Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

CSP2+ arrived
08/21/12 at 22:31:38

Well, My CSP2+ (ordered May 30) arrived today, is set up and "burning in."

A beautiful machine. It's set up a bit clunky for my arrangement, the inputs are on the other side than they were on my CSP2 and my cables are almost not long enough, but they work, though they're closer to the power cord than I'd like unshielded cables to be.

I'm using my own tubes, not the ones shipped; supercryo'd 6N1P and this time an RCA 5U4GB (straight sided, not too tall). I was using an RCA 5Y3GT in the CSP2, which sounded better there than the 5U4GB type, but this machine ships with the latter and seems to like it.

Sound is what you get out of the box, a mix of greatness with a bit of wonkiness. I love being able to match the levels between the inputs somewhat; I lacked that in the CSP2. And it's such a pretty pretty machine, much better looking than my CSP2 which was built in the old black Select chassis. And this is my first Decware product with a stepped attenuator. . . nice. A bit more clarity it seems.

Listening to an Louis Armstrong lp right now and enjoying the moment. Ah, a new Decware product! Hopefully I'll be repeating this in three months with a new ZP3! Smiley

« Last Edit: 08/21/12 at 22:32:23 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Re: CSP2+ arrived
Reply #1 - 08/21/12 at 23:25:29

Glad it landed safely Lon! You're in for a lot of fun.

I have put my CSP2 back into the chain teamed up with the Torii and I am loving the results. Imaginary or not there for me seems to be an undeniable synergy that makes everything sound more right. I really like my other pre, and Artemis LA-1, also made right in the USA by a small company and a great sounding unit, but things sound so great right now with the CSP2 teaming up with a still breaking in but sounding lovely Torii that I'm gonna leave things be for the foreseeable future. Also just popped  some cryo'd SED Winged "C" EL34's  into the Torii. Really nice tube. Will listen for a while before doing a more direct comparison with the JJ 6CA7's but so far they sound great. Huge bass.

Congrats again!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #2 - 08/21/12 at 23:40:26

Just realized that Steve added a mono switch to this CSP2+ which I had asked about, but didn't hear back about. So thanks Steve! Nice feature.

Also put the RCA 5Y3GT back in, I think I prefer that sound, or perhaps I'm more used to it. Seemed less "Hifi" than the other tube.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 08/21/12 at 23:46:33

Hey Sam, yes the CSP2 and the Torii were a good combination for me too, excellent with my Denon DCD-A100 and my Rega and PS Audio GCPH analog front end. With the PS Audio Perfectwave Duo I actually prefer by a hair to just run that directly in and use the DAC Mk II's preamp capability; just a hair more natural and dynamic. The ideal set up for me would be a CSP2+ with three inputs, which is not possible. In that way I could run all three sources through the CSP2+ and run the DAC Mk II straight in as well and compare and contrast to my heart's delight. Smiley

Even though the CSP2+ is far from broken in I can already tell it will be a great preamp, bettering my CSP2 by a hair or so perhaps. Now the wait is on for the ZP3. . . and I should make another search again for a ZStand to match the one I have under the CSP2+.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 08/22/12 at 03:22:18

I find that playing LP's with the TORII I have to turn the volume all the way up. It is plenty loud after that. I might hook everything up to my CSP2+ to get that control you speak of. My phono stage puts out a low signal.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 08/22/12 at 04:24:10

Well, it's all about the phono preamp. Mine can actually drive the Torii directly to stupid volume levels, there's a lot of gain with very little noise in those PS Audio "Gain Cells". . . . I use the Torii turned all the way up and control volume with the preamps. . . for most sources the Perfectwave DAC MkII is on about 70 percent, the CSP2 or 2+ at about 60 (with the output gain about 70 percent, and the phono preamp is at about 70 percent of its gain. Gives great great sound. Not sure what to expect with the ZP3 but figure I'll have enough gain.

I've really been enjoying listening to vinyl, and finding some great vinyl to listen to cheaply; yesterday got in a shipment of 23 lps for which I paid a total of 54.04!

« Last Edit: 08/22/12 at 04:25:18 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #6 - 08/22/12 at 16:19:53

Hi Lon,

Congrats on your new CSP2+.

BTW, does your CSP2+ have the headphone output jack right in front?

When I first received my CSP2+, I hunted high and low for my headphone output jack.
Since the owner's manual and the online pictures (and other audio reviews) showed the headphone jack being somewhere at the back of the unit, I always had the impression that the headphone jack's location was fixed.

It took me a couple of minutes (& some temporary panic!) to realise that my headphone output jack had been relocated (thanks to Steve's initiative) and was right in front! LOL   Grin

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #7 - 08/22/12 at 16:24:58

Mine is in the back by the output jacks and the mono switch.

I don't plan to use it, I'm not a headphone guy, having worn my ears out with them in the late 'eighties when I used to record and mix bands I worked with.

