Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/02/14 at 06:18:12

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion (Read 14350 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Herbie's Audio Lab products discussion
Reply #45 - 11/05/12 at 23:28:13

I know the feeling, Lon... My CD player is in QC...   Smiley  Now, what next to save up for?... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #46 - 11/06/12 at 00:39:06

Cool! Getting closer...

Mike

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 11/06/12 at 10:12:01

Lol, I`m on the pre list.
A pair of `Rachaels` to bridge..but still
deciding what config...and trying to
convince myself I dont need the CSP2+
as well... I could be fighting a loser.
mmmm...that`ll be 3 power chords...
no tubes, cos I cant resist swopping
them...
choices, choices, choices.  :)

« Last Edit: 11/06/12 at 10:13:34 by marky »  

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.BenzLP , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 11/06/12 at 22:11:47

I was looking at the isoblocks on the mapleshades site.
Could be what I need under my rack if all the components
and shelves are stuck down with sorbathane. They are a
gimme price. Might do for my speakers as well. Sittting on
spikes which go into the old wood flooring I cant help
thinking there might be a sounding board effect which could
be cleaned up. ..Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.BenzLP , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #49 - 11/06/12 at 22:25:04

Well, they're worth a shot. I used to use them under the maple platforms that sit on my rack. Steve Herbelin mentioned that others are suing Grungebuster dots under the platforms in place of the IsoBlocks and I tried that and. . .well I'm not sure it was a big difference, but I left the dots under the platforms.

May be a good thing under the speakers. In my case I think they would raise the speakers too high, effecting the ear/tweeter height ratio, which makes a difference to me that I don't want to hear.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 11/06/12 at 23:22:21

This has probably been mentioned here, but bear with me, please:  Don't you want to dissipate vibration(s) from components and speakers?... That is, conduct them in a controlled way into some other medium?... I know that is what sorbothane does... Turns vibration into heat, right?...   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #51 - 11/06/12 at 23:31:51

I find that Sorbothane dulls and muddies the sound. That's my experience, and why I started with Mpaleshade footetrs and then Herbie's Audio Lab products.

Yes, you're right, isolation products are of various types for various functions, from isolating from vibrations to coupling to transfer vibrations.

This from Herbie's Audio Lab may be helpful:

http://herbiesaudiolab.net/sqfaq.htm

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #52 - 11/06/12 at 23:35:03

That's what I thought initially too.  Apparently, the isolation is against incoming vibration generated by the actual sound waves generated by the speakers as these reflect from the surrounding structures, especially the floor, and not those inherently created inside the components.

So, the isolation is usually aimed at creating a vibration barrier, not a vibration drainage, with the exception, I think, of microphonic vibration generated by the tubes, which are mitigated by those rings at the upper mica edge.

I'm just learning here, don't take my word for it ... I think Lon's link (we crossed messages, sorry), may explain it much better.

« Last Edit: 11/06/12 at 23:38:08 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 11/06/12 at 23:39:34

Well I`ve just ordered 30 grungebuster dots.
I thought job done with the sorbathane, but
you know, for $27 it`s worth an experiment.
Still not my final solution but that will be when
my system is complete and I start fine tuning.

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 11/06/12 at 23:52:25

I'm going to chime in here again:  When I tried tube dampers, I perceived a certain deadening of the sound, and removed them... I can only surmise that some of the errant energy reaching the amp and tubes was actually adding something that was aesthetically pleasing to the sound... Just like second order harmonics generated by single ended circuit topology enhance the sound somehow...

We all know that certain woods like those in a violin are critical to the overall sound presentation... So why not the woods chosen for your audio equipment to sit on?... Also, can the wood itself be responsible for producing its own sound when excited by acoustical energy?...

We don't seem to want a speaker cabinet adding artifacts to the room, but what if they were pleasing artifacts?... Like a good violin?... (m.)

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 11/06/12 at 23:54:41

Thats what I thought FB. The idea was to damp external
vibrations and not electrical microvibrations. You might be
able to damp the chassis but the microvibrations are still
occuring and exiting the phonos. When units go on QC
these vibrations must be small enough to discount. Still,
fine tuning must have real results.....

« Last Edit: 11/07/12 at 00:01:21 by marky »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #56 - 11/07/12 at 00:19:20

I agree that wood can be euphonic, I use maple platforms, and one myrtlewood one. Each system is different, there's a balance that can be obtained different ways, and we all have different tastes.

I used to be more "scientific" in my youth but now I guess I care less about how or why things work than I do the results of their action. I find playing about with isolation/coupling to be as much fun, maybe more so than tube rolling. I like the tube dampers, in my system I don't hear deadening so much as . . .focusing? A clarity, less fuzziness. But that's in MY system, all I can really talk about with any credulity or sincerity.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #57 - 11/07/12 at 00:35:50

marky wrote on 11/06/12 at 23:39:34:
Well I`ve just ordered 30 grungebuster dots.
I thought job done with the sorbathane, but
you know, for $27 it`s worth an experiment.
Still not my final solution but that will be when
my system is complete and I start fine tuning.

Marky, will be interesting to hear your impressions of the Grungebuster dots.

I still have Sorbothane in two places in my system: I have two "Zen Stands" and These have a layer of Sorbothane under the top piece of wood. These stands are nice, really well sized for Decware components, and sound pretty "quick" so in this instance I haven't been bothered by muddiness as I was when using Sorbothane feet in the past.

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #58 - 11/14/12 at 20:20:00

Okay...Mr Herbies grungebuster dots
With sobathane ;
Track1 side 1 G.Deads `Terrapin Station`-
As I`d popped in the RCA 5R4GY into the ZP3 I was wallowing
in the room filling sound. Bass was radiating into centre stage,
guitars chopping rythms both sides of stage with nice presence
This was the main focus of my attention. What was that playing
the solo break ? Electric moogy synth ? It was floating right to
front centre. The engineer had done a great job.

With Grungebuster dots.
I removed all the sorbathane from tt su ph p/p and 2 platforms,
top platform spiked. Replaced all with G/dots, and doubled up
on the tt with the 3 pieces left over. Replayed track.
The radiating bass was now more focused to where the player
stood and not spilling into the middle ( bloated?) There was also
more power shifts to be felt (moving air) More natural. Guitars
now had the ability to extend more back to front so that some
notes were heard a la head phones. More focused. That solo
instrument was now definately an alto sax ( I hope )  :)

Considering these are Herbies entry level product I was pleased.
Getting rid of the sorbathane and replacing it with G/dots was a
+ve. I could have been stuck with that c*** for some time without
this thread. Bodes well for Herbies in Spring after my new D/Ware
gear is firmly seated and I stop buying tubes.  8-)

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #59 - 11/14/12 at 21:23:18

Interesting results, marky.  I wonder what types did you get (sheets, dots, thick or thin dots, square or round dots, an assortment)?  Looks like a good starting point if these are significantly more affordable than the more complete solutions (i.e., ISO Cups, Fat Dots, Tender Feet, etc.).

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print