Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/29/14 at 05:11:31

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NEW MINI TORII - VERSION II (Read 7219 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

NEW MINI TORII - VERSION II
11/25/12 at 00:20:15

Web Page : http://www.decware.com/newsite/minitoriise.htm

Safe to say with the popularity of our 2009 released Mini Torii, very few have actually heard how good it can get... but that all changed this fall when we did our final re-design of the amplifier's chassis.  

We changed from an aluminum plate to a steel plate adding 150% more mass to the mini torii.  Then we put a black 1930's typewriter finish on it that frankly made the entire amp look twice as expensive.  
The four coupling caps were upgraded to a level even higher than we could achieve with VCAPs in this amplifier. Cryo treated beeswax and foil with silver leads by Jupiter are now being used.

And the last but perhaps most outrageous is the two switches that turned on or off the OC2 regulator tubes were eliminated in favor of a 10 position pot that allows you to reduce the feedback from it's factory setting of 6dB all the way down to nothing unleashing the raw speed and attack this amp is capable of. Just one click on the dial brings a huge amount of midrange presence and additional detail and openness. Two clicks is even more - probably too much for some. However, there are occasions where even less is desirable - like on certain speakers, or when the amp is used to drive the center channel in movies where more articulation is desirable.

This is the Mini Torii at it's fully realized potential, both visually and sonically.  

For those with white mini torii's, the adj feedback mod is $100 and the Cryo treated Jupitor Caps are $300 which will bring your amp up to spec with the current production version II.

WWW   IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: NEW MINI TORII - VERSION II
Reply #1 - 11/25/12 at 01:18:24

Dear Mr. Deckert ... Starting now, I'm going to save as much as I can to get these mods, some day.  When I bought the Mini, early this year, I new a 2009 model had to be revised sometime soon.  I just did not imagine the fabulous upgrade level involved, especially with those unique caps you like so much.  

I imagine the mods need to be done at your shop, so for me it is a significant logistical complication.  We'll see how we can circunvent this.

May I ask why the 150% increased mass (from the new steel chassis) is beneficial?  Vibrations control maybe?  What about magnetic field issues with a steel chassis?

I may be wrong, of course, but I thought some moderate negative feedback reduces distortions in class A amps (or make it more stable, or something).  I infer from your announcement the tradeoff of this needed feedback is a slower reacting response to dynamic demands on the amp?

I'm assuming the new caps really make a substantial difference in sound quality, other things being equal?

Will the mods be optional on the new (version II) model?  I ask because I saw the new price going up only $100 (the new Mini Torii sales page is not online yet.)

I'm sorry for all these questions, I'm just excited about the possibilities  :)

Congrats for yet another winner design update, I'm sure!

« Last Edit: 11/25/12 at 01:25:36 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 11/25/12 at 02:00:41

Great Steve! Now just don't change the Torii Mk III. Smiley

Sure looks like a winner.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/25/12 at 03:31:01

Gorgeous!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #4 - 11/25/12 at 06:52:16

Looks (twice as) lovely as usual....

The Mini Tor(II) is aptly named. Wink

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/25/12 at 15:16:07

It is high time for a Version II of this wonderful little amp. I look forward to it.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/25/12 at 16:31:34

Gee...I just got mine. I guess the honeymoon had to end sometime. Smiley

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/25/12 at 20:53:55

More photos, Les!

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Clos1981
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 11/27/12 at 17:26:37

Hi Steve,

Im currently on the waiting list for a Mini Torii (invoice 3430).  My order was placed before this newer model came out.  Will I be getting the older version of the Mini Torii Cry or the newer sexier and improved version Huh??

Regards
Carlos

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/27/12 at 19:01:45

Riveria,

I have had mine for three months. It is the 'retired' model.

Les

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/27/12 at 22:04:22

Carlos,

The quickest way to get in touch would be via phone.  Sarah is extremely helpful.

JD

IP Logged
Clos1981
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/27/12 at 22:12:49

Thanks JD. Ive already P.M. Steve, hopefully I'll get a reply soon. If not I'll phone Sarah tomorrow.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 11/28/12 at 01:57:12

Hey Les:

Mine is a 2010 model with 6X4 (EZ90) rectifiers. I have 7 to 9 pin converters so I could use the EZ80 6CA4 rectifier if I wanted to. I might send mine in for the updates that Steve rolled out. I'll never run the amp with the 0C2 tubes off, thus don't mind giving up those on/off switches.

You should keep yours around for a while before you contemplate doing this.

IP Logged
JazztoGo
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/29/12 at 00:55:27

Alrighty upgrade time! Cool
Well looks like I am going to be sending in my mini torii for some
upgrades  :D.  Poor old girl could use a nice tune up lol

Love decware stuff!

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/29/12 at 11:28:06

RR,

I never run mine with the regulators off either and I see no need to change anything at this time. I almost used Jupiter caps in my amp but went with Jensen. Both are very good...not that the stock caps were bad.

Les

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print