Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 01:28:14

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Loudness imbalance in speakers: (Read 7286 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Loudness imbalance in speakers:
11/26/12 at 23:40:57

OK, first a long-shot of my system / room...

I'm experiencing a disparity in apparent loudness favoring the right speaker... Using basic Decware gear, there is no way to change the balance... Even my Decware CDP has a ganged stereo output pot...

Another thing is that I have zero leeway in moving the speakers, as they must be on the console table in the shown position...

Any ideas here?... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Re: Loudness imbalance in speakers:
Reply #1 - 11/27/12 at 00:04:58

First thing first. Swap speaker cables side for side to make sure problem follows, to rule out speakers.
Then swap interconnects to rule out source.

« Last Edit: 11/27/12 at 00:06:48 by Donnie »  

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/27/12 at 00:26:25

Right... I swapped ICs, output tubes, speaker wire, and even swapped the speakers themselves... The volume still favors the right side...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/27/12 at 00:44:01

Cool speakers Mark, what are they?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/27/12 at 00:47:55

Tang Band D3-1 back loaded horn speakers... They come in a kit form directly from TB...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/27/12 at 00:59:00

Quote:
I swapped ICs, output tubes, speaker wire, and even swapped the speakers themselves...

Weird! When you switched the speaker wires, was it the speaker end only. This could identify it as the amp.

Is this a new amp?

I suppose it is possible that some weird room canceling is happening. I would call Steve tomorrow. Great trouble shooter, and the fixer if is in the amp.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #6 - 11/27/12 at 01:02:52

I think your right speaker is adding the amplitude of resonance from the right hand side wall to the original signal.  Your left hand speaker is less constrained by walls, comparatively speaking.

Try to hang some kind of cloth on that wall, and see if this balances out the volume bias.  If it does, there's need to put some absorption material there, permanently, with an acceptable 'WAF'

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/27/12 at 01:05:01

(@ Will)  Hi... No, swapped the speaker wires completely... I think I may be looking at a speaker / room interface problem here... As you can see, the right speaker has much more wall behind it on both sides, and an adjacent corner... Funny thing is, I can put my left ear right up to both, and the right speaker still seems to be louder... Of course, this can still be because of the rear wall...

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/27/12 at 01:10:31

(@ Fireblade)  I have no wife... Do I need to get one before I do the mod you suggested?...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/27/12 at 01:10:55

And/or, toe the the right speaker in in small progressive increments. And/or try toeing in both the same way. This could possibly change room reflections and cancelation. Worth a test anyway.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/27/12 at 01:17:13

Good idea... It might make a small difference... Only thing is, the cone point metal discs are seated pretty well on the table... I'll have to unstick them...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #11 - 11/27/12 at 01:19:25

Not really, Mark   Smiley  

I think the problem is compounded by the proximity of the back wall.  I assume you must be hearing slight echoes/reverberation, to a certain extent, possibly correlating with volume pot position?

Even if that speaker is tilted to the left, you may still experience resonance addition (overlapping) sound waves through the back-firing ports also.  I woud just hang a large beach towel there, just to check.

An even easier test would be to slide that table in an arc, from right to left, with the left speaker position as pivot, to momentarily place that right speaker farther from that corner.

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
jpv
Seasoned Member

Cause inside
everyone is a heavy
metal kid

Reply #12 - 11/27/12 at 01:22:37

If you can't trace it to the equipment then it is the room. Looking at the room it looks like thr rt. side is closer to a wall then the left.
If you stand between the speaker the sound should be very focused and from the center. If it sounds diffused try swapping the +- on one speaker only. If it sounds more difussed switch it back.
It maybe early relections coming from the right wall. For a fast test hang a heavy blanket on it. Although it is not the best way to test it, it may show you what the problem is.
I would place some broadband absorbtion on the rt wall to help balance the room anyway.

VPI Scoutmaster, Grado Sonata1, Counterpoint pre amp and amp (modded by Altavista Audio), Proac sp. and home made subs. Lots of room treatment. Anti-cable sp cables, Decware IC, ZKit 1.
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 11/27/12 at 01:29:23

I think I'm looking at a speaker / wall proximity problem here... Everything else is in good order... I would say about a 3db+ difference across the spectrum... It really does make a difference in the soundstage...

There are no rear ports on these speakers... They are full-range back-loaded horns, but the horn mouth is front firing... I chose these because I knew the speakers would be almost against the back wall...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/27/12 at 01:42:39

Quote:
An even easier test would be to slide that table in an arc, from right to left, with the left speaker position as pivot, to momentarily place that right speaker farther from that corner.

Maybe, but the toeing test is still relevant. It will cause reflections to change pattern, and possibly combing cancelation. 3db is notable alright.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print