Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/31/14 at 05:07:53

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ZP3 phono pre hum problem! (Read 9919 times)
rmcfee
Verified Member

Re: ZP3 phono pre hum problem!
Reply #15 - 12/02/12 at 22:58:50

I tried grounding the arm and table to the Zen in various combos but no luck.
 I tried a cheater plug ( 2 prong adaptor if i am understanding this ) but also no luck.
 Also tried grounding the motor to the Zen and table etc etc etc .
 Getting a little crazy here. Only a fellow audiophile would understand!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 12/02/12 at 23:59:31

Don't go crazy here. If we can't help you solve this call Steve Deckert. He is the final authority on these things.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 12/03/12 at 01:54:21

What else are you using in the system, amp, other source?

I agree that calling Steve is the next step.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
rmcfee
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 12/03/12 at 02:36:28

Haha! Thanks. I won't go crazy yet. I will talk to Steve tomorrow or whenever he has time.
  The system is:  a Tripp Lite Isolation Transformer to plug everything into. It is plugged into a dedicated outlet.
  The amp is a Bryston B100 SST integrated. Also a Bryston crossover so I can send the lowest stuff to a subwoofer (HSU UL15)
   The table is a VPI Scoutmaster 2.  The speakers are Mirage OM-7s.
   Thanks for the help, by the way.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 12/03/12 at 03:17:10

Thanks for the info. I don't see anything jumping out as a possible source of hum. I did use a Tripplite isolation transformer (two actually, one for digital and one for analog) and I found that one or the other of them was introducing some noise (not specifically hum) that went away when I began using PS Audio Duet power centers and then the PS Audio Power Plant Premier. But I may have had a defective unit (though another here has heard the sonic effect of a Tripplite).

Every time I've had severe hum problems in my system it was either an unshielded interconnect too near power cords, or a tube causing the hum. If you've changed out every tube, and have put in unshielded interconnects, those aren't the reasons. I know you've done all I could think to do. Steve may have further ideas.

I hope Steve can get you humless soon!

« Last Edit: 12/03/12 at 03:20:16 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #20 - 12/04/12 at 13:31:53

A Scoutmaster 2 -very nice Smiley. What cart. are you using?
I grounded mine by attaching the wire to the silver ring that goes around the top of the motor. I poped off once and the diff in the sound is very easy to hear between cuts or during quiet parts.
I am using the speed controller so maybe that is cuasing my problem.
John

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Sonata1, Counterpoint pre amp and amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Proac sp. and home made subs. Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables, Decware IC, ZKit 1.
  IP Logged
rmcfee
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 12/04/12 at 14:25:58

Hi John. It's a Dynavector 20X2 high output MC. I just got it recently and it seems great.  I have the option of trading it for a Soundsmith Zephyr that lots of people rave about (more money too!) .
 Not sure if I'll do that or not.

IP Logged
Robbls
Verified Member

Reply #22 - 12/05/12 at 08:43:56

Talk about with friends

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 12/05/12 at 15:28:35

I`m interested to find the cause of your hum rm. I have the same small hum. Tried all sorts of earthing including using the central heating  radiator and turning the fridge off. I use the step up with it and thought the extra amp gain or nor quite having a perfect ohm match for the cart might be causing it. I also use the dyno cart you have, but the L version, and really like it.
Opening up the ZP3 is an option I wont do unless I know what to look for. The hum is small enough not to concern me as I listen at moderate levels.
Then there is a possibilty that equipment needs repositioning and I`m happy to wait until new amps arrive when I will have chance to reposition the whole system and if that doesn`t work I will tackle the hum with a must do attitude.
I`ll have another go, as I think it`s not the step up now. It made no difference whether the su was earthed or not.

« Last Edit: 12/05/12 at 16:02:15 by marky »  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 12/05/12 at 17:02:46

Awesome Marky! Glad that has been taken care of.

I hope rm has been able to talk to Steve?

« Last Edit: 12/05/12 at 17:24:55 by Lon »  

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 12/05/12 at 17:06:03

Lon, erm sorry.
I had the phonos in and out to the ZM3 the wrong way. No change. I`ll delete the last post.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , Rega P3,RB300 (silver Litz), Rega wall mount, DV 20XL, Nakamichi LX5, M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 12/05/12 at 17:13:32

Oops. Well, hope you can get this squared away. Have you tried calling Steve?

IP Logged
rmcfee
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 12/05/12 at 17:27:27

I talked to Steve and he spent a long time troubleshooting with me on the phone. Unfortunately we determined that the ZP3 was not compatible with my common gear.
   We exhausted all grounding, cabling, distance of components, etc,etc.
   Somehow this phono stage won't work with a VPI/Dynavector /Bryston setup.
   So I sent it back and will probably have to eat shipping and $277. customs fees (I'm in Canada) just to audition a unit that apparently isn't designed to be used with common gear.
  Steve was great to deal with however, very friendly and knowledgeable.  I had not expected the ZP3 to be so finicky.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #28 - 12/05/12 at 17:36:39

Really sorry to hear that. I have a Rega RP3, a new but pretty common gear, and have no issues at all so I'm surprised.

Glad that this has at least been exhaustively worked out.

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 12/05/12 at 17:50:36

What I can say is that after removing the step up and putting the deck straight into the ZP3 the same small hum is there and remains the same with or without using any earth config or not using the earth jack on the ZP3 . I have a double wall socket one of which feeds the power conditioner and has a dedicated earth connector that I routed  the decks 2 earths and ZP3 onto. The other socket is for e/stats, lamps, comp, on a basic 6 way strip strip.
Yes it seems odd that putting the jack into the ZP3 with all the earths connected has no effect at all.

« Last Edit: 12/05/12 at 17:53:44 by marky »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print