Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
05/30/16 at 04:08:33 

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SuperZen and 16ohm Speaker Load (Read 19719 times)
Hank
Verified Member

Re: SuperZen and 16ohm Speaker Load
Reply #15 - 11/01/12 at 16:44:13

I have ordered the SuperZen and based on what has already been discussed have selected speaker option B, since the speakers I currently have are nominally rated at 8 Ohms.

For me right now speaker matching and impedance ratings is an unlearned science.  So if I were thinking for some time in the future investing in DM945's or MG944's what would be the consequences of the option B?

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp; TABOO; CSP2; ZenHead; Mini TORII SE-X; SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable; Bellari Tube Phono Preamp; Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Trapezium Desktop Speakers; Tekton 8.1en Speakers; Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/01/12 at 22:47:26

I would talk to Steve and consider changing back to the A transformer. I think the A sounds better.

TORII MK IV; TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR-1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 TT; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #17 - 11/02/12 at 03:20:04

Rivieraranch,

What's the transformer sound difference you heard with your Zen? I have the new Super Zen and just spoke with Steve about sending mine back for the B because I'm getting distortion at the 1 o'clock volume position, yet the volume is barely reaching my "normal" moderate listening level.  This is with Tekton Lore 98db/8ohm speakers.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/03/12 at 01:47:03

My ZEN is the SE84C+ which is about a year old and has the regular (A) transformer. I have used it with only 4 ohm impedance speakers so I could not comment on what it would have been like the with B transformers. My ZEN goes up to full volume then past 3/4 volume it goes into clipping with only mild distortion that does not sound bad.

TORII MK IV; TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR-1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 TT; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/05/12 at 01:11:31

I don't know know if this will help you, but I am powering my Zu Superfly's with a Torii that I ordered with 8 and 16 ohm taps. Sounds great with both, but I like the litte extra weight the 16 ohm taps gives. I have the volume maxed and use the volume control on my Dac (2 volt) signal. I never adjust the volume more then half way, unless I am listening to high quality high rez files. Then I go a bit higher due to the transparency and smoothness of the higher rez files.

« Last Edit: 11/05/12 at 01:12:26 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #20 - 11/05/12 at 20:35:36

Thanks Orange!  I think the 2 watt Zens are unique in that their standard transformers are set-up for lower impedance speakers and put out more power into 6, 4 and 2 ohms.  I believe the other Decware amps are more traditional

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 11/17/12 at 17:50:53

SuperZen is on the way! should have it on Monday.It will be hooked up to my idecco (dac only) & Squeezebox touch to my Zu Superflys with a Rel T3 sub. What do u guys think if I used the idecco as a pre amp so I could use the remote control? Pretty sure it would degrade the sound, but was just thinking I would give it a try. Anyway I'm thrilled to finally have a Decware amp! thanks Bob     

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 11/17/12 at 18:06:56

Congrats on the Super Zen being on the way! I would say try the digital volume control on the DAC. Why not? Many digital volume controls are well-implemented these days and I would suggest trying having the DAC volume about two-thirds of the way up and adjust the volume on the Super Zen until it is about your normal listening level and see what it all sounds like. . . . If you keep the DAC level in the upper range you shouldn't lose "hearable" resolution.

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III;PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,AC-12 power cords;Denon DVD-A1UDCI,Rega RP3,TTPSU,white belt, Groovetracer upgrades and +Exact2;VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius + Cremona, Iso-Pods; Mapleshade:Dble Helix Plus,Samson v2+3;Oppo PM-1 headphone
  IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 11/17/12 at 18:21:57

Thanks Lon, I"ll try that

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/17/12 at 23:32:24

The idecco uses a 32 bit Dac so you will have plenty of resolution to spare even with 24 bit tracks. Digital volume with 32 bit Dacs are great when acting as a digital preamp.

« Last Edit: 11/18/12 at 05:57:13 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 11/17/12 at 23:54:10

Wow this is great news! Thought it might suck, now i can't wait to try it. I"ll try it both ways and compare. Good to know i don't have to get another pre amp right away, not that i could right now. Thanks OC

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 11/22/12 at 03:14:20

Rockne, do you have the new nanotech drivers in your Zu's?

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 11/22/12 at 15:08:18

No, i haven't pulled the trigger on those yet. Mine sound so good i don't know if i need too, but i did talk to Gerrit at zu for a minute and he said its a big improvement so im sure i'll get that bug soon. I noticed you have a squeezebox touch, nice looking system by the way,have you tried listening to MOG yet? Its very high quality! If you have a ipad you can listen to almost any artist with the touch of ur fingertips. I pay 4.99 a month and its well worth it. The app i use is squeezepad, very cool.

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 11/22/12 at 15:11:46

By the way, the idecco is working nice as a pre amp. I was reading up on that dac of yours. Looks nice, how do you like it?

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 11/23/12 at 00:33:07

I have so much music, just have not got around to checking out subscription services. Usually most limit to 320 bit rate. I am very sensitive to lossy formats and even 320 I find irritating after awhile. Maybe it's all in my imagination. Wink

I put my order in for the nanotech drivers. Zu is back ordered like Decware, so mid to end January I should receive them. I am a bit nervous as I love what I am hearing now, but then again no one I have talked to would go back. Just might mean some more tube rolling. I really can't imagine a more revealing driver, but they say it is.

I love the Anedio. I tried many other dacs but the Anedio is just so honest and revealing with sweet, smooth highs. Like a vast clear blue sunny sky. Any other Dac I tried felt like it was a bottle neck for the Torii. It's also nice having a remote control to control the volume of the Torii.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print