Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tube-Rolling Leverage (Read 1560 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Tube-Rolling Leverage
Reply #15 - 11/02/12 at 01:26:10

Quote:
I just know that in the end, there would be a family of different but great sounding combinations, along with smaller groups of super achievers and loosers.  I can't wait!  

I can't wait to hear about your fun!

I think you could have sets that will be mediocre or even bad to you, but once you recognize the more obvious values of the tubes you have, you can intuitively mix and match to bring out the best of the group by balancing characters, and then fine-tune it to pull the bigtime beauty!

I think it is all individual...but what I am pointing to is the fun of organic exploration and the possibility of having ever evolving really good tube sets that play it all well. I can also imagine having one or more distinct sets, but this would not be my style. I doubt I have ever arrived at exactly the same set in there as I have had before, but I always have a totally amazing and exciting sound that plays well with all I listen to. This is what I meant by endless variations....not of distinct tube sets, but of an ever evolving and changing single set.

I personally can't imagine changing sets for specific recording qualities or music types....I like to play the field of my music without restriction and at will. But this is me...distinct sets could be a totally valid approach.

It will be really cool figuring out what makes you happy!

Have fun!

Will

« Last Edit: 11/02/12 at 01:29:20 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Tube-Rolling Leverage
Reply #16 - 11/02/12 at 01:59:56

I understand, Will.  Its quite clear.  Let's see how it works for me.  I know I'm very excited about this little project, as it promises bringing potentially many surprises and adventures to an already amazing sounding rig (and I don't even have to solder anything!   Smiley )

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print