Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/29/14 at 00:11:55

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
New Super Zen vs. Zen Select (Read 16804 times)
Lonely Raven
Seasoned Member

Jack of all Trades,
Master of None

Re: New Super Zen vs. Zen Select
Reply #60 - 12/14/13 at 15:48:39

I had my 15 year old Zen updated. Steve said because of the layout and design of the original Zen amps (mine), that he couldn't update it to the Super Zen without completely gutting the amp and starting fresh...which wasn't going to happen.

At the Decfest, I put my modified amp up against the Super Zen, and the Super Zen came out on top. The bass was tighter and the presentation was cleaner.

Still my amp was at least 85% of what the Super Zen was, and now that I've re-broken it in, it's suddenly blossomed in the past week or so. Which is a good thing too, because I was getting upset with it for a bit, then suddenly it came back twice as nice!

The Super Zen I'd have to say, is worth every penny. I really enjoyed listening to it, and if I didn't have my heart set on one of the bigger amps, I'd probably have put an order in on one.

WWW Lonely Raven   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #61 - 12/14/13 at 16:09:28

Yes, I was seeking to have my Zen amp #27 upgraded to a Select years ago. It had been upgraded to a Rev. A, but not B and then the C and Select came out and I wanted this to become a Select. Steve said it made more sense to get a Select. I did. Leant my Rev.A to a friend who had it for more than a decade, and then bought a Taboo. He loves the look of the Taboo and some things about it but he swears he prefers the Rev. A. Shows what seasoning can do! And what a powerful juju even the most basic Zen amp has.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #62 - 12/14/13 at 18:41:19

I was there  at the Fest when we A/B'd Lonely Raven's old Zen against a new Super Zen. You could definitely hear the difference in resolution right away.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #63 - 12/15/13 at 12:23:04

Well that sets me straight ,I have a really nice white select , that I lent to my cousin while his Mini tori was being upgraded and was thinking about upgrading it to superzen status not superselect . may just leave it alone . The se84C+ I have that was in my fire is pretty beat up externally (chassis wise), however that sounds terrific also, so will keep everything as is . Thanks for the feedback.

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #64 - 09/09/14 at 20:03:12

of the massive AB comparisons I and my friend Jeff have done , theres just something about the small super Zen amps. youll have to spend a lot of money to better IT. But there is another !!!

« Last Edit: 09/09/14 at 20:06:35 by jameskk »  
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print