Send Topic Print
HR-1-Zen Omni's (Read 10617 times)
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

HR-1-Zen Omni's
11/03/12 at 21:21:23

I just noticed on the Decware home page that the HR-1's are now up for sale.
As I know that I absolutely HAVE to have a pair in Koa wood, it looks like it is going to be a real crappy Christmas for family and frends. Sorry everyone, I have to pay Donnie first.
I want the speakers to match the floors in our upstairs family room, so I can't cheap out at this point, I will man up and pay the extra.
The wood floors look like this,
No that isn't my floor, I don't own a camera or even a cell phone to take a photo of mine, but it sure looks a lot like my floor.
I'm betting that ZYGI can make 'em compliment each other.
I'm going into full austerity mode so that I can get these baby's ordered early next spring.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: HR-1-Zen Omni's
Reply #1 - 11/03/12 at 23:35:36

Hi: I would get a wood finish that has some contrast with your floor... It looks better to the eye...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 11/04/12 at 02:11:36

Mark,
The speakers will be down in my fortified bunker, not in the family room.
I just wanted Koa for continuity throughout the house.
The big problem is figuring out how to hide the true cost from my wife. She thinks that my current computer-DAC-Torii-MG944's setup cost around $800 total. I feel somewhat bad about not telling her the complete truth, but what she does't know won't kill me.
Does anyone else have to resort to "cooking the books" for their hobby?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 11/04/12 at 03:52:50

There should be a patron saint of audio guilt...

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #4 - 11/04/12 at 04:27:15

What we need is a tax deduction.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 11/04/12 at 13:04:25

I don't have to cook the books because I have a track record of buying and selling DECWARE gear - which usually holds it value very well. Unlike those Gucci purses priced at $349.00 to $449.00 that I saw at a table at Costco yesterday . . .

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #6 - 11/04/12 at 14:29:17

I don't like bringing up the purse cost factor up in conversations with my wife. It got real ugly when I pointed out that a Walmart sack would serve the same function as the Coach bag she was carrying. Bad move on my part.
I guess that I could sell my MG's to help with the funding of the HR-1's, but in the back of my mind I'm toying around with the thought of giving them away at the next 'fest come October. Just a idea.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 11/04/12 at 15:36:53

The counter to the purse argument is hard to defend from the purse owner's viewpoint. . . wouldn't a receive and speakers from Target serve the same purpose as the Decware ones?

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 11/04/12 at 16:00:47

Lon:

The answer to your question is "no." The Target receiver and speakers will "wallpaper" the music and the DECWARE gear will involve you in the music.

This is much like why somebody would reject a ten buck quartz computer watch and embrace a timepiece with a fine case and Swiss-made mechanical movement; even thought the latter would technically keep more perfect time. You are buying the Swiss made mechanical timepiece to represent your relationship with time; not necessarily as the most accurate time keeper.

The purse argument is easily won on an economic analysis. used DECWARE gear keeps 60-90% of its original value; used, the purse is worth bupkus.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 11/04/12 at 16:21:50

You know different women than I do. I don't quite agree with the success of your defense; they'll offer the same sort of argument on the purses.

What has worked for me is I let my gal have what she wants. My lover girl wants Brahmin purses of Italian leather, and I have to confess they're as functionally beautiful as a Decware product is. Sure a ten dollar bag will hold the same things, but they don't look this way, feel this way, or make HER feel she looks like a million bucks and has a piece of art on her arm. She has five. . . and I know there will be more. In turn, she lets me have my audio art. We both enjoy what we have, together and separately.

Donnie, I hope you have a pair, AND keep the MGs as a back up, or for use elsewhere in your domain.

« Last Edit: 11/04/12 at 17:31:32 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 11/04/12 at 16:30:58

I guess a worse case would be if your wife found out what you really payed for your audio gear AND that you gave the MGs away for nothing...

I would hope that there's nothing heavy in that purse... (m.)

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #11 - 11/04/12 at 17:01:45

"Oh Happy Day!"  ;D
At long last these fine speakers are officially "outed" by the Zen Master himself! This is a wonderfully welcomed update. This speaker is the only type of its kind. It is singular in its combination of cabinet shape/design omni directional driver and forward firing mid woofer/tweeter combination. No one but the designer himself has more experience with than me, and I say that with all humility and selfless approbation to Bob and Steve both. Listening to this speaker over a long time period has without a doubt been the most enduring and pleasant audio experience I have ever had in 40 years of listening. IMHO nothing is the end all/be all in high fidelity (read my MG944 review) but these diminutive obelisks do things so wonderfully across the spectrum that render music that "sings" to me every time I turn them on. In a word they make everything "better". They show every nuance that is in the recording yet have an uncanny ability to make average electronics sound so much better. When you put high end amps and sources on these it gets so stupidly good I shake my head and wonder how. The bass authority is astounding. They image and soundstage ANYWHERE! In a treated listening room there apparently just is no speaker in the room. At just under a yard tall and a one square foot footprint the WAF factor is off the chart. In wood or paint stunningly beautiful. The price point is multiples below what these compete with in sound quality. Thanks again Bob and Steve. My best and heartfelt hope is for these to fly off the craftsman's table by the dozens!

« Last Edit: 11/04/12 at 17:35:33 by Chris K »  

Hi-Fi Gear: More than I need! Not as much as I want!
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 11/04/12 at 17:09:37

Have to agree. I'm listening to my pair now, and just love them. I love my ERRs as well, I think my ideal speaker would be another fusion of the two, but in this case I have two fantastic pairs of speakers that blow me away.

The bass from the HR-1s is stunning.I think this is the speaker that could put Bob's artistry on the map in the high end world if they could only find it. Here's to a big success!

« Last Edit: 11/04/12 at 17:10:06 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #13 - 11/04/12 at 17:55:32

The HR-1's became a must own to me within moments after hearing them. They just sounded "right" to me. Kind of like my MG's, but with something more.
In listening to them back to back with the Zen Open Baffles really pointed out what I liked about them. The ZOB's are what I originally thought I would want for my next speakers. But the HR-1's just were so warm and inviting to me. The sparkle of the treble is what really sold me.
I'm a sucker for high range openess, that and women who like expensive purses.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 11/04/12 at 18:48:38

:)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print