Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
07/29/14 at 15:47:54

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Anyone tried the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectis? (Read 11479 times)
will
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone tried the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectis?
Reply #45 - 10/01/12 at 05:40:24

Yes, so hard to say how the tubes will translate to your system, but hopefully my attempts at comparison tube to tube will give a sense of the differences in them, at least pointing to what you could expect in your system. My speakers/system/room seem relatively tolerant of various tube signatures, especially since I have a nice selection of all the tube types, so synergy can happen pretty easily.

I did notice a difference with the AQVOX, bringing out some space and micro detail from these already excellent qualities in the Tranquility. Perhaps too much on first impressions, but I tuned it in to the system and really like it finally. Being a texture freak too, and loving ambient accuracy close and far, and the associated sense of soundstage density and dispersion that can come from excellent micro detail and ambient information...it can bring such a nice sense of the instrument in this room.

I wonder if your DAC has somehow isolated the USB power internally, or maybe the computer not being in your equation makes a difference. I was surprised at the difference in mine (at least in serious listening mode), especially since the DAC was sooo good at these things to start with. This is part of why the Tranquility is so stripped down and fundamental parts-wise, the makers having ruled out async and upsampling as causing sound issues.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #46 - 10/05/12 at 14:49:00

Hey OC,  how goes it?

Just a point of clarification--I didn't sell the Zu/Torii combination because I felt it to be sterile, I was having major room issues which I couldn't cure at the time.  I came home from work one day to find my wife had re-organized the living room in a more baby-friendly manner and I couldn't get my Superflys to give me their magic in that configuration.  I tried for months and finally a friend helped me re-nail it and I was on cloud 9....

Then we re-arranged the room a bit more as my son got more mobile and I lost it.  Out of frustration I sold the Zu speakers and bought Von Schweikert VR-33s which had an efficiency rating of 90db (so I could keep the Torii) and could be placed against a wall with little thought going into placement...    Despite seeming OK on paper Torii was a miserable match to it and led to me selling it.

One other point--I wasn't a big fan of the Torii by itself.  I think it really shined when I used it as a power amp behind an Audion Premier preamplifier.

---  

As for the nano-tech drivers, they're very impressive.  I've heard them in a Superfly (totally different speaker!) Omen Defs, Def 4s and in my own upgraded Definition 2s and they're just really transparent, nimble, resolved and expressive while maintaining Zu's tone density and meatiness.  

The downside is that they will highlight  fault in your chain.  Having the stock 211 power tubes in my amp for example left my system almost unlistenable--getting it right elevated it to mesmerizing....

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 10/06/12 at 01:27:35

Thanks Fred, I am excited about the driver upgrade. That's great Zu offers the upgrade at a pretty reasonable cost. Your the first person I have heard mention the difference in sound.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #48 - 11/09/12 at 06:18:40

Received my Shugang 274B Preffered Series today fom TubeStore. Right out of the box I am impressed. I have to agree with Gopher and Will. Also, SBerger is dead on, they have everything I like in the 1950's Russian Svetlanas, but just more. The bass is not less, just more tight, less muddy, with a bit more air and that euphoric quality that is very seductive. Yet, all the detail is still there. Texture which the Russian tubes excel in, is even better. Very nice. How many hours to wait for a more accurate impression?

Btw, I hear no similarality with the stock ruby, which I also do not like.

Edit: My wife and I did some serious listening and comparisons today. The Svetlanas have slightly more attack and impact which we like, but that comes at the expense of midrange vocals. The 274B favor midrange, and a sweet midrange it is. Vocals are more prominent. We like both, but so far the 274B is really attractive.

« Last Edit: 11/10/12 at 01:07:15 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #49 - 11/16/12 at 01:24:56

All the praise you folk are singing about this tube made me order another so that I could try them in the Torii Mk III. Well, I sure don't like one in the CSP2+ but I am enjoying them at the moment in the Torii. I miss a bit of warmth that the RCA 5U4Gs have been giving me, but so far I like them otherwise quite well. Only have a few hours on them.

