Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/17/14 at 20:05:59

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
NEW MINI TORII - VERSION II (Read 5060 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: NEW MINI TORII - VERSION II
Reply #30 - 01/28/13 at 01:14:18

I owned the MINI TORII serial number three, the one that they based the ongoing production models on. The MINI TORII is special indeed. Particularly impressive is the stereo separation, which is the first thing I noticed with mine. Then it was startling to turn off the OC2 tubes and listen to the sound without them. I would turn them right back on again. It is not surprising that the Version II leaves the OC2's on all the time. Jupiter caps and adjustable feedback I am certain make a great amp even better.  Also EZ81 rectification eliminated problems with the delicate but wonderful sounding 6X4.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #31 - 01/28/13 at 02:19:39

Hi BW, congrats on the new Mini!

I appreciate your observations, and that you seem happy with that particular option, except you haven't spoken about noticing sound quality tradeoffs involved when you bypass/reduce the design feedback of 6 Db for something less than that ideal.

The amp was voiced to have a special sonic signature and presumably optimized for sound quality at 6 Db negative feedback. Evidently, the dynamics are released when the feedback loop is reduced, but the tradeoff is supposed to be higher distortion. Since Beam Tetrodes (i.e. 6V6) or Pentodes, do not behave as linearly as Triodes, this feedback is much needed to avoid higher distortion levels throughout the frequency range.

My only contention is why would one buy a Class 'A' SEP if one would be willing to trade some of its inherent SQ for more dynamics? Why not choose a PP design in the first place? A little bit of 'both worlds' in the same amp, perhaps?  I'm just curious.

This is all technical and beyond our musical enjoyment objective, of course, but I'm interested to know if you have heard increased sound distortion along with the increased dynamics involved in bypassing or reducing the negative feedback during those passages.

I would be happy to learn from your inputs in this regard.  Thanks!

« Last Edit: 01/28/13 at 04:45:56 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
BadWolf
Verified Member

Reply #32 - 01/28/13 at 04:59:13

Thanks Lon!

IP Logged
BadWolf
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 01/28/13 at 05:17:45

Thanks Fireblade, I couldn't be happier with it!

About tradeoff, it's a bit hard to answer because so far I've adjusted the feedback to give favorable results, if they aren't I simply return the setting to where it sounds best. A lot has to do with the production of the recording, some benefit from it much more than others. I suppose an example of a tradeoff that occurs sometimes would be that lowering the feedback improves the sound of the guitar but makes cymbals louder and harsher. In this case I just pick the setting that sounds best overall to me.

I struggle to make blanket statements about it because every recording and instrument is affected differently. Some a slight change will improve everything with no real tradeoff that I can notice. Others the same adjustment will be unpleasant and give a harsher in your face kind of sound. There is always the default setting though, and I have yet to come across anything that sounds bad using that.

So far I've found only small adjustments from the default to be useful. Setting it to zero feedback gives a similar sound to playing music through an instrument amplifier.

As to your question of why, I'd say to have more options. It's something that could be left alone, or it can be experimented with and you might find some recordings really benefit from just a little adjustment. Kind of like the treble shunt, or tube rolling, it's just another option. If my amp didn't have it I would want it added.

I haven't noticed any distortion occurring from simply adjusting the feedback. Also I'm just starting out building my HiFi system, the Mini is the only part worth mentioning so unfortunately I'm not the best person to ask about some of this. Though I hope what I have said is useful. It's a wonderful amp with or without mod. If you're really curious getting the mod might be the best way to answer your questions. Especially if you're sending your amp in for a different reason, at worst you'd be out $100 and have a couple knobs you don't use.

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #34 - 01/28/13 at 11:17:07

BW,

Thanks so much for the thorough reply. I see your points and you're probably right.  There must be instances where a device like that may come in useful, especially given the huge variation in the quality of recordings.

I personally would be more interested in the caps upgrade, but I can see now the usefulness of being able to further tweak the recording playback more to your liking.

The Mini Torii is a great little amp, and so far I don't miss any dynamics in my system. My main objective, therefore, is to get the best sound out of it, and so the idea of trading that for more dynamic potential just didn't ring a bell.

Once you have yours fully broken-in, you'll really appreciate its real potential.  I'm sure those caps will be quite helpful getting there.

Enjoy it!

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print