Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/23/14 at 21:59:16

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion (Read 11106 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion
Reply #60 - 11/14/12 at 21:26:07

Marky, I'm glad you took a chance on the Dots and that they were a positive change. As you say, these are the entry level pieces and it bodes well for the future.

The last few days I've been playing around with the location of Iso-Cups under my amp, my Perfectwave Transport and my Perfectwave DAC II. These Iso-Cups are great, and moving them about is like tube-rolling, it's that much of a change in the focus and presentation. Always surprises me.

My ZP3 is arriving Friday and I have Halos for the tubes and will use the Tenderfeet under the unit that I am using with the PS Audio phono preamp. Looking forward to hearing the results. (I'll start off without using any of these and introduce them.)

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #61 - 12/07/12 at 13:42:08

The most amazing interaction between an isolation device and a component in my experience has been between Iso-Cups and the Torii Mk III. As will and OC have also noted, moving those under the Torii can cause a different presentation. My current favorite locations are the two front underneath the rectifier tube (5U4G in my case) and the rear just in front of the original rear feets' locations. Very ambient and enveloping sound, recaptures a bit more of what I had with the ERR as compared to the HR-1 Omnis now in the system. A mellow top end and a vivid midrange. Where I have a "needle drop" and the same LP this is an interesting comparison, quite similar in all important ways.

Locations of Iso-Cups are very interactive under other components, but most revelatory in my system under the Torii Mk III.

« Last Edit: 12/07/12 at 13:43:25 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/07/12 at 15:13:06

Lon,
I've got them in the exact same places under my Torii and it really does enhance the sound,  without them the Torii is sitting on a well developed and very beautiful core audio amp stand.  It may be overkill to most but sitting the Torii on the isocups and the stand takes my music to a higher level. I took them out for a few days to see if I could recognize the difference.  WHen I put them back I knew immediately that they will stay.  Do you use any under the CSp2?  I am contemplating trying them.
You were also right about the breaking in period of the CSP2...it's just starting to flourish after 3-4 weeks.
JD

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #63 - 12/07/12 at 15:46:52

Hey JD, that's so cool that we both discovered that sweet spot! Smiley I think the Iso-Cups are amazing under the Torii, and yes on stands or racks helps as well. I'm always fascinated by isolation and coupling and audio.

No, at present I can't use Iso-Cups under the CSP2+ because of logistics. Where I have the preamp if I use the Iso-Cups and the PS Audio Perfectwave AC-12 power cord that I love on this preamp it won't stay in place due to the weight and the backwards pull of the cord. I have it (and the ZP3) now on Tenderfeet, which is an improvement over the stock footers. But soon I'll have another set of the Ingress Audio Engineering "Rollerblocks" and I'm going to try those under the CSP2+ -- my experience with these under my HR-1s is very favorable.

« Last Edit: 12/07/12 at 16:19:52 by Lon »  

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 03/25/13 at 23:02:01

Hi Lon, I'm curious, have you tried using the Iso-cups under your ZP3?

Steve at Herbie's, says you're not supposed to use them on components under 20 pounds in weight, still...I'm wondering.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #65 - 03/25/13 at 23:10:50

Hey Mike, yes I've tried them. They work well actually. A bit better than what I do use (Tall Tenderfeet). BUT . . .  I use the PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cord on these "half chassis" components and the weight of the cord prevents the ZP3 from seating on the Iso-Cups and staying put. Using a lesser cord yields less great sound than using this cord and using the Tenderfeet. So that's what I'm using. The Tenderfeet really get you  almost all the way there soincally, especially as I have these on my two CSP2+ as well, and all three preamps are sitting on the Skylan amp stands made for Decware, which are doing a good job of helping with vibration control as well.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #66 - 03/26/13 at 00:21:34

Hi Lon,  Yes I'm using the Tall Tenderfeet on my ZP3, also.  My Torri III and both modded tuners, use the Iso cups with high end base and gemstone balls.  I really like these Iso-cups, and may spring for a set of four when the $ free up some more.

I have three Supersonic Stabilizers on top of mine, which adds another 1 1/4 pounds or so, so that may help out on the  total weight of the ZP3.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #67 - 03/26/13 at 04:29:38

I have one stabilizer on mine, each of my components has one.

I think unless you have a thick and heavy power cord there's no issue with the Iso-Cups. Mine are just too thick and heavy, and with the IEC outlet on the top, and the cords arcing down to the PPP below, the unit just won't be stable on Iso-Cups.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #68 - 09/21/13 at 21:28:22

Up for some fresh air.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #69 - 09/21/13 at 22:09:34

Any new comments on Herbie's products?  I'm still in love with the half dozen products of his, that I use.

