Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/30/14 at 04:04:35

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
ZKIT-1  SE84 DIY Point to Point (Read 2890 times)
mboxler

Re: ZKIT-1  SE84 DIY Point to Point
Reply #15 - 12/10/12 at 17:43:11

Great to hear from you again, Matt.  

When I finally got the kit in the chassis and fired it up, I got a noticable hum  :-?

Tore out everything (I had temporary connections) down to the power transformer.  It was the transformer.  Powered up my other transfomer (which was sitting near..by itself), no hum.  At that time, I realized the second transformer was sitting on a large rubber grommet.  When I removed the grommet, HUM.  The hum turns out to be 60 (?) Hz vibration from the power transformer resonating what ever it's sitting on.  In my case...it was the chassis.  I pressed hard on the chassis near the tranformer, and the hum almost went away.  I screwed on the wood sides (which were left off during the test), and the chassis vibration was greatly reduced.  I have my transformer on nylon bushings.

I still have a small amount of hum, but nothing like I had to begin with.

Mike

IP Logged
hartbigsky
Verified Member

Reply #16 - 02/18/13 at 00:20:50

I am currently doing pcb with mods [RCA's, binding post, etc ] goal is to learn enough to do full PTP build of the Zen with tube rec. and bias switch, based on youtube zen amp build in 12 parts, it is pretty good except it missed bias switch wiring. You still have to have a good feel for what you are doing to start, I've probably watched 30 times already. And then there is matching transformers of original product. This is more fun than I ever imagined! Good luck all!
Steve

IP Logged
mboxler

Reply #17 - 02/18/13 at 18:53:05

Hi Steve

Keep us posted on your progress.  Do you have the original schematics with the tube rectifier?  Enjoy the build!

Mike

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print