Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 12:31:46

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks (Read 10287 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks
Reply #45 - 11/30/12 at 17:35:27

Yes, under the HR-1s: two in the front one in the back, stable. I see no need for four.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #46 - 11/30/12 at 17:55:20

orangecrush wrote on 11/30/12 at 15:36:57:
Symposium claims nothing is better and ceramic is very poor in comparison.

I'm happy with the balls supplied right now. It's funny, Nordost seems to love ceramic balls.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #47 - 11/30/12 at 18:10:12

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 12/01/12 at 00:05:39

Couldn`t resist this from a happy customer from Donnies thread  :)
We all know how difficult it is finding quality tungsten carbide balls. You go to your local tungsten carbide ball store and pick one up off the shelf, only to get home and find that your tungsten carbide ball isn't round enough, or it's not shiny enough, or it's not tungsteny enough. And there would be wailing and the gnashing of teeth, "Why? Why, Lord, can't someone produce a decent tungsten carbide ball?" I can now report that the Almighty has heard your prayers, and behold, the Small Parts tungsten carbide ball, grade 25. If you put a Small Parts tungsten carbide ball on an inclined plane, believe me, it will roll down said plane. Those bargain brand tungsten carbide balls: who knows what they'll do? These little guys are stiffer than steel, denser than titanium, and make excellent Christmas stocking stuffers. Tungsten carbide rules!

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 12/01/12 at 00:22:14

I saw that too, funny! Grin

Regarding ceramic, I think in this application it would not be the best match for the aluminum cups as noted below.

Mike diamond polishes the Tungsten Carbide bearings so $12 is still a pretty fair price all things considered. Symposium charges far more!

From Symposium:
Similarly, listening tests in different systems with various components confirmed that Tungsten Carbide was the best ball bearing material. While many might assume that this is due to Tungsten Carbide's extreme hardness, Tungsten Carbide's excellent mechanical transmission qualities, which are close to aluminum, make it a better "match" to aluminum alloy and thus a better choice than ceramic balls (which have slightly greater hardness but inferior transmission characteristics) for preserving mechanical transmissivity through the entire Rollerblock structure, a primary design consideration.

« Last Edit: 12/01/12 at 06:03:14 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #50 - 12/03/12 at 13:49:43

Mike emailed me that he bought a new tool for machining the aluminum and now the spherical cavity is better machined and he thinks there's a new sonic benefit. New ones will be the new machining.

IP Logged
setamp
Verified Member

Reply #51 - 12/04/12 at 13:51:13

Lon,  I'll be interested to hear how the blocks work under your PWD MkII.  I am using this dac and am looking for a way to tone down the lower treble / upper mids.  I am using ceramic cones currently which are better than nothing and better than herbies tenderfeet but I suspect there is a more optimal solution.  I am running the PWD MkII with 2.02 firmware into my CSP2+ / Taboo with LCD2.1 headphones.  It's a good rig but with just a little hardness to overcome.

IP Logged
Robbls
Verified Member

Reply #52 - 12/05/12 at 08:45:04

Talk about with friends

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 12/08/12 at 13:50:41

SETamp, sorry I missed your post. I've got Herbie's Iso-Cups under my PWD Mk II with Deep Moss Quartz 1" balls (set up so that the balls don't make contact with the felt) and I'm very happy with this, considerably different than Tenderfeet and seems to not have any hardness (I had some treble hardness initially but after 500 hours or so I think it burned away, and I use the treble cut circuit on my Torii to tailor treble for my whole system, that may be helping too). I recently played around with just having the PWT sit on top of the PWD, and on Tenderfeet but found that if I use the same balls in Iso-Cups under it as well and avoid having the balls sit on the felt pads I get the best results for Redbook.

I love this DAC, it's great with hi-res through optical or coaxial, and I think I love the Redbook so much in part because I use the PWT and its HDMI connection; I think having the I2S connection makes a difference. Although not as pronounced as with the Torii, location of the Iso-Cups makes a significant sonic difference.

In between my last posts I've done some thinking and I think I will try the Ingress Audio rollerblocks under the PWD in time but my plans for my next pair is to try them under the CSP2+ as that will influence the sound from all my sources (PWT/PWD, Blu-ray and DVR through PWD, ZP3). I expect the rollerblocks to work better than the Herbie's Tenderfeet there now. If I can then order other sets of rollerblocks I'll try them under the PWT and under the PWD and perhaps after that the ZP3. If you decide to order a set and try them under the PWD before I do, let me know how they sound.

will, if you order three, I've now mine configured with one in the front and two in the back, seems better this way.

« Last Edit: 12/08/12 at 14:04:50 by Lon »  

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 12/08/12 at 14:45:45

Thanks Lon,

Have not ordered yet, but hope too.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 12/12/12 at 02:38:11

Received my forth set today for my power conditioner and also some of the tungsten carbide balls. The new bearings weigh almost twice as much. It's too early to form impressions yet, but i did notice the new bearings make listening at lower volumes much more satisfying.

« Last Edit: 12/12/12 at 02:52:43 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #56 - 12/12/12 at 02:51:40

Cool! I'm still waiting on my second order. I'm going to try them  under the CSP2+ where I think they'll have a chance to shine. Don't think I'm going to spring for carbide balls.

If I can I may squeeze in another order at the end of next week. . . I'll be out of town for eight days which will help with the long waiting period for them to arrive.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #57 - 12/12/12 at 21:45:58

So OC, any difference/improvement with the rollerblocks under the power conditioner?  I've tried different footers under mine but I"m not sure there's any big differences. . . . .

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 12/13/12 at 01:42:33

Hey Lon, I can't say I can hear a difference with the power conditioner. I think, that because it's so heavy, the spikes did a good job. The biggest change was on the speakers and then the Dac. I am playing with the tungsten bearings right now.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #59 - 12/13/12 at 03:17:17

Interesting. I'm still waiting for my second order, going to go under the CSP2+. . . . If it's a keeper there I'll try another set next year under the DAC.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print