Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/24/14 at 04:49:04

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Noisy Shugang Treasures (Read 3540 times)
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Re: Noisy Shugang Treasures
Reply #15 - 02/13/13 at 08:13:39

Well, I broke down and did exactly that as well—ordered some Cryoset JJs [the ones I have on hand are not cryo-ed], and while at it, I decided to try your recommendation of the Shuguang 274B from The Tube Store. Looking forward to trying them.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 02/13/13 at 20:21:10

OC,

I wonder if you were running the 274Bs with the Treasures when shifting to the JJs and they sounded more revealing. Those 274s are interesting...very open and big to me, but not too cool either... also particularly revealing, without that sort of tight tinselly thing the Ruby 5U4Gs can have..They would surely make those breaking in JJs different compared to the NOS Russians, or most any other rectifier for that matter. I found the JJs got better for a couple hundred hours, finally sounding without restraint or particular color...very good flow finally.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 02/14/13 at 01:18:42

Will, no, that was before the 274B's when I had settled on the NOS 1957 Svetlana's.

Ron at CryoSet is a fast shipper. Sent the next AM, but I will have to wait awhile, Canada post is slooooow!

« Last Edit: 02/14/13 at 01:20:10 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 02/14/13 at 01:24:54

The 274B's move you up a few rows, that's for sure. Can't wait to see what you think Pale Rider. They seem to be a polarizing tube.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 02/14/13 at 02:15:55

Yes Ron is great to deal with. I buy a lot of tubes from him.

I hope you like the cryo'd JJs. I think they will fit the things that you finally heard in the other JJs even better, with all the good stuff a little better, unless you like the subtle distortions...I found the cryo more solid, more revealing, more easy-flow, blacker, etc....and I recall they burned in easier too!

I got some cryo'd valve art 274B from him right before you posted on the preferred ones. The cryo'd seem really good too.

« Last Edit: 02/14/13 at 02:17:23 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 02/14/13 at 05:38:24

He is indeed a fast shipper. Mine are already on the way, as are the Preferred 274B from The Tube Store.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 02/14/13 at 19:47:44

And today they are here! Props to Ron and the USPS both. I paid no extra for that speed. I also like the fact that the tube boxes are labeled with the matched measurement and a Cryoset sticker. Not my first order but I managed not to notice that before. All he needs now is a date code. I am finding tube inventory management a bit of a challenge for any tube I do not properly enter into my database. For those I miss, the thoughtfulness and thoroughness of the vendor goes a long way.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 02/15/13 at 12:02:43

All tubes, even NOS, need to be tested and culled to ensure quality.  ;)

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 02/15/13 at 14:44:40

Well sure, though many owners of tube electronics lack access to a good tube tester. I don't think anyone here suggested tubes should not be tested, and I don't think anyone suggested that NOS tubes were somehow less in need of such testing. I know that's not my viewpoint.

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 02/15/13 at 16:56:13

Better vendors like Jim McShane, Upscale Audio and others test, match and burn in tubes for 24 hours or so and and cull the rejects. This applies to NOS as well as new production. Yes, there were QC issues in the past. Tubes were in everything and they were mass produced. Not all circuits required rigorously tested tubes.  The 'best' Amperex 7316's were pulls that came from, or were intended for, industrial equipment and were carefully tested before they were installed. Many are labeled HP etc.

No reflection on Decware because the source of the Treasure tubes may have been issue.

Ron's cryo tubes are tested. They are worth the extra few $$$.

« Last Edit: 02/15/13 at 17:01:18 by Les Lammers »  
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 02/15/13 at 17:59:29

Can't speak to the Decware Treasures issue, as I bought matched and tested quads from Grant Fidelity and have had very good experience with mine. As said before, better that Decware not be in the exotic tube business.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 02/15/13 at 20:07:49

The Preferred 274B tubes arrived today from the Tube Store. Very quick ship from Canada. Looking forward to trying them out. And here I was wondering what I was going to do this weekend.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #27 - 02/15/13 at 20:11:27

Just in time for the weekend! Smiley  I ordered a quad of cryo'd JJ 6CA7s and cryo'd Valve Art 274B from cryoset yesterday; I've not heard the cryo'd version of either and I think it's time. I have the advantage of my Torii Mk II in my other system, I can drop them in there for a while and then experience them in the Torii Mk III a bit broken in.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 02/15/13 at 21:23:32

My plan, too, Lon, though one of my two Toriis is actually headed back to the shop. Like my Ultra, it seems to have experienced a transformer failure. Steve suspects a poltergeist, or perhaps more mundanely, an electrical issue. I naturally accused the ex-wife. For such things are lifetime warranties made.

Will be interested in your take on the cryo-ed Valve Art 274B. I personally like the idea of finding quality current production tubes that meet my needs and are not priced in the stratosphere. Chasing NOS is moderately entertaining, for a few nanoseconds anyway, and the exotics, even when audibly better, are [at least, for me] difficult to justify over the long haul.

« Last Edit: 02/15/13 at 21:55:41 by Pale Rider »  

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 02/28/13 at 14:50:26

Never tried the treasures but I have really been enjoying the black psvane 6ca7t's. They are my fav's compared to jj's (non cryo'd)and reissued cryo'd mullards (only 75 or so hrs. in and they did not sound good for the first 10-15 hrs.) keep getting better the more I play them.  Deeper soundstage and the instruments seem to resonate as they would in a live acoustic setting especially string instruments.  
JD

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print