Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
09/19/14 at 02:55:09

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
SuperZen and 16ohm Speaker Load (Read 10704 times)
Hank
Verified Member

Re: SuperZen and 16ohm Speaker Load
Reply #15 - 11/01/12 at 16:44:13

I have ordered the SuperZen and based on what has already been discussed have selected speaker option B, since the speakers I currently have are nominally rated at 8 Ohms.

For me right now speaker matching and impedance ratings is an unlearned science.  So if I were thinking for some time in the future investing in DM945's or MG944's what would be the consequences of the option B?

Regards,
Hank

Decware SE84DIY amp, TABOO, CSP2, ZenHead, Mini TORII SE-X. SE84CKC SuperZen
Visonik HIFI DD-8300 Turntable.
Bellari Tube Phono Preamp
Technics SL-PD5 CD Player
Tekton 8.1en Speakers
Tekton 4.1 Desktop Speakers
Grado SR60i phones
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 11/01/12 at 22:47:26

I would talk to Steve and consider changing back to the A transformer. I think the A sounds better.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #17 - 11/02/12 at 03:20:04

Rivieraranch,

What's the transformer sound difference you heard with your Zen? I have the new Super Zen and just spoke with Steve about sending mine back for the B because I'm getting distortion at the 1 o'clock volume position, yet the volume is barely reaching my "normal" moderate listening level.  This is with Tekton Lore 98db/8ohm speakers.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 11/03/12 at 01:47:03

My ZEN is the SE84C+ which is about a year old and has the regular (A) transformer. I have used it with only 4 ohm impedance speakers so I could not comment on what it would have been like the with B transformers. My ZEN goes up to full volume then past 3/4 volume it goes into clipping with only mild distortion that does not sound bad.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/05/12 at 01:11:31

I don't know know if this will help you, but I am powering my Zu Superfly's with a Torii that I ordered with 8 and 16 ohm taps. Sounds great with both, but I like the litte extra weight the 16 ohm taps gives. I have the volume maxed and use the volume control on my Dac (2 volt) signal. I never adjust the volume more then half way, unless I am listening to high quality high rez files. Then I go a bit higher due to the transparency and smoothness of the higher rez files.

« Last Edit: 11/05/12 at 01:12:26 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #20 - 11/05/12 at 20:35:36

Thanks Orange!  I think the 2 watt Zens are unique in that their standard transformers are set-up for lower impedance speakers and put out more power into 6, 4 and 2 ohms.  I believe the other Decware amps are more traditional

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #21 - 11/17/12 at 17:50:53

SuperZen is on the way! should have it on Monday.It will be hooked up to my idecco (dac only) & Squeezebox touch to my Zu Superflys with a Rel T3 sub. What do u guys think if I used the idecco as a pre amp so I could use the remote control? Pretty sure it would degrade the sound, but was just thinking I would give it a try. Anyway I'm thrilled to finally have a Decware amp! thanks Bob     

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 11/17/12 at 18:06:56

Congrats on the Super Zen being on the way! I would say try the digital volume control on the DAC. Why not? Many digital volume controls are well-implemented these days and I would suggest trying having the DAC volume about two-thirds of the way up and adjust the volume on the Super Zen until it is about your normal listening level and see what it all sounds like. . . . If you keep the DAC level in the upper range you shouldn't lose "hearable" resolution.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #23 - 11/17/12 at 18:21:57

Thanks Lon, I"ll try that

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/17/12 at 23:32:24

The idecco uses a 32 bit Dac so you will have plenty of resolution to spare even with 24 bit tracks. Digital volume with 32 bit Dacs are great when acting as a digital preamp.

« Last Edit: 11/18/12 at 05:57:13 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #25 - 11/17/12 at 23:54:10

Wow this is great news! Thought it might suck, now i can't wait to try it. I"ll try it both ways and compare. Good to know i don't have to get another pre amp right away, not that i could right now. Thanks OC

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 11/22/12 at 03:14:20

Rockne, do you have the new nanotech drivers in your Zu's?

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #27 - 11/22/12 at 15:08:18

No, i haven't pulled the trigger on those yet. Mine sound so good i don't know if i need too, but i did talk to Gerrit at zu for a minute and he said its a big improvement so im sure i'll get that bug soon. I noticed you have a squeezebox touch, nice looking system by the way,have you tried listening to MOG yet? Its very high quality! If you have a ipad you can listen to almost any artist with the touch of ur fingertips. I pay 4.99 a month and its well worth it. The app i use is squeezepad, very cool.

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #28 - 11/22/12 at 15:11:46

By the way, the idecco is working nice as a pre amp. I was reading up on that dac of yours. Looks nice, how do you like it?

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 11/23/12 at 00:33:07

I have so much music, just have not got around to checking out subscription services. Usually most limit to 320 bit rate. I am very sensitive to lossy formats and even 320 I find irritating after awhile. Maybe it's all in my imagination. Wink

I put my order in for the nanotech drivers. Zu is back ordered like Decware, so mid to end January I should receive them. I am a bit nervous as I love what I am hearing now, but then again no one I have talked to would go back. Just might mean some more tube rolling. I really can't imagine a more revealing driver, but they say it is.

I love the Anedio. I tried many other dacs but the Anedio is just so honest and revealing with sweet, smooth highs. Like a vast clear blue sunny sky. Any other Dac I tried felt like it was a bottle neck for the Torii. It's also nice having a remote control to control the volume of the Torii.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print