who actually prefer this), but these rectifiers are adding material and density to a very vivid presentation.

I think because I'm using a Sub to complement the DM945's, on a relatively smaller listening room, with tube amplification and without proper vibration controls yet (eventually will incorporate some), it's not unexpected to get a somewhat darker overall presentation.

In general, though, the net result is great sound, making music really alive and enjoyable, but I would prefer just a tad more transparency without loosing the other attributes.

Next step will hopefully consist on trying NOS drivers (still waiting).  I think JJ's are fine, but maybe a good pair of NOS 12AU/T7's will get me where I want in terms of added transparency.  

Consider that I now I'm more demanding than before I acquired Decware equipment, as I did not know then what to expect from this gear.  All in all, the amp and the speakers are really synergetic and together constitute the core of one hell of a high-end system, at least to my ears.

Happy and peaceful holydays to all!

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Re: RFT EZ81 rectifiers opening up!
Reply #1 - 12/23/12 at 18:50:27

Good to hear that you are back in business. No news from the USPS yet.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 12/24/12 at 14:45:15

I, too have used the RFT EZ81 with good results. My MINI has the 7 pin rectifier socket; this allows me to use the 6X4 or the EZ80 or 81 with a 7-9 pin adapter. You can also use the EZ80 in this position as well.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #3 - 12/24/12 at 19:26:08

Thanks, Les.  I'm still hopeful the USPS's investigation conclusion will eventually help produce the package.

RR, I know from others' experiences (i.e., Les) the EZ80 may also be a good alternative. Seems to me the rectifier works very hard in the Mini, so 6x4's may be a potential reliability issue, although Steve originally chose these for their superior sonic attributes.

I suspect good NOS (i.e., RFT) rectifiers are more reliable and better sounding in the Mini than the original JJ's, or any other current production alternatives.  This is apparently a critical tube in the Mini.

« Last Edit: 12/25/12 at 01:36:36 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #4 - 12/24/12 at 22:00:44

I too substituted my JJ EZ81's with RFT EZ81's to good effect.  However, I found that experimenting with input tubes (which you have listed as a next step) had the greatest impact on tailoring the sound of my Mini Torii in terms of adding transparency/ flushing out details.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #5 - 12/25/12 at 01:48:06

Agreed. I just started with the rectifiers because one of them died on me, but the input drivers seem to have the power to really affect the sound. I meant 'critical' in referring to the rectifier tube due to it's lower overall reliability.

Could you share the type of drivers that helped achieve better transparency and detail (sort of moving slightly away from warmish), in your system?  Thanks.

« Last Edit: 12/25/12 at 01:58:31 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 12/25/12 at 03:26:27

Mazda/Cifte 12au7 - nice three dimensional presentation with lots of detail..  may be more than just a slight move away from warmish...depending on your speaker you may find that the top end sparkle that people associate with this tube (in a good way) can be a little bright...for me it was a tad bright with my Cain and Cain Super Abby's (Fostex 166e) but fine with my Hawthorne Silver Iris.

Amperex 7062 - A little more bold/rich and dynamic presentation with good detail.  More gain then a 12au7 but less than 12at7.  Right now I am enjoying this tube the best in my system (Mini Torii with Hawthorne Silver Iris 15')

Hope this helps

IP Logged
Gotog
Verified Member

Reply #7 - 12/25/12 at 03:57:45

Just wanted to add..  wouldn't want to turn you away from the Mazda 12au7..they are definitely fast, accurate, airy, and the most detailed option I have tried... definitely not warm but sweet...a good tube to have in your inventory...  just because they are so different...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #8 - 12/25/12 at 13:26:32

Thanks so much for the valuable information.  I think those Mazdas look interesting in my case.  My DM945's are slightly warmish by design (as per Steve's own description), so I need to open up the sound to get more transparency and detail.

7062's are quite more affordable these days, so those may be another good choice.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 12/25/12 at 23:57:32

If you got a 7-9 pin adapter you could play the 6X4 rectifier on that position. The 6X4 would not stress with a 6V6 power tube. It is  only when you would begin using a 6Y6 or 6L6 that the 6X4 could get stressed and possibly fail.

You might try a 5814 tube; it has more plate current than a 12AU7.

If you want bright try a 12Av7 tube. I found them to be unbearably bright in my TABOO.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 12/26/12 at 00:19:05

Got it, RR, thanks for the info on the 6x4's, I stand corrected.  

I definitely just want a tad more transparency and detailing, to compensate for the rest of my system's slight warmth.  I now have several potential avenues and will consider all the choices if that 'elusive' package containing other interesting choices doesn't eventually materialize.   Undecided

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 12/29/12 at 13:12:19

Tube package finally located in my local postal office, only thanks to USPS's investigation details.  Amazing!  I'll be reporting about some of these combinations in due time.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 12/29/12 at 16:32:51

I bet you were wondering if they were ever sent.  ;D

Just give the Brimars a long time to settle in. It will be painful  :o but hang in there.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #13 - 12/29/12 at 17:20:10

I never doubted it, for a minute.  I just didn't know what to think about its whereabouts.  And, yes I know the Brimars take forever and a day to burn-in.   Smiley

« Last Edit: 12/29/12 at 19:57:36 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 12/29/12 at 20:30:32

So glad that package finally made it! Happy new year!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print