Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 14:57:43

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's (Read 4527 times)
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Re: Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's
Reply #15 - 04/02/13 at 20:50:14

I asked Sarah to give me a heads up when it boxed up and was able to take the right day off.  UPS shipping tracking was accurate as well.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 04/02/13 at 21:25:54

Good enough.  Thanks guys.

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 04/09/13 at 20:19:10

It's not often I get a bill for $3000 and it put's a smile on my face.  But it just did.  Won't be long now.   Smiley

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 04/13/13 at 16:50:38

So, this week I got my tracking # which showed the delivery date was yesterday.  So I took the day off work. Went to my local P.O. as 8:30 because I didn't want to sit around all day waiting for delivery.  Since I got there before the trucks rolled they pulled it off and I was able to sign and go. Before I even left, I had my first impression of ordering thru Decware.  They shipped the amp in a Pelican case,free of charge.  What Class.

So I put it my car and am driving home, almost get to test the Pelican as, of all things, a tow truck runs a stop sign, as we have been getting icy rain/snow, i hit the breaks but kept sliding. So in my best Steve Mcqueen move, I cut hard left, slid sideways thru the intersection, just missed the truck, as he gunned it, must have realized his error.  I mean I missed him by inches.  I digress.

So I get home, plug in the the tubes, hook it all up per the manual.  Decided on my first song.  Beatles Abbey Road  Black Triangle  Here Comes the Sun.    Not good.  Chaotic mess.  Long story short tho,  after 3hrs warm up, and deciphering all the knobs and switches, dialing in the various gain, volume options btwn the amp and csp2, it was  all goody goodness. Smiley

Wow.   Tongue

After 5hrs,  I had pretty much played thru all the music I had been waiting 2months to hear thru this amp.  Now I know I've got a long break in period ahead, but damn, this is definately gonna be a great amp.  My wife loves listening to tunes as much as I do. She was smiling, song after song.  Whew.  After dropping 3 bills, I was just a tad nervous about her reaction.  Not any more.  I put in Willie Nelson - Stardust sacd.  After listening to it I asked her to compare it thru the new amp vs old SS amp.  She paused,  then said, "I can hear each individual brush on the drummers brush strokes.  yeahhh.   Cool

All up and down the frequency spectrum, this amp really delivers the goods.  Bass is  solid, mids are a dream,  highs, which the treble control, all easily dealt with on brighter recordings.  I love it.

So far, to answer my own question which opened this thread, "Will the model TORII MK3 amp drive my Paradigm's"  the answer is    Ohhh Hell yes!   No worries in the 92db, 8 ohm department.  None at all.  It grabs the speakers by the cajones, gives a slight squeeze, then calmly asks,  "who's your daddy".  I now have to decide what to do w/ my subwoofer, certainly don't need it now.

Anyways,  that was my first day w/ the amp.  Now, I gotta drink more coffee and take shower.  I was up way too late, drank way too many Summit Saga's last night.   Perhaps you may have noticed. Wink

« Last Edit: 04/13/13 at 17:17:34 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 04/13/13 at 19:37:54

Glad to hear/read the grins. But I wouldn't toss those subs just yet. There are not many speakers that don't need a properly matched pair of subs for true bass. And even the ones that might not "need" them can benefit from them. Of course, it depends on one's musical tastes, as well. Just my two cents.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 04/15/13 at 13:03:38

True,  but I have to tell you I really haven't felt the need to hook the sub back up and that's never been the case before.  Tho I'll eventually hook it up for movies if nothing else.

As the amp continues to break in it really is something else.  No brightness at all,, finally,  yet no loss of detail what so ever.  Probably the opposite.  More musical etc.  Probably nothing new to add here that others haven't already posted on.  I just feel totally justified in the expense which was a lot for me, tho the cost was mostly offset by selling off a lot of sacd's and collectible cd's that I hadn't really listened to much lately.

Eventually a better disc player and maybe some Err's and I'll be set.  but no hurry.  This current upgrade will tide me over for some time to be sure.

By the way, as an fyi,  the Torii came with 6922's which was a surprise.  I had thought it would come w/ 6n1p's.  And I am using the Philips rectifiers I had ordered from upscaleaudio.com, 2 in the torii and 1 in the csp2.

« Last Edit: 04/15/13 at 13:04:34 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 04/15/13 at 14:21:43

Interestingly, when my Torii returned from the shop, the words "6922 only" were written in the tube socket in blue sharpie.

As for the sub, well, I spent almost two years being in love with my ERRs without subs, and were it not for my goal of a combo HT/audio system, might never have pursued them. But once I had subs fast enough for the ERRs, there was no going back. I think the designers and reviewers who note that all but the biggest full-sized speakers need a sub, are likely right.

In retrospect, I really miss the Fried transmission lines of my youth.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print