Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 22:31:27

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks (Read 10298 times)
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks
11/20/12 at 23:54:17

Received my Ingress Audio Engineering Isolation Roller Blocks for my Anedio D2 Dac and also my Zu SuperFly Speakers.

One word: WOW.  :)

This is the biggest tweak I have made to made system to date. They are also beautifully made and hand polished. For $65 per set of three standard roller blocks, they are a real bargain. Here are pics before I get to how they sound:

I ordered one set of three for my Dac shown here:

I also ordered 2 sets of four for my speakers with threaded holes on the top of the upper cups to thread into my speakers:

Here they with the threaded insert installed:

Upper cup threaded into the Zu SuperFly:

Installation complete:

Under the Anedio D2 Dac:

Another view:

Ok, they look good, how do they sound: Wow. When I said this is the single biggest tweak so far, I mean it. It is on par with the difference the Audiophilleo with PurePower made to my system. They are extremely neutral and not tone controls. There is a very noticeable increase of transparency and resolution, both high and low level detail. I also noted a more focused and cohesive sound stage, but more importantly for me, a much more fluid, organic and relaxed sound. No trace of the 'digital' harshness or edge that I cannot stand.

Interestedly, the improvement is very similar to the benefits of low jitter with the addition of the Audiophilleo and battery PurePower. That change was especially obvious for me with high resolution recordings. It made them sound glorious, so natural, organic, fluid and relaxed. I found compelled to listen to music louder then my CD quality music. Zero irritation for long listening periods. The Ingress Audio's Isolation Bearings has now brought my regular CD quality recordings up to almost the same level as my high rez music. I can no longer hear such a large difference between the two.

I am so impressed with these babies. The best $65 tweak, I have tried. It very cool is touch the speakers or dac and see them rock back and forth effortlessly. They feel like they hovering in mid air.

Mike is a pleasure to deal with and he gladly made custom threaded ones for my speakers for a small machining cost.

I have not tried them under the Torri yet, but somehow I think Herbies Iso-Cups just can't be beat for open chassis tube amplifiers.  One day I will try them out. I think though, I will order another custom threaded set for my heavy Balanced Power Transformer. I never felt the standard spikes did much.

Here is the website: http://www.ingress-engineering.ca

I believe he offers generous return policy if you don't like them.

« Last Edit: 11/21/12 at 00:00:33 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Ingress Audio - Bearing Isolation Roller Blocks
Reply #1 - 11/21/12 at 00:15:26

Thanks for the pics and the info. I ordered two sets of three shortly after you did, and plan to put them under my speakers first to check them out. I have a sort of primitive roller set up under them now (Herbie's acrylic balls in automotive freeze plugs) and they have given me a similar sonic benefit that you describe. Mine have been in the mail long enough that I expect them any day.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 11/21/12 at 00:32:45

Thats awesome Lon, I think you will really like them. Not sure how he makes money on these. I think they excel for digital components and speakers. Even though they are similar to Symposium RollerBlocks, Mike has put his own time and research into getting these just right.

The tried different spikes on my speakers and they all sounded harsher. I tried magnetic levitating feet and they sounded dead and dull. These do not seem alter the tone of the speakers, just increase the speakers resolution.

The threaded option for speakers makes it much easier to tweak speaker placement if you are by yourself.

Let me know if you try them on the Torii as I won't have any more time to play until the holidays. Have to go work to pay for all this stuff Cry

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #3 - 11/21/12 at 00:52:08

Are they aluminum or steel?
Uncle Donnie has a week off and machine tools at his disposal.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 11/21/12 at 00:58:09

I agree that cones don't cut it, and I had Herbie's Gliders under the speakers for a while but wasn't really convinced they improved the sound, they did make them sound different. As I said, my rudimentary roller block attempts (inspired by the system engineer Barry Diament uses) do make a similar difference, not altering the tonal balance but smoothening and deepening the sound. I'll post my impressions.

Probably won't try them under the Torii or elsewhere if they make a noticeable difference under the speakers, I'm very happy with the Iso-Cups there. Probably in time will order a few more pairs to try under CSP2+ and ZP3 if I like what these do.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 11/21/12 at 01:01:06

Donnie, follow the link OC posted, they show a number of photos. The base pieces are aluminum, the ball bearings are steel.

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #6 - 11/21/12 at 02:21:34

Those r sweet! Exactly what i was looking for.  They really class up the speaker...and they sound good? Gotta give em a try. Thanks OC  

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/21/12 at 02:36:25

He also offers tungsten carbide bearings for further experimentation.

I tried Herbies gliders as well, but was not wowed.

« Last Edit: 11/21/12 at 02:38:02 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/21/12 at 06:12:02

I was planning on ordering eight Herbie's gliders for my Decware MG944's,  but after reading this thread I'm not  interested in the gliders anymore.

Definitely will order eight of the Ingress Roller blocks in the near future.
Just debating if I should get them threaded with inserts? or not?

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/21/12 at 15:32:18

For large floor standing speakers the threaded inserts makes them much easier to work with. For bookshelf speakers I think you would not need them and the could just use 3 instead of 4.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 11/25/12 at 17:43:24

Still waiting for mine. . . Sad

Yesterday I removed my homemade roller bearing setup just to see what an impact it makes on the sound. Put them back in really quickly! They really do make a difference, and I'm eager to hear what the Ingress Audio roller blocks do under the same speakers (HR-1).

On a related isolation note I changed the interconnects I was using from ZP3 to CSP2+ from MAC Silver Quad + to my trusty old pair of TARA Labs RSC Reference. (Which was a very pleasing move). These form an arch between the two components because they are so stiff and rigid, and they sag apart a bit in the center of the arch. Just for grins I stuck a little isolation puck that I have from a Cambridge Audio DAC "Magic One" component I used to use in the gap between the two cables at the center of the arch. I noticed a subtle change, a tightening of the sound and a bit of bass warmth, welcome change. I wasn't sure I wasn't imagining it, but when my pal Dave was over last night I started with the puck out and when he went into the kitchen for a minute I slipped it in. About ten minutes later he said "What did  you do?" Well, he knows me, I like to do this sort of stuff from time to time, but he heard a bit of a change to the sound (we were listening to the Porcupine Tree "Anestethize" Blu-ray which is quite a hi-res sound). So. . . maybe this is something imagined. . . but it's a folie a deux.

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/25/12 at 18:51:55

OC ,how thick r those? I know on the Superflys u r supposed to start with a  1/4 inch gap and go from there. They look thicker than that.                          

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 11/25/12 at 18:57:49

Lon, Porcupine Tree? Nice, ive seen them live and they r awesome! Im still getting a hum in the speakers, not sure what to do.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 11/25/12 at 19:13:18

Is it possible that it's tube related? Is it coming through on both channels?

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #14 - 11/25/12 at 19:20:18

Rockn, it is one inch. With the tapered slots, floor gap is not a issue as long as you have a minimum of 1/4".

From 6 moons:

The Grieve loading always relied on a precise floor gap to function properly. The Essence circumvented possible user error by fixing the gap with its lacquered twin plinth. For the Soul, that detail was too complex. "The Soul instead has asymmetric slots on the bottom. The only requirement is that the cabinet sit at least 1/4 inch off the floor. We recommend and show long spikes since the Soul simply looks cooler when floating above the floor."

« Last Edit: 11/25/12 at 19:57:43 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print