Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/01/14 at 14:57:28

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
DACs for Around $1000 (Read 10135 times)
beowulf
Seasoned Member

DACs for Around $1000
10/06/12 at 08:21:45

Hey guys, since Decware discontinued the ZDAC1, what other DAC's look promising to you around $1000 or under?

There are a lot on the market, but I like to keep my dollars in the USA whenever possible (but not a deal breaker).  I would like 24 bit/192k, asynchronous USB 2.0 and SPDIF.

So far I have been looking at these:

1. Schiit (gotta love that name) Gungnir:
http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=...

2. CIAudio Transient MKII Asynchronous USB Converter:
http://www.ciaudio.com/products/TransientMKII

3. Wadia 121 Decoding Computer:
http://www.wadia.com/products/decoding/121/

Does anybody have any input on these or additional recommendations?

Thanks!  :)

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Re: DACs for Around $1000
Reply #1 - 10/06/12 at 11:33:06

Ok Beowulf . I have the zcd 200i, I also have the Rega Dac , I can go back and forth using the tascam side of the cd player with the coax ouput, and AB it on the fly with the inputs of the white se84c+. There something about that rega dac thats more real sounding  when you listen to instruments , but thats where it ends . the zcd is a wider and deeper soundstage and maybe slightly more detailed, these are both around a 1000.00 dollars , the zcd being slightly more as to your options , I just got the regulator and one volume control. I'll tell you the 5 volt ouput really keeps me from wanting anymore power than the zen amps provide...........

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #2 - 10/06/12 at 11:53:08

Wyred 4 Sound DAC1

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 10/06/12 at 16:48:37

PS Audio just released a new DAC (NuWave $999) to replace the DLIII. It is built in the US. I think it has  24 bit/192k, asynchronous USB 2.0 and SPDIF. I have not heard it. Thanks

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 10/07/12 at 14:34:47

Both are NonOverSampling DACs ~ Havana has tube buffered output ~ Octave doesn't have USB input (good converter wil put it over $1k budget).

Mhdt Havana
http://dhost.info/mhdtlab/havana.htm

Metrum Octave
http://www.nosminidac.nl/Octave_English.html

IP Logged
JazztoGo
Verified Member

Reply #5 - 10/07/12 at 16:19:51

I use a AVA vision dac that is very nice with my mini torii Cheesy

IP Logged
Longbowbbs

Life is a journey,
not a guided tour.

Reply #6 - 10/08/12 at 03:16:41

I have listened to both the Wadia 121 and the W4S DAC2. Both are terrific and both require a couple of hundred hours of burn in. The W4S has a few more inputs so its a bit more expensive. I am sure there are better DAC's but the prices really go up and the law of diminishing returns really kicks in above either of them.

Upgradeus Interruptus
MacMini,W4S DAC-2 DSDse,Denon DVD-5900, Decware CSP2+, Taboo MK III, Sennheiser HD800's, DM945's, DefTech Supercube 3
http://www.head-fi.org/t/654644/a-visit-to-decware
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #7 - 10/08/12 at 16:27:18

The dB Labs Tranquility is Selling for $700 or so on Audiogon and it is fantastic for that price and is made in America with very good support.  I just plugged mine in and it compares very well to the EE Dac Plus and the Metrum Octave.

IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 10/08/12 at 22:35:30

dB Labs Tranquility is USB only.

IIRC it started out as SPDIF only and was changed to USB, now they have a SPDIF DAC coming soon. Huh

IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/09/12 at 07:08:38

Wow, what a great list of feedback, I can see I have my work cut out for me!

jameskk, I never thought about the ZCD 200i as an option, although I don't have many CD's, I prefer reading files from my PC as my source, so it would almost be a waste to get something with a CD player.  But good to know!

Donnie, the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 has got some great reviews, but I was trying to get 24/192 ... Although the DAC2 has that feature, but at $499 more.

busterfree, the PS Audio looks promising.  I'll definitely check into that one. I think I read somewhere that Lon has the big brother PerfectWave ... that is a cool piece of gear, however out of my budget.

JazztoGo, the AVA's are interesting.  I never heard of them, but would love to hear that hybrid tube DAC ... very industrial looking design too!  I wonder if they come up on audiogon every once in a while for a used one?

Morganc and opnly_bafld (cool name by the way), I read about dB Labs last year and then forgot all about them,  Have you seen this thread http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=74816.0 ?  It is an extensive post about their products and overall just a whole lot of good info in general.

Thanks guys for the great feedback!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 10/09/12 at 13:47:47

I do have the big brother to the new PS Audio NuWave DAC, and because I love the big brother so much I would definitely audition the new one if I could if I were in the market for a DAC at that price point.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Audioqwest
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 10/17/12 at 13:02:24

If you can find a used Theta Pro Gen model you can't go wrong, or the Benchmark DAC are also very good for the money, especially used.

Apogee Scintilla - 1 ohm (painted Sterling Gray Metallic RM base/clearcoat by yours truly), Decware ZTPRE, Theta Pearl & DS Pro Prime II, Parasound T/DQ 1600, Threshold S/200.
  IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #12 - 10/17/12 at 14:15:24

Hello Beowulf,
Couple of things,
If you are at least an average DIYer, w/o question, you need to check these guys out:
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/landing.aspx
State of the art stuff.

Second, if you are using a Windows based system, w/o question, you need JPlay riding on J.River Media Center as your media playback engine. Truly incredible computer playback. Nothing is better than this for a Windows system.

I'll elaborate further if anyone is interested.

Cheers,                 Crazy Bill

« Last Edit: 10/17/12 at 14:16:01 by Crazy Bill the Eel Killer »  
  IP Logged
beowulf
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 10/18/12 at 07:50:41

Wow, Crazy Bill ... thanks for turning me onto that site, very cool and tons of reading and info!

Have you built one of these yourself?  If so, which model?

Thanks!

IP Logged
Crazy Bill the Eel Killer

Tubes Rule !!

Reply #14 - 10/19/12 at 17:18:06

No Beowulf, I have not, as of yet, built one of their DAC's. Though I will be ( short of hitting Lotto and having unlimited cash ), building one up in the future. Probably the Buffalo III, though I haven't ruled out the COD as it would ( for me ) be easier to design an all tube IV converter output stage.

That said, I do have, in house, their Ventus headphone amp w/ Placid BP PS. Just haven't got around to building it yet, and very possibly might never actually build it. But I can unequivocally state that I am incredibly impressed by the quality of what I received from TP. Everything in the kits are first class right down to the available documentation. If you can stuff a board, you can build their stuff.

That's all the time I have for now. More to follow.

Cheers,                    Crazy Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print