Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/02/14 at 01:07:24

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion (Read 14337 times)
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Re: Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion
Reply #75 - 10/13/13 at 17:23:33

Lon,  Thanks for the info/support on the Isocups, in regards to my ZP3. You've done a lot of experimentation with Herbies' products.  I've got extra gemstone balls, I'll order a set of four Isocups  for the ZP3 today.  

Yeah, I kept my Mapleshade brass footers to use as top weights also.  Some of them are also used as a "bookends" for my shelved LPs.  The rubber/cork Mapleshade isolation "footer's" are the ones I threw out.

LR,  I suggested a set of four Herbie's Tenderfeet because of their lower cost, but I agree with Lon about the Isocups being the way to go for Decware amps.

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #76 - 10/13/13 at 17:33:33

I'm reading up on the tube dampers right now. 6moons liked the early ones - and I have a guitar amps I've been wanting decent tube dampers for. So I might ask for some for my birthday next month (or maybe just dip into my Mystery amp fund and get *one* for my 6N1P on my Zen amp).

I don't want to blow too much money while saving up for the Mystery amp, but I wouldn't mind tweaking a little while I wait.   Cry

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #77 - 11/07/13 at 22:39:24

So, a small update...I did pick up tube dampers, the same ones Steve H recommended to another Zen amp owner in his forums - RX for input, and the expensive Halo on the power tubes. I left off the rectifier as I'm really not sure how much improvement that would make...and honestly, my old rectifier socket is rather loose and wobbly - I think I'd better upgrade the socket itself before I put a halo on the tube.

Lastly, last night I was doing some after midnight listening to a classical CD I picked up at Goodwill - I forgot what it was, but the CD literally had a warning about blowing speakers with the dynamics involved in the recording...yeah, that's what made me buy it! So I do what Steve H recommended and put my hand on the Oppo BDP-105, and honestly I was expecting a slight hum like vibration or something...but what I wasn't expecting was a WOBBLE. It felt like a car tire that was out of balance - wump, whump, wump, whump as the disc was spinning! CRAP!

It's no wonder FLAC files sound better than the CDs I ripped them from with all that disc wobble causing jitter!! Looks like I have more stuff to address!   Grin

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #78 - 03/14/14 at 19:31:48

Been tweeking the system a little as I'm now running KT-66 in the Mk III and it's a new ballgame in some ways.

It always continues to amaze me how much moving the Iso-Cups around beneath the Torii can siubtly influence the sound of the Torii!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #79 - 03/14/14 at 20:14:20

I've been running five IsoCups under my Torii III/IV conversion (VCapped with two Jupiters), and also have found that shifting them around, makes a noticeable difference.

It's sometimes hard to believe, but my wife and daughter hear these changes  also.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #80 - 03/14/14 at 20:34:54

Thanks for reporting that Mike, nice to have yet another confirmation of what we hear.

Five? Interesting.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #81 - 03/15/14 at 02:06:16

Lon,

Thinking about how much the Torii weighs, I placed one IsoCup in each corner, and the fifth is centered between the back two. This was last year.

Actually, the fifth one is placed a couple inches towards the front.  I figured with all the weight the four transformers "impose", on the rear of the chassis, it might be helpful.   And it was!

I don't remember the exact difference it made, but I felt it made it worthwhile investing in the fifth IsoCup.

What I may try sometime, is placing a sixth IsoCup towards the front.  
Instead of considering them as four different "feet", using 5 or 6 may be more of a "platform" concept.

Extra stability up here in earthquake country. Usually get a few tremors every year or two.

And if it works, who cares what it's called...

Mike  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #82 - 03/15/14 at 02:16:41

That's cool, I never thought about that and should give it a try one of these days.

This sort of thing can be fun!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #83 - 03/27/14 at 18:34:56

Lon, I went ahead and tried using a sixth Isocup (with High end base and gemstone ball) underneath my Torii Mark III/IV conversion.

Using The Tony Bennett Bill Evans album (promo LP, original pressing, VG+++) as my listening material, I slid the sixth Isocup underneath the front center area of the Torii, during the middle of a song, and promptly sat back down.

I immediately noticed the soundstage was deeper.   And this was not a tiny difference. Not a big difference, but not a tiny one, either.

Definitely worthwhile, I'm leaving that additional Isocup where I placed it.

Let me know if you decide to experiment with using a 5th, 6th Isocup.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #84 - 03/27/14 at 18:57:49

Mike, fascinating. Thanks for letting me know. I'll try it out, wanted to order some more gemstones before they are all gone anyway.

« Last Edit: 03/27/14 at 19:09:52 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #85 - 03/29/14 at 20:03:23

I'm so glad you mentioned using these fifth and sixth Iso-Cups Mike. I got in two Iso-Cups (the black ones, I find these don't need the high-end base as the earlier ones do) and more Deep Moss Quartz gemstones.

Definitely, more than subtly, changed the soundstage. Quite enjoyably so. Oh my.

I also exchanged the four gemstones under my Power Plant Premier from Mexican Jasper to Deep Moss Quartz. All my other components were on Deep Moss Quartz except Power Plant Premier previously, I had Mexican Jasper under that.

I wasn't expecting much of a change but I got one. A bit less tall soundstage and a bit less open midrange and a darker tonality. I both like it and not like it so much right now. We'll see how it settles in.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #86 - 04/03/14 at 13:10:00

Well I decided to order four more Iso-Cup bases and Deep Moss Quartz gemstones and added these to the underside of the PWT and PWD Mark II. A subtle difference added to/in comparison to that of placing the extra two beneath the Torii Mk III and the PPP, but a further benefit. What seems to happen (to me) is that the sound becomes a bit less forward (which is a good thing for me) and the tonal balance a bit mellower (ditto). Quite happy with these results!

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 04/03/14 at 15:33:40

Lon,  I'm glad you're having such positive results.

I'm going to try another one or two under my ZP3, and am considering switching the four Herbie's Tall Tenderfeet under my Running Springs Audio Haley, to six Isocups.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #88 - 04/03/14 at 16:00:49

Well, at least it's fun to play around with them!

Wish I could eliminate the Tenderfeet from under my ZP3 and CSP2+s but I can only do that if I don't use the AC-12 power cords with them, but experimentation tells me that the AC-12 brings more benefit than the Iso-Cups into the equation.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print