Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/22/14 at 13:41:48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Anyone tried the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectis? (Read 13152 times)
sberger
Seasoned Member

Re: Anyone tried the inexpensive Shuguang 274B rectis?
Reply #15 - 09/27/12 at 23:44:26

Steve thanks. Great information.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #16 - 09/28/12 at 00:10:04

Yes, thanks. Interesting that you think they are basically the same as the 5U4G tubes. I am not very fond of those either.:)

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 09/28/12 at 00:20:26

Lon what rectifier are you using these days?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #18 - 09/28/12 at 00:34:49

A pair of rectifiers I bought from Mike months ago, RCA 5U4G (bottle type, the first pair of this type I've liked) from the 'fifties.

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/28/12 at 01:05:25

Ah ok. Thought you were using 5U4G's but then after your comment wasn't so sure.  Glad you found a variety that's working out for you.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 09/28/12 at 03:47:14

I just meant the 5U4Gs that Steve was referencing that he had been sending with the amps that he felt were similar to the Valve Art 274B, the latter being he surmised the same works in a bigger bottle. I never liked the rectifiers shipped with the amps, I always replace them, usually with RCA 5U4Gs. I generally prefer straight shoulder ones, but these from tgarden are different, work very well with the JJ 6CA7s.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 09/28/12 at 17:05:20

Hi Lon,  

I'm glad you like the RCA 5U4G's you bought from me some months ago.

Were those top getters or the older style bottom getters?  

Mike in Seattle area

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #22 - 09/28/12 at 17:59:39

Mike, bottom getter. Very nice tubes, I like what they contribute.

IP Logged
tgarden
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/28/12 at 22:22:26

Thanks for letting me know.  The bottom getter RCA's preceded the top getters (I think the change happened around '49-50) and are tough to find.)

I have not tried the couple pairs I kept for myself, but after hearing your comments, I'm hanging on to mine.

Any idea when your ZP3 will arrive?

Mike

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 09/28/12 at 22:34:53

My order was in August 20, so I have time on the clock yet. Though looking at the pending orders, there are less than earlier this year and maybe it will be a bit shorter. . . but my guess is six more weeks or more.

Interested to hear what you think if you try those rectifiers.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 09/29/12 at 01:04:44

Interested in Steve's comments, I looked carefully at the Valve Art/Shuguang 274Bs I have, and they look a lot like the Shuguang 5U4G to me too. Also, they are not arcing at all after a few days of use. They seem to light up at the same pace and in the same way as the 5U4Gs.

Then I decided to test the sound, especially since I, like Lon, did not particularly like the Ruby/Shuguang 5U4Gs, especially compared to many NOS 5U4GB and STs.

Well with my present Torii MkIII tube set (Raytheon/Westinghouse OB3-ST, Zaerix labelled 7Dj8s that look like Russian 6N23P, but sound like really nice 7DJ8s, Raytheon OC2, cryo'd JJ 6CA7...and with NOS Russian K40Y-9 PIO coupling caps), I heard a distinct family resemblance, but my copies of the 274B are great sounding tubes...open, deep, clarified, dynamic, solid and well organized bass, excellent ambient/spacial information...they are atmospheric and a little lush feeling without detail sacrifice opening the sound stage nicely... spacious and convincing.

Alternately, the 5U4Gs sound like they are trying to do all the same stuff, but can't quite get there... making them sound leaner, edgier, less spacious, less balanced, and subsequently, they are less convincing and restricted/contracted feeling by comparison.

All in all the balance of the 274Bs is very good with this setup and this pair, and I too find them convincing and engaging.

Clearly with the copies I have, if all else is equal between these 5U4G and "274B", the big bottle and the extra getter make an OK tube a really good one.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 09/29/12 at 01:16:05

Lon,

It does not surprise me that you did not like the 274B in your CSP2+ if you prefer a 5Y3GT. I have some nice 5Y3GTs and they are generally distinctly more low key than a 5U4G in my Torii...They can be rich and sweet, but less push. I used to use them to reduce bass and create a bit more smoothness and spaciousness, but always missed the dynamics and "bite" the 5U4Gs or 5AR4s gave by comparison. So if the CSP2+ is great in your setup with the 5Y3GT you are using, I would think any 5U4 might be a bit big and pushy. I wonder...have you checked that out.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Gopher

Reply #27 - 09/29/12 at 02:37:46

Great to read, Will.  I'm glad these little cheapies are impressing you.  I'm selling my NOS rectis in favor of this $10 current production over achiever.

Anyone else tune in:  give 'em a try.  My prejudices against chinese tubes would have said 'junk 'em' as well, but they've proven to be excellent.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/29/12 at 06:45:21

Yes, thanks for the tip Gopher. That weird bottle looks cool too!

I have not done testing with different tubes, but with this set, the synergy is really nice. I should see how they hold up with various inputs...one of these days...

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 09/29/12 at 07:46:33

Well after reading Steve's comments stuck them back in as we'll. The Russian 5c3S are fantastic but the bottom end is almost too much. The 274B gives me a more natural even tone while not losing any of the grandness of the Russian tube. And yeah they do look swell. Fun times.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print