Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/21/14 at 03:22:12

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
New Super Zen vs. Zen Select (Read 15685 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

New Super Zen vs. Zen Select
09/15/12 at 21:30:23

With the new Super Zen, will we even need a Zen Select?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: New Super Zen vs. Zen Select
Reply #1 - 09/16/12 at 14:35:16

I am wondering the same thing?

I do look forward to comparing my stock SE84CS to my SuperZen in my main/reference rig/setup. The Amps only swaped out of course/all else equal.

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
ZENCDUSER

Reply #2 - 09/22/12 at 00:00:12

Was thinking the same!  Cant wait for the new Super Zen website and photos ( HINT HINT Steve!!) Grin

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #3 - 09/25/12 at 21:24:11

The Select (SE84CS and then later the SE84ZS) used a better cathode resistor for the output stage and our WIMA FKP-1 series coupling caps which are of course very good.

The SuperZen is now using the same cathode resistor, but also has updated plate resistors, updated front end power supply (we removed the two 3.3uf poly caps) and the Jupitor bees wax foil caps with silver leads.  These caps in this amplifier have a more organic sound and actually better transparency than even the VCAPS.  Of course compared to an original SE84CS, the SuperZen has the CCE mod and the CKC mods and twice as thick of a chassis for less vibration.  It will sound better, no question, however keep one thing in mind...

Zen amps get better sounding the older they get.  An SE84CS from many years ago will sound better than a new SuperZen for quite some time, until the SuperZen has fully broken in and got some seasoning under it's belt.  We have built new SE84CS and compared to new SuperZen to find out what the differences really were, and lets just say they are substantial.

Now the only difference between a new SE84ZS and the SuperZen would be the chassis itself.  We will still offer the SE84ZS for anyone who prefers this style of chassis.

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #4 - 09/25/12 at 21:25:19

Here is the page for the new Super Zen!

http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKC.html

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #5 - 10/01/12 at 14:59:08

Thanks Steve for this info. I look forward to having fun with my SE84CS and new CKC. I will start with the 5 hours on and off....... . I already know that I will have two of the most transparent & musical Amps on the planet.  Have a great Decfest.   -Larry

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 11/04/12 at 11:27:32

I'm not going to comment on the sound of the superzen because I dont know how much breakin is required . I have 005. went through all the breakin that Steve recommends . now I'm using it as I would any normal amp . The amp runs suprisingly cooler than zens of the past on which I have three. The transformer is smaller than the past zen ,white se84c+..... this superzen looks like its built to last into many generations of audiophiles.The huge 274 B rectifier is barely accomodated as it almost touches the transformer......  I have not gone back to the earlier generation of zen to compare either.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 11/04/12 at 11:57:07

Thanks for the update.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #8 - 11/09/12 at 06:24:45

I'm getting excited.....my CKC is in QC as of 11/5 email. I hope to get the ship email soon and it is coming with Zen Styx silver banana termination Speaker wire.  -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
jameskk
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 11/19/12 at 11:06:45

I've been struggling for 2 days now to explain my thoughts on the Superzen . I'm really trying to restrain myself by not blurting out childish remarks. This amp lacks nothing,  restricts nothing, tells you whats on the particular cd,good or bad . lets you know when the engineer made an adjustment on the recording, good or bad ,so easy to listen to . the next positive stage in the evolution of the zen triode. Super...... yes........ fully broken in, probably not! Will I get my other zens upgraded to a superzen , you betcha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Reply #10 - 11/19/12 at 14:51:26

My sentiments exactly, jameskk. I received mine on Friday and I have been pleased right out of the box/certainly far from broke in. I should be cleaning leaves out of my gutters.....but it will have to wait until tomorrow......... .  

Masterpiece Steve.

Stone of Tone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #11 - 11/20/12 at 20:05:45

I'll be hooking up the S zen later! So whats the break in procedure? 5 hour on and off? with or without music? Bob

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #12 - 11/20/12 at 20:15:53

Play music as you normally would for five hours or so and then turn the amp off for at least five hours. That's what Steve prescribes. Works at getting the capacitors fairly well seated, gives you a good start towards the signature sound.

Congrats!!!!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
rockn
Verified Member

Reply #13 - 11/20/12 at 20:50:31

Thanks!! So I just need to do this once and I'm good?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 11/20/12 at 21:01:39

No, sorry forgot to mention it's five cycles of on and off that Steve recommends.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print