Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/01/14 at 07:19:21

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
DACs for Around $1000 (Read 10992 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Re: DACs for Around $1000
Reply #30 - 03/26/13 at 22:01:04

Thanks Lon, it seems the PS Audio knows their DACs - that's for sure - as I don't think I've ever heard anything but praise in when it come to the sound (the most important part).

While, we're at it I would like to add 2 others.

PaleRider pointed out the TEAC UD-501 is not only priced agressively at around $849, but it also plays DSD natively (which sets a new price point for this format) AND people are saying that the sound quality is on par with  DACs costing substantially more.  This has got to be one of the best bang for the buck DSD DACs out there right now and I'm suspecting more to follow pretty soon.

When I think of TEAC, for some reason I think of budget electronics, but I think this will be a really popular item for them and perhaps it will trickle up to their more hi-end brand Esoteric.

Another DAC worth mentioning is the AudioQuest Dragonfly.  This thing has been getting really high praise and I think it has walked away with a product of the year award or so.  Top it off that it is only $249 bucks and we have a real contender here for entry level DACs.  In fact in the comment section of the PS Audio NuWave DAC Review you posted in the link above, a guy mentions that he had a hard time differentiating the sound of the Dragonfly compared to the NuWave DAC ... that is until he put a higher priced PS Audio power cable into the mix and the NuWave DAC pulled ahead substantially.

« Last Edit: 03/26/13 at 22:03:30 by beowulf »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 03/29/13 at 08:41:05

New firmware release for Oppo BDP-103 and 105:

March 27, 2013

Added support for Direct Stream Digital (DSD) file playback from local storage. The DSD files can be either stereo or multi-channel. Both the DFF and the DSF formats are supported.

Added support for the AIFF audio format.

I think a picture of these guys are in the dictionary under the definition of "over-achievers". Cool

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 03/29/13 at 14:35:07

beowulf,

Thanks for posting that info on Oppo. Looks like Oppo may do to Blue-Ray players what Apple did to the Cell Phone ?? Morph it into a new and unique product category.

I've not had much interest in digital music up to this point. I may reconsider since Oppo seems to be pulling all the pieces together into one fine package.

My Oppo BDP-83SE is four years old now. It's amazing the advancements Oppo has made in such a short time. I look forward to upgrading to the BDP-105 this Fall.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #33 - 03/29/13 at 23:39:23

Yes, I really dig this company and they are a lot like Decware when it comes to giving you a lot for your money.  They have very few (if any) companies to compete with their products in their respective price class that's for sure.

I'm just so curious what the Modwright mods would do to it in terms of the already great performanace it has.  

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 03/30/13 at 14:15:11

6Moons: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright11/1.html

Dan Wright of Modwright talks about the New Oppo:

Quote:
On stock 103 vs 105 sound. "To me the stock 105 is superior to the stock 103 which is good but sounds like a typical SMPS-powered unit with cap-coupled outputs. The 105 stock just on CD is really good. I am honestly surprised by how good. Oppo really stepped up their game by improving the power supply and the bigger more rigid and non-resonant fan-less enclosure for fully passive cooling. They've also added S/PDIF and USB inputs."

« Last Edit: 03/30/13 at 14:16:24 by DBC »  

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print