12/20/14 at 00:26:20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
HR-1-Zen Omni's (Read 13721 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: HR-1-Zen Omni's
Reply #30 - 01/31/14 at 17:06:24

Stellablues, Depending on what you find, if you need to chill the bass and/or midbass due to close wall proximity, you may be able to adjust with speaker tuning...simple damping and/or strategically plugging the passive radiator vents.

The HR-1 is a great speaker.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #31 - 02/05/14 at 20:42:06

I ordered a Pair.

12, 14 or 16 weeks out...I understand.

Question for Lon & Will? Is their an external Resistor used as found on the ERRx? Or, is their an internal Resistor and/or minimal crossover used because of the blending of the different drivers on different axises.

I ordered my HR-1's in Maple!  -Stone = Happy.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #32 - 02/05/14 at 20:47:41

Awesome Stone!

I have my new pair in maple and they're LOVELY. My speaker sent back to Bob should be returnign to me soon. A bit of crud had gotten into (I think) the radial voice coil.

My two pair are different: the older pair has an external wire wound resistor, the new pair does not.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 02/05/14 at 21:34:17

Stone. I look forward to your new speakers! You are going to have quite a collection to compare!

I had mine built with the caps and resisters outside on the recessed binding post panel. If Bob is still offering this as an option, and you don't mind seeing the caps and resister, and if you want adjustability on the tweeter tone and balance, I would recommend it.

You obviously don't want to work too far out of the design in values, but there are a lot of "flavor" shifting possibilities with different caps, very low value bypasses, and resistors. I experimented a lot and kept up with Bob about what I was hearing. I don't know what he is putting in now, but my experiments changed the speaker for the better here, and Bob may have used some of this.

Mine sounded really good from the start, but I had to explore! I think I recall that hey shipped with Clarity Cap SA 3.3s and I believe a 3 ohm Wirewound resistor. I settled on 3.3 Mundorf Supreme caps with one Russian PIO .1 K40Y-9 bypassing altogether...from the hot speaker wire direct to the hot tweeter post. Also I have a .047 K40Y-9 wired parallel with the Mundorf 3.3....these come in after a Mundorf 2.7 resistor. All broken in, the sound is as clear in general as the original, but more smooth and refined by my ear, with less grain and more micro detail.

Be interesting to find out how Bob is wiring them these days. I bet they sound great.

« Last Edit: 02/05/14 at 21:37:45 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 02/05/14 at 21:59:52

Bob mentioned to me that he is using Mundorf, I didn't go any further in discussion with him but he said tha the major difference between my older pair and the new is the use of the capacitors that were a result of your explorations.

I still personally prefer the older pair, but the new pair still have far fewer hours on them, less than a thousand I think, than it would take for them to really be all they can be.

« Last Edit: 02/05/14 at 22:00:08 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #35 - 02/06/14 at 15:50:16

Thanks guys!

Sounds/looks like your awesome explorations Will...lead Bob/Zygi to implement the best Caps & Resistors on the inside cover of the Speaker binding posts....and leave it at that!

With your 2nd pair Lon having them (caps & resistors) internal/and chosen to be the best sounding of many combinations...I bet they burn in and sound as sweetly as your 1st pair. Is Bob doing a pretty quick turn-around for the one distorting Speaker? I bet the Maple is stunning too!

I am loving my ZMA. I now have 79.5 hours on it and counting. I went an Listened to all 49 minutes of the ZMA with the HR-1 Omni's from the the Zenfest Video. As best as can be discerned through my Beats Audio internal Speakers on my HP TouchSmart Desk Top....I like what I heard and seen. .......now the wait has begun.     -S

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 15:55:43 by stone_of_tone »  

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 02/06/14 at 15:53:35

Yes, he'll be shipping them back soon, probably in his hands less than a week. He got them Monday and has corrected the problem.

The two sound different which is not a bad thing. When fully burned in (personally I think we're talking about 2000 or more hours) I expect them to sound really good, and still different. Not that that is a bad thing.

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #37 - 02/06/14 at 16:00:37

True Lon, one caps/resistors version vs. the other. It will be interesting to hear which ones you prefer, say...come late fall this year....with many hours on them.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #38 - 02/06/14 at 16:17:24

Yes. Definitely a first world problem!

Interestingly enough so far I prefer the new HR-1s with the OLD Mk III and the old HR-1s with the NEW Mk III.

« Last Edit: 02/06/14 at 16:36:50 by Lon »  

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #39 - 02/06/14 at 17:07:15

Very interesting.

I plan on calling Bob, when I get the "Build" stage email (understandably-probably in late May).

I hear that....our first world problems.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 02/09/14 at 12:03:36

Well, my HR-1 speaker repair was a lot more extensive than initially thought, a driver needed to be replaced. Sigh. Now I'll need breakin in the second system for quite some time again. Should have it back tomorrow.

IP Logged
mark58
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 02/09/14 at 13:46:28

Now that Bob is done with your speaker, maybe he'll start building mine.  On the build list there is one pair of ERR's ordered in August then My HR-1s ordered in September.  So it shouldn't be long, unless Bob decides to torture me by building all 7 pairs of ERRs  ordered before starting My speakers. Mark.

« Last Edit: 02/09/14 at 16:25:00 by mark58 »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #42 - 02/09/14 at 13:50:47

Here's hoping he gets to yours soon Mark! You're going to be very happy when they arrive. . . and after.

IP Logged
stellablues
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 02/10/14 at 03:03:53

sorry if this has been mentioned previously. why the long wait on the speakers?

at 5k you would think they would like to get customers their order asap? if you make speakers then make speakers. if you don't then get stop offering a product...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #44 - 02/10/14 at 03:12:50

Well, the past year Bob had a heart attack and that set him back. He's catching up. As far as I know it's a two man father and son outfit, and care is taken to do them right, it's not a factory. I've always been satisfied with the product when received, view them worth the wait.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print