COMING SOON (Read 9879 times)
stone_of_tone
Seasoned Member

Listen Often/Listen
Deep

Re: COMING SOON
Reply #15 - 09/13/12 at 16:12:28

Thanks Lon, I look forward to going.

I hear you on the Mono's. All I will ever be able to do is kick the tires on those. However, the glass is more than half full with my SE84CS and I bet with Steve's new creation SuperZen with my love of Svetlana original SV83's, the EV and EL84 tubes.

I am not surprised Steve and team wanted to apply their talents to cost no object and wring more fidelity out against the hierarchy out there!

Lord Soth, that is one big first watt!   -Stone

Sony as Transport
Illuminati D-60
Audio Alchemy DTI-Pro
Audio Magic Mystic Reference I2S
Audio Alchemy DDE 3.0
Kimber Select 1030
Zen Select #76
Kimber Select 3033
Polk Audio LS-90
Tri-config/TipToes & Vibropods underneath Speakers
360 degree Rm Treats
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #16 - 09/13/12 at 18:19:34

Lon,  I understand your feelings, as this business was started for the "sincere but broke audiophiles" of the world and targeted at low power high efficiency designs because that's what sounds best.

It still is.

The Torii Mono's are the highest power amplifier I can ever see us building, because to go beyond is

A) unnecessary - if 60 watts won't do it...  and
B) requires paralleled output tubes that make transparency problematic.  

I would have had no interest in making these if they didn't sound as good as our other amplifiers.  Put another way, I'm as far away from selling out as a man can get.  

That said, there is no new direction of higher power amplifiers for Decware or the end of an era, just the inevitable evolution of the Zen TORII design into Monoblocks.

I just want to bring musical pleasure to more people.  The number of audiophiles who don't give Decware a second thought because of it's low power or low price are in fact the majority.  This amp is hopefully the bridge that will bring them over to the Decware sound.  It has enough power to work with their present speakers. Many, after getting familiar with Decware, will be willing to explore higher efficiency, simpler speaker designs. This would set the stage to be able to enjoy our fine stable of low power amplifiers as well.  

So you see, rather than  building bigger more expensive amplifiers as the next phase of Decware, I am  in fact using this one amplifier as a tool to draw more people into our current product line.  The new SuperZen confirms it.

Thank's for "coming out and saying it" because I'm sure many people were having the same thought!

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #17 - 09/13/12 at 18:47:34

Alright Steve, thanks for the information.

It still seems like an end of an era to me, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. The world can use a Super Torii, a Super Zen, a Super Preamp, etc. and it may be that Decware can deliver that to many. Inviting some of those new people may create a demand for it. I'm cool with it, I'm not against it. I'm just saddened by some changes, as I've had really sad changes in my life this century that color my looking forward and makes it hard for me to look back. Makes me want to hold onto the familiar now. Not necessarily healthy, just where I'm at at this time.

And I totally understand your need to move forward with design and improvement, even though I find it disconcerting to have an incredible amp and then read a few months later that the model has been improved by this and then that  and then that again. . . Smiley That's my problem, that I find myself tempted into thinking of the sonic possibilities right along with the announcements. Truth is that any amp I have had from you was so integrally sound and so rewarding that I lose nothing by ignoring the improvements. Which is probably the best compliment to you and your staff that can be made from a frequent customer.

I do see this as a new era, and I actually believe it started with the Ultra and then the review of the Torii by Tone Audio. A door is slowly opening, and it's for the best. A new chapter.

« Last Edit: 09/13/12 at 18:48:46 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 09/13/12 at 20:41:15

Steve, I was feeling similar to Lon.  Glad to hear the Tori Monos are not just a cynical "if you can't beat 'em join 'em" move.  I hope you get the attention you want and make a killing.

Do you plan on changing your marketing approach to facilitate this?  Exhibiting at RMAF and such, glossy ads and glowing reviews in the rags?

Also, does the Super Zen surpass the Select Monos, and if so, how so?

IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 09/13/12 at 21:26:02

As a new customer I read the forums and am dissapointed with myself that I never came across Decware before I was looking for the final component in a long upgrade, and not the beginning. Even then it took a long time following links before I came here. Now the ZP3 is a destined to be a cornerstone. I may be lucky in that I never hear other good set-ups, so trust my ears and so far so good with my  choices. Now I dont have to look further when considering new gear when the pocket says yes. But I digress. One thing that I`ve ponderd is; this is great, a steady production, class gear, hand made, point to point, lifetime gaurantees, excellent prices, steady upgrades,....and no moans. Quite a success. This new pair of monos is in a new league ( out of mine ) but you`ve got to look to the future when it comes to business. Somebodys had their thinking cap on...for a long time. If steve`s looking to draw in some customers  from the big amp market, why not? As a top designer how can you stop him painting another masterpiece ? It says limited production so I doubt it will mean price hikes and mass production all round. -Syd

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.BenzLP , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #20 - 09/14/12 at 00:46:51

Always remember, if a business isn't growing, it is dying.
It looks like Steve has the start of the problem that plagues Harley Davidson. How do you take care of a core market that is finite while still bringing in new customers that demand something new and exciting?
It looks to me like he has a pretty good plan, create some upmarket products while still updating his bread and butter products.
Steve seems like a pretty smart cookie.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #21 - 09/14/12 at 06:48:30

I appreciate everyone's comments and Lon, you're right, a new chapter.

Quote:
It says limited production so I doubt it will mean price hikes and mass production all round.

Syd, you're right about that.  Our production is purposely limited to what can be made
in this assembly room by four people.  It's the polar opposite of mass production.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #22 - 09/14/12 at 07:16:29

Quote:
Do you plan on changing your marketing approach to facilitate this?  Exhibiting at RMAF and such, glossy ads and glowing reviews in the rags?

Also, does the Super Zen surpass the Select Monos, and if so, how so?

Ski bum,

I really don't plan to change anything.  Glossy ads and shows take time and cost money that I would rather put into R&D.  I'll be sending a pair to Tone Audio for review but that's the only plans I really have for marketing it.

As for the Super Zen I believe it does - due mainly to the CKC mods.  More open sounding, more detailed, and more organic.  The CKC mods can be applied to the Select Mono's at which point the added headroom and blacker backgrounds of the Mono's would then tilt the scale back the other way.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #23 - 09/15/12 at 12:49:37

Shows and glossy ads in the rags are things of the past. The internet will do it for these. DECWARE reaches out to the carriage trade. It's about time.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
busterfree
Seasoned Member

Reply #24 - 09/24/12 at 07:51:47

Headphone option on super zen possible? Considered?

IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #25 - 09/25/12 at 04:44:58

Some pics of Serial #001 ~ Model SE84CKC  also known as SuperZen

« Last Edit: 09/25/12 at 04:49:14 by Steve Deckert »  
WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #26 - 09/25/12 at 04:45:29

WWW   IP Logged
Steve Deckert
Administrator

If the 1st watt
sucks why continue?

Reply #27 - 09/25/12 at 04:59:57

Headphone option - we make an external headphone jack that is available to plug into the binding posts for around a hundred bucks (obviously hi-quality).  Since using a headphone requires connecting both negative speaker jacks together, it's not something we wanted to do with speakers by installing a permanent jack inside the chassis...  This way the jack can be removed when headphones are not being used.  Of course the amp will drive any low impedance headphone with ease.

Steve

WWW   IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 09/25/12 at 10:54:43

That looks like wrinkly finish like a 1940's typewriter. What was wrong with the white box?

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
markv
Verified Member

Reply #29 - 09/25/12 at 13:19:30

Steve -

I like the textured finish.  I can see how fingerprints will not be a problem.  Do you have any specs available?  Now with the CKC announced, what are your plans for the SE84ZS?

Mark

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print