11/26/14 at 12:52:15

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Psvane 12AT7 (Read 7092 times)
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Psvane 12AT7
11/07/12 at 14:46:56

I'm an old tube guy and took a chance with a pair of these. After 50 hours they are outstanding in the Mini Torii. Huge soundstage, excellent detail and extension, 3D etc. I tried a lot of NOS in this amp but these are really special. There is some serious synergy here with all the 6V6's I have. Russian OA3's, EZ80's and Hytron OC2's complete the line up.

Tubes are circuit and system dependent so YMMV.

I'm ready for the Flames.  8-)

« Last Edit: 11/07/12 at 17:13:54 by Les Lammers »  
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Re: Psvane 12AT7
Reply #1 - 11/07/12 at 18:52:50

No flames from me...

I was wondering about this tube, but I was hesitant to try. Maybe soon...

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 11/07/12 at 18:55:08

Glad to hear you're so happy with the Psvanes.  Could you compare them with the Brimars in all those attributes?  I know you like them better, evidently.  But how far second are those Brimars, in your opinion?  Again, this is a system-dependent issue and It may not reflect other people's conditions, but I'm curious.

Congrats on your find!

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #3 - 11/08/12 at 05:43:48

Hi Les,

I've been hearing lots of positive reviews about the PSVane tubes.

Thanks for posting your impressions.

Now we know that they work well in Decware too.

I've been eyeing the PSVane 300B tubes myself.
The NOS variants are just too darn expensive like the WE274b ... Etc.

For my next tube amp, I'll be picking up a 300B based SET amp.
I've always wanted to personally experience the "magic" behind these amps from the audio Golden Age of sound.  ;)

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 11/08/12 at 11:49:27

I've seen many posts elsewhere about these Pissvane tubes. I thought that many of them were posted by the makers to shill the reputation of these tubes.

Now after seeing your post, I have to face the possibility that at least this tube in that circuit works real well.

How much did these things cost? I have a problem with the way they are marketed and packaged, like jewelry.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #5 - 11/08/12 at 13:28:29

Grant Fidelity is selling a pair of Psvane 12AT7 for either US$99 (Best grade) or US$83 (Better Grade).

The price is inclusive of Worldwide delivery.

http://psvanetube.com/wordpress/store/products/12at7-t-pair/

Hmmm... I just noticed something interesting.

The innards of the Psvane 12AT7 are similar to a Lorenz Stuttgart 3 Mica PCC88/6922 tube.

Maybe that is the reason for their sonics?

« Last Edit: 11/08/12 at 13:31:07 by Lord Soth »  
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/08/12 at 23:25:39

Old Cary Grant Fidelity. I should have known. I suppose if you wanted two input tubes that you could trust to last a long time it might be worth it. But how long will these things last?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 11/09/12 at 00:14:50

Five years of heavy use perhaps?

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/14/12 at 12:03:27

Lord Soth, Grant has a super deal on a nice Shuguang 300B amp. For $799 delivered I am tempted. I've had 300B's before Psvane 300B's were around. In the amps I had the TJ perforated plate 300B's were very good. I actually preferred them to WE's.

Psvane small signal tubes: They are very good but still system and circuit dependent. Longevity? Time will tell. I bought mine from Grant
because I did not want to risk getting sub par samples. They are certainly top tier new production tubes. Very nice mid range and extended top to bottom in the Mini. They took a good while to settle in and I think that is because they are run conservatively. The red jewelry box is amusing.  ;D

« Last Edit: 11/14/12 at 12:45:13 by Les Lammers »  
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/14/12 at 12:15:13

Glad to hear you're so happy with the Psvanes.  Could you compare them with the Brimars in all those attributes?  I know you like them better, evidently.  But how far second are those Brimars, in your opinion?  Again, this is a system-dependent issue and It may not reflect other people's conditions, but I'm curious.

They are a bit more forgiving with lesser recordings than the Brimars and have a bit of warmth in the midrange. I use the treble cut more with the Brimars. Both are very good. Just different. At $22.90 a pair ya can't complain.  8-)

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/14/12 at 12:34:16

I've seen many posts elsewhere about these Pissvane tubes. I thought that many of them were posted by the makers to shill the reputation of these tubes.

Now after seeing your post, I have to face the possibility that at least this tube in that circuit works real well.

How much did these things cost? I have a problem with the way they are marketed and packaged, like jewelry.

I was skeptical too but, IMHO, they are worth the $99 shipped price. I think you may like them more than the Sylvania 12AT7's with the gold print. I got some after reading your posts. The first 12AT7's I tried in the Mini were Mullard 4024's from Upscale. Nice, but these are more open and extended.  They do more things right than a lot of NOS and that is not an easy feat. I hope this helps.

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #11 - 11/14/12 at 13:52:31

Hi Les,

Thanks for the intro on the Shuguang 300B tube amp.

If someone like "6 moons" has reviewed them thoroughly, I would be really tempted to pull out my wallet. For audio amp purchases, I'm the cautious type. Wink

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #12 - 11/14/12 at 14:58:37

Aside from the already peculiar wide range of non-substitute but acceptable output tube and voltage regulation alternatives in the Mini-Torii, don't you guys find it curious that it can also take as wide a range of input tubes as 6N1P, 12AU7, 12AT7, 12AX7 and even manages different spec rectifiers at the same time (i.e.,, EZ81, EZ80), when absolutely all such alternatives are definitely deemed as not substitutes in the valve literature?  Amazing! I wonder what are the (if any) trade-offs involved.

Sounds like a cliché, but this really implies having the possibility to change your amp according to your mood, room conds, cables, ancillary equipment changes, etc.

The only constant here is the low-power/high sensitivity speakers' scheme.  Everything else is modifiable.  In fact, I bet the ZStage (great concept!) can even further enhance the already incredible family of possible scenarios in a truly significant way ...  A true trigger for tube-holism and an endless source of creative interest!

And the music, Oh! the music ... such sounds.  All of the above would not mean anything if the end result wasn't the enhanced enjoyment we all share from our music.  Err..  you can tell I've been without my amp for long enough now   Sad

« Last Edit: 11/14/12 at 15:14:07 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #13 - 11/14/12 at 15:57:28

Yes, very impressive. It's too much for me though. I love the flexibility offered by my Torii Mk III, but don't need all the tube options and possible sound offered in the Mini-Torii. .  . . Just makes me queezy thinking of missing out on a possible fantastic sounding combo just because I hadn't exhausted all possibilities. And I'd rather relax and listen to the music than spend all that time trying out all possible tube combinations.

Hope you get your amp back up and running very soon!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 11/14/12 at 16:06:20

I absolutely agree.  But it does amaze me to consider all the possibilities involved, at least from a fine-tunning entertainment point of view.  Instead of wondering about some upgrades here or there, a couple pair of tubes once in a while may bring some pepper to the listening experience, at very little risk.

Thanks for the wishes, Lon.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print