Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/22/14 at 20:01:26

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
New Super Zen vs. Zen Select (Read 17368 times)
rockn
Verified Member

Re: New Super Zen vs. Zen Select
Reply #15 - 11/21/12 at 02:28:27

Gotcha, thanks Lon. I can tell already this is a special little amp. Only 3 hrs in. Nice...

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #16 - 11/21/12 at 04:00:45

James and Rockn,

What speakers are you using with the SuperZen?

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 11/21/12 at 12:15:53

I want to bring out one more point. this amp is a great input tube tester. in 2 cases I tried 6dj8's bugle boy Dgetters and in both cases I had noise in both along with the original 6n1p that came with the amp. luckily I had more 6n1p's to use,and work flawlessly,and quiet!!!!!!!

IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #18 - 11/21/12 at 13:53:22

I'm using Zu Superflys.

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 11/21/12 at 20:01:45

Rockn,

Just curious how much volume you are able to get out of that combo? I have been thinking about the Zu Superfly or perhaps Omen Def myself.

For the past 10 years I have run a Select with Klipsch RF-7's (101 db). Currently using an Oppo BDP-83SE connected directly to the Select and do not lack for volume in my relatively large listening area. I listen primarily to Rock and Blues so I like to crank it once in a while.

I never sent my Select in for any of the mods because I did not want to do without for a couple weeks while being modded. Now that the Super Zen is out I ordered one with the 6-16 ohm output transformers in case I decide to try the Zu's?

The Klipsch RF-7's are 8 ohm speakers so the comparison between my old Select and the new Super Zen will be interesting.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #20 - 11/21/12 at 21:01:37

Thanks for the response Rockn.  I have a SuperZen with Tekton Lore speakers, but sent it back for Steve to check out, then possibly have the 6-12 ohm transformers installed.  The stock amplifier was tanking out at the 12 O'clock position, and produce major distortion at 1 o'clock and higher, all the while producing volume less then my normal listening level.  The Lore is a 98 db/8 ohm speaker and is similar in concept to the Zu's (Eric Alexander used to work there), but I learned from the Eric the main driver impedance never dips below 8 ohms, and peaks at 16 ohms at 1 khz.

IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #21 - 11/21/12 at 21:03:18

DBC,

I had killer results with a Select/Klipsch Forte I combo years ago.  But the Forte I speakers are actually nominally 4 ohms!!

IP Logged
DBC
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 11/21/12 at 22:09:28

ZENCDUSER,

Select & RF-7's are great also. With only 2 watts you have to have very high efficiency if you want to play loud.

I heard the Super Zen and HDT's (96 db) at the Zen Fest this year and was surprised how much reduced the volume was compared to my setup here at home. The sound was great but the available volume was not Rockin level. In fact I didn't think the Rachel and the HDT's played as loud as the Select / Klipsch RF-7 combo.

Zu seems to be the only real alternative to Klipsch for reasonably priced 100 db speakers.  I love the Klipsch but as a music lover Zu has kind of peaked my interest.

Oppo BDP-83SE, SE84CKC amp, Klipsch RF-7 mains, HSU MBM-12 MK2 mid bass module, HSU ULS-15 sub
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 11/22/12 at 12:15:52

And about 2 or 3 weeks of regular use after that breakin ... I 'm using the Audio Nirvana super 8's, by common sense audio.com. In 2.8 cabinets , and 10 inch cast frames in 2.8 cabinets , both around 99db sensitivity. maybe not be the best out there,but they are close ,once broken in , and tweaked. Smiley

« Last Edit: 11/22/12 at 12:17:26 by jameskk »  
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 11/22/12 at 12:26:38

hey DBC the reason was probably the 5 volt output on the zcd as compared to the 2 volts on yours??????????? this is one of the main reason I like my zcd 200i. less pressure on the amp. Suprised not more of the Decwarephiles on this site dont use it . it's as good as their amps, another piece that takes a long time to breakin. Happy thanksgiving to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: 11/22/12 at 12:37:19 by jameskk »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #25 - 11/22/12 at 13:07:40

Indeed, the 5 volt output of the ZCD does make a nice difference. I had one of the earlier models of ZCD with all the options but alas never warmed up to it, it just didn't have the sound I needed for most of my recordings and I started on another search for a source that ended up with me buying the PS Audio PerfectWave Duo. But from the feedback I read I was pretty much alone in that assessment of the ZCD, it seems to get lots of love and really should be tried in your system to see whether the synergy is there.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 11/22/12 at 13:42:33

Well before this player I had 2 rega apollo's which i loved . the tone of instruments just seemed better than most .  the zcd seems more extended and has a deeper soundstage . however the rega ,at times really is impressive , thats why I have a rega Dac to work on the tascam side of the cd player, call me a cheater??? HaHa

IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 11/23/12 at 11:05:43

to those who are concerned . the superzen on initial turnon ,as soon a the switch is turned on . the 274 rectifier is showing a small amount of flash......not audible , but  present.........I think Steve wanted to know  about this. dont know why it's doing this......... I would say theres anywhere from 50 to 80 hours on the amp from me. I bought 2 extra 274's , Justin Case!!!!!!!! Anyone know the difference in sound between a 274 and a 5u4,significant or minimal ?????????

« Last Edit: 11/23/12 at 11:47:52 by jameskk »  
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 11/23/12 at 13:10:08

The 274B gets really stressed in this circuit, which could lead to early tube failure. It would be safer to go with a 5U4G. Others have commented on the 274B sound.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 11/23/12 at 13:38:51

Though the Valve Art/Shuagang that Steve has been sending with some amps and talking about seems to be more of a 5U4G and doesn't arc or flash in my amps. It's an okay tube but ultimately it's too lean and forward for my everyday first choice use in the Torii. I didn't like it at all in a CSP2 or CSP2+.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print