I may put the RCAs back in tomorrow when the ZP3 arrives just for the "familiarity factor."

EDIT: to add: trying to get used to the bigger image and sound stage, that's my one hurdle with these tubes in the Torii after 12 hours. It could be a bit darker, but it's really the seeming exaggeration of the size of things that is getting to me. We'll see. Impressive tubes for the price.

I changed OC2 tubes to my RCA pair which has helped reign in the somewhat excessive "wetness". . . .

« Last Edit: 11/16/12 at 12:38:57 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 11/17/12 at 23:22:36

Yeah, it is a huge sound stage! For my taste its not exaggerated but more front row. I think it depends where you want to sit. I do agree  some music it can be bit in your face but, I usually just turn down the volume a tad. It seems to be louder. The highs are so extended yet so smooth.

« Last Edit: 11/18/12 at 06:01:22 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #51 - 11/17/12 at 23:32:30

Yes, I like the highs. I'm not as fond of the lower frequencies, wish there was a bit more heft. The soundstage does seem a bit exaggerated to me. Anyway, I'm not a first row fan, so it's taking me some time to get a grip.

I'm getting used to these and like them a lot. Once I get about 150 hours on them or so I'll decide whether they'll be a back up pair or my steady diet. At this point I'd recommend them to any Torii user, they may not end up being a favorite (I miss several pairs of RCA 5U4Gs right now myself, just for that imaging and sound stage "neutrality". but they should be tried out, they're got a lot to offer, and don't seem to be electrically stressed.

« Last Edit: 11/17/12 at 23:48:18 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #52 - 11/18/12 at 06:05:54

Sorry along I can't remember anymore, are you using RCA 5U4G coke bottles or the straight shoulder ones?

I found the ST coke bottles to be light in the bass department, but never tried any of the regular straight shoulder types.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #53 - 11/18/12 at 12:51:59

I've actually used both and have had good bass from both types. Had been using some excellent coke bottle types until one won't play in the right channel of my Torii III which has issues with bube contact, and I have two pair of straight shoulders that I like to use in both Toriis. I find these tubes give a touch of lower mid, upper bass warmth that I'm very used to and like very much and the Valve Art don't yet exhibit.

Maybe I'll get over it. Putting the Power Plant Premier into "multi-wave" mode helps a bit. More likely after I hear how these Valve Arts sound after 150 or 200 hours and they aren't significantly changed I'll keep them as a back up pair or use them in the Torii II.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #54 - 11/19/12 at 19:32:19

The Valve Art 274B pair had about 80 hours on them and I decided to put them in backup status for a while. I put the RCA 5U4G rectifiers that I had been using just before and signed a bit of relief. These present just that little bit of warmth that I had been missing the last few days. The output dropped a bit, which surprised me a little. I think the 274B will be in again in time, but right now with the ZP3 being broken in I'm happy and familiar with this sound and have one less thing to critically listen to / for.

« Last Edit: 11/19/12 at 19:36:48 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #55 - 01/18/13 at 20:51:26

Anyone enjoying these valves and want to try them cryo'd I pulled Ron Sheldon of cryoset.com's coat tails towards them and he has some cryo'd now.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 01/20/13 at 00:42:02

Thanks Northery heads up Lon. I will order a set.

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 01/20/13 at 00:43:04

Thanks for the heads up Lon. I will order a set.

IP Logged
Italia64
Verified Member

Reply #58 - 01/20/13 at 02:07:55

Cool!  The Torii Mk2 that I just acquired came with the Valve Art version of the 274B, sounds good.  Might grab some of these for future use.

- Michael

« Last Edit: 01/20/13 at 02:08:21 by Italia64 »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 01/20/13 at 05:14:58

Thanks also Lon. Ordered some today.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print