Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/23/14 at 00:49:09

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
DECWARE ZENFEST 2012 LIVE HI-RES BROADCAST (Read 7088 times)
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

DECWARE ZENFEST 2012 LIVE HI-RES BROADCAST
09/30/12 at 02:10:29

Hi everyone!

Just a reminder that we will be broadcasting the majority of the fest live all three days so that those who didn't make it can tune in from home.

I just talked to a gentlemen yesterday and mentioned this to him, and he already knew or had head about it but had no plans to watch it because he assumed the sound quality would be poor and you wouldn't be able to hear anything through headphones, like the differences between speakers and or amplifiers...

I was at that moment I realized this is probably what everyone thinks!  

If you've got a half way decent sounding desktop computer, like an IMac, you don't even need headphones...

Anyway,  we still have 5 hours of last years fest online so you can decide for yourself if the sound quality is worthy of your time or not.  The broadcast is in CD quality, and the hanging microphones in the room give a bit more room sound than you would notice from the listening chair which has proven to make the differences between components even easier to hear...

So give it a try at the link below.  When it goes live, and during testing the nights before, the broadcast will be in the same window, so just bookmark the page!

Steve

http://www.decware.com/newsite/zenfest2011.html

WWW   IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Re: DECWARE ZENFEST 2012 LIVE HI-RES BROADCAST
Reply #1 - 10/05/12 at 17:57:11

Well as many of you may know I am usually at DecFest every year. Unfortunately a few curve balls have been thrown my way and I will not be attending. However I want to thank Steve for the live feed and how much that wonderful effort is making me feel so much part of the action!!! nice to have the feed right through the main speakers and on screen. DecFest is right here in my living room! I even have HDMI from Mac Mini to my 60" flat screen if I want. And on that note I encourage all of you to at least even in crude form take the analog out of your favorite computer and some interconnects and make it a DecFest weekend.  ;)

Now on to last night (Thurs.). As the Fest set up was underway just went to see if the feed was running and indeed it was. So having direct contact with the Ziegler boys I informed them that indeed my "eye from the sky" was tuned in. Some texts and banter on the phone and I was using "SoundHound" app on the iPhone to identify what they were spinning from moment to moment and started queueing up all that on MOG streaming. I had a great time last night hearing the ambiance of the Decware room and tunes being played through various speakers and amps and would momentarily mute the live feed and hit play on the real tunes and it was "way cool" and fun to listen to that and the Decware "room" . Question you might be asking is obvious is there a lot of difference in spinning your own source or hearing same in the Fest sound field and the answer is an unqualified yes. But the striking moment was when Bob started swapping out speakers and amps and you could definitely get a sense of the sonic tone and changes in imaging from the different amps and speakers. Yes it is pretty much the sound of Gear + Room. The sound quality is admirable for a live feed and I expected much less. See I never experienced the feed from home live so I was not sure how much break up (digital interruption) or other anomalies like really ugly compression dithering. For what Steve is doing this feed is like I said like attending without being there. Of course absolute tonality and attributes can only be heard in person but the fact that you could hear a "body" change in the weight of bass or midrange tonality between amps and speakers right away with no ambiguity about it was really nice. The live feed does translate the room to your listening at home. Again I recommend just putting it right through your rig directly analog or through your USB DAC. I have two Mini set ups in two different living rooms here (we occupy both sides of a twinplex) ultimately through both pair of Bob's HR-1 radial designs (the white speakers at DecFest). And of course it is wonderful to eves drop on all my Decware "buds" I hear you right now talking to Steve DeVon!!!
So hook in all you internet Hi-Fi geeks!

I SO wanted to be there  ::) Cry
Love you all guys miss ya too. Not so bad thanks to the live feed IT'S GREAT!!!!!! Thanks Steve, Bob, DeVon, Sarah and the whole crew that will attend!

Hi-Fi Gear: More than I need! Not as much as I want!
  IP Logged
opnly_bafld
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 10/05/12 at 18:04:19

You will be missed Chris! Sad

Take care,
Lin

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #3 - 10/05/12 at 18:28:52

FWIW The tune that is playing right now is "Into the Dark"by Jesse Cook and the detail is superb even streaming of MOG and the bass is "subterranean" on HR-1 (like the white ones) in my living room right now!!! any one who wants me to cue up tunes when I can get the chance this I will. I have HR-1, Trapezium, Original MG-944, HDT with TangBand driver here. For the weekend I only can swap in Trapezium in place of HR-1. The MG's are stacked in corner. I've run out of room and my understanding wife has raised eyebrows over the last year. Not mad at me though. Just questions sanity of this hi-fi obsession. Grin

« Last Edit: 10/05/12 at 18:38:35 by Chris K »  

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #4 - 10/05/12 at 18:37:56

Thanks Lin! You enjoy for me eh?

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 10/05/12 at 19:12:46

So, they are mic-ing the speakers there?...

They're not simply taking a line out from the amps?...

As a recordist, I'm wondering what kind of mics they're using...

They sound pretty clean... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #6 - 10/05/12 at 19:16:58

The stereo mics are up and to the right of the ceiling fan Steve can provide the details but yes the room is miced in stereo from one spot.
on second glance maybe lower than the fan? Above everyones head substantially.

« Last Edit: 10/05/12 at 19:19:45 by Chris K »  

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #7 - 10/05/12 at 20:08:43

The all seeing audio overlord say change the music. He likey likey but want more variety! Grin

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #8 - 10/05/12 at 22:39:20

Anybody Watchin? Come now there's nothin better on a Friday night boys & girls!!!!!! Wink

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 10/05/12 at 23:01:54

Me here... Have the whole show on as I work elsewhere on my computer... (m.) ps: I'd like to know the source... Decware CD player?... 'Cause I just ordered one... (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 10/05/12 at 23:15:25

Heyas Chris K, and anyone else, yeah, so I am watching with a pout on my face, wishing I was there this year.  :(

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #11 - 10/05/12 at 23:18:45

It's "Rachel" the latest SE34 integrated amp with the HDT right now and the white and silver HR-one's radial just before these. Yes I believe they are using the Decware CDP but Bob's DAC might be in the loop I cant know for sure. That is a sweet one off DAC so.....?

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #12 - 10/05/12 at 23:20:33

Yes Jason me not there too. You should send me more email and bug me I have not had a moments rest since last DecFest. Still have speakers on ice 4 you if so inclined.

IP Logged
JasonGmt
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 10/05/12 at 23:24:39

Well, it's better to be busy then Idle, in most cases, anyways. I will correspond with you more! I am interested in those towers still, I would assume that Pre-amp is long gone by now? I will send out an e-mail and we can discuss more. good to here from ya.

IP Logged
Chris K
Seasoned Member

My owner only hears
to 16K WELL I can
hear to 60K!

Reply #14 - 10/05/12 at 23:27:48

Nope it is around but its a story for PM. I'll try to get my hands on it but it would be tough.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print