Other than the price, I especially like his titanium tube dampers on rectifiers and input tubes.  I'm not so enamoured of them on power tubes, it seems very easy to over dampen my two systems.

I've got everything dampened on my ZP3, just the inputs and 5U4G's on the Torii III (in the process of being converted to a IV, right now).

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #70 - 10/13/13 at 12:14:00

Any of you fellow Iso-Cup users try the "gemstones" series?

These are excellent way to fine tune the system, akin to the effect of a whole set of tubes rolled. I've found that for digital especially in my system that the "Deep Moss Quartz" are a great fit, adding a sense of body and depth that are akin to the addition of the CSP2+ to the Torii, though on a smaller scale. Slows things down just an enrichening tad.

Since I've moved to all VooDoo Cable interconnects (and especially with the Ultralinear feeding my first CSP2+ into the Torii) I found from experimentation that "Mexican Agate" balls under the Power Plant Premier adds a perfect "opening up" and dynamic to the sound. The VooDoo cables have brought a bit more dynamics and the "Mexican Agate" seems to catalyze that very well.

Have to say that before my Decware amps showed me what was possible in audio playback and I experienced all that power treatment, cabling and tube-rolling could do I would have scoffed at these gemstone balls as the most reptilian of oil, but . . . I really like what they do.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #71 - 10/13/13 at 16:25:25

I've been using Picasso Jasper balls for over one year now, in both systems, with great results. Previously was using Mapleshade footers. Huge upgrade using Herbie's gemstone balls with Isocups!

After trying those, I threw out all my Mapleshade footers.  I have a local friend who use "imitation" Mapleshade footers underneath $25,000 worth of Ayre equipment.  I internally shake my head evertime I see those footers. I've tried to convince him to just try out Isocups or Tenderfeet,  but he's still "unsure".  Herbie's does have a money back warranty, and from what Steve at Herbie's told me this year, people RARELY return anything.

Presently I'm using the Picasso/Isocup combination underneath my Torii III (It''ll be back from Decware this  Thursday in it's new MK IV reincarnation), and both of my heavily  modded FM tuners (FM is very alive and well in the Pacific Northwest).

I'm glad you brought up the subject of the gemstone balls, Lon.  Think I may try switching from the Tenderfeet underneath my ZP3, to Isocups/gemstone balls.

Mike

IP Logged
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Reply #72 - 10/13/13 at 16:26:45

I'm still skeptical, but I might give some items a try.

For a long time, I had my zen amp sitting on a giant block of marble probably 40#), with carbon rods as isolation feet. I honestly can't say I heard any difference with or without. Currently I have my Zen amp "floating" on some nice soft silicon rings - I'm going to have to try a blind test to see if I hear any difference.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #73 - 10/13/13 at 16:36:26

Lonely Raven,  You may want to try a set of four Tenderfeet underneath your amp.  If you don't like them, Herbie's will take them back and give you a full refund.

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #74 - 10/13/13 at 16:44:59

Mike, I bet the Iso-Cups and gemstones under the ZP3 would be great. As I'm sure I mentioned above at least once, I still have (Tall) Tenderfeet under my ZP3 and the two CSP2+ in the main system (and they each sit on a Decware/Skylan Zen amp stand, looks so cool all three of those lined up in the shelf of the Samson Ver.3). I think Iso-Cups give a bit better sound than the Tenderfeet on these components, but the power cords I use just don't allow me to use Iso-Cups--because the IEC inlets are on top of the chassis the angle that causes provided by the weight of the cords makes the setup too unstable. The sonic benefit of the cords far outweigh the difference between the two footers, so the Tenderfeet remain, and they really anchor the components in a great way.

My Dad's system now has Iso-Cups (the original style) under all components, with sets of Lampblack, Ebony, Mexican Jaspar and Picasso Jaspar balls. Made a difference from Tenderfeet, especially under the C amp and ZStage.

Regarding the Mapleshade footers, I actually use my old sets as chassis weights on some components, and I confess that when coupled to the 4" maple platforms Mapleshade sells they really do produce an interesting sound. For some components/systems they can be the cat's meow. I like Iso-Cups and Tenderfeet better for mine, but in conjunction with some components it's a closer call than I might like to think whenever I a/b them (I do that sometimes).

LR, take the plunge into some Herbie's products. I did a lot of do it yourself things in my early Decware years. . . Yeah, I saved a few bucks, but never got the results that Herbie's products bring. Marble in big form never quite did much for me, but these gemstone balls are another matter. If nothing else, try a set of Iso-Cups (I think four work better than three) under a Decware amp, and move them around. I've never heard anything better under a Decware amp.

« Last Edit: 10/13/13 at 16:59:38 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print