I just tired of them and really don't like the "presentation"--it's speakers for me. As I don't use "portable audio" I don't have to use them for that either.

Thanks for the congratulations. I let this rest shut off all night and have been spinning records this morning and the sound is improving.

« Last Edit: 08/22/12 at 16:27:19 by Lon »  

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #8 - 08/23/12 at 11:31:01

Thanks to Lon, I have Super cryo 6N1P tubes on the way as well as a 50s RCA and Tung Sol 5y3 recifier tubes.  I have been using my CSP2+ with a 45 SE Triode amp feeding Tonian speakers and the combination has great synergy.  The only tube change was the rectifier (TAD 5ar4).  While the TAD rectifier has the creamy sound of a NOS Mullard, I suspect the 5Y3 complimented by the super cryo 6N1P tubes may be a better choice.

My speakers are ideal for jazz showing off the best of brass, woodwinds, guitars, piano, and drums that excel with a 45 SE amp. My vinyl rig sports a ZYX Artisan phono preamp which replaced a tube preamp.  The CSP2+ provides flexibility for adjusting gain when using LOMC cartridges.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 08/23/12 at 11:38:19

Well, I sincerely hope you love those tubes!

Yes, the CSP2+ really is wonderful with its gain adjusting capabilities!

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #10 - 08/23/12 at 12:13:42

tybee wrote on 08/23/12 at 11:31:01:
50s RCA and Tung Sol 5y3 recifier tubes.

It's too bad there isn't a manual for the CSP2+, what's online is the CSP2's manual. That states that the 5Y3 is the designated rectifier though you can use the others. Now the amp ships with a 5U4G (mine was a Valve Audio). I tried the 5U4G in my CSP2 and my CSP2+ and found it too warm and diffuse. . .I'll retry it in the new machine after breakin.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 08/23/12 at 15:47:04

Tybee what Tonian speakers are you using? I use Tonian DL-T1's with my Torii/CSP2 and love the combination.

IP Logged
tybee
Verified Member

Reply #12 - 08/23/12 at 22:34:44

I have the TL-D1s with 8" Fostex driver.  The Tonians reside in a highly accoustically treated listening room mounted atop spiked platforms.

My new cryo tubes arrived and are playing as I write this reply.  Out of the box, they sound very good. Bass sounds good for a new tube.  I await for some breakin before updating my impressions.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 08/23/12 at 23:32:22

Yes those are what I own as well. Posted too early this morning. I had mine on
spikes but I get better sound without, on a slate platform tilted back slightly. Great speakers.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 08/24/12 at 15:49:51

Well, the preamp has bloomed a little bit, with more break-in expected over the next few weeks. I did the five on/five off break-in Steve recommends, which always improves the sound for its initial transformation.

I started playing with rectifier tubes this morning. The well-seasoned RCA 5Y3GT I was using at first is a great tube for new components: polite and fast and forgiving on the top end. I was wrong in what Steve sent, he sent a Valve Art 274B and I'd never used that tube type before so I gave it a try. Biggest and boldest sound yet, not necessarily a bad thing, but I squirmed through a few hours because it was too forward for my tastes, and had that brittle leading edge (I use piano to gauge this) that I really don't like. Maybe that would "burn off" with use, but I just don't have the patience right now. I rolled two other 5Y3GTs: a GE and a Raytheon. Both were similar to the RCA with the Raytheon being slightly warmer and slower, not a bad thing with a new component. Then I popped in the trusty lonely RCA 5U4GB I have (all my other tubes of that type are in pairs) and that sounded better than it did Wednesday afternoon, big and bold (not as big and bold as the 274B) but with a touch of warmth. When the preamp is broken in this may be the best choice as I expect more bass to come in over time from the preamp. Then I tried a Sylvania that I have as part of a pair and it's slightly sweeter and warmer, a great match for the moment. If it proves to be a great match when this is broken in it's interesting to me that I have another matched one that I could try out in my ZP3 when it arrives, having the same rectifier tube may make a great pairing between these two components. As tube-rolling drives me slightly nuts (and as I couldn't bear to hear the "test tune" I used one more time!) I left the Sylvania in and settled in to just listening and enjoying myself.

Yesterday I swapped the MAC Silver Quad+ I had been using between the phono preamp and CSP2 and CSP2+ with one of my cryoset.com interconnects. Contrary to my impressions with the CSP2, I clearly preferred the MAC cable with the CSP2+, which is intriguing because with my digital front ends the opposite is true. Just one of the great things about this hobby, surprise and discovery and puzzling results. I'm glad I sprung for two of these MAC cables, they've proven to be the best cables I've gotten from them yet.

Well, I'm looking forward to a weekend of just enjoying vinyl and SACD, the two formats I have connected to the CSP2+. A great machine!

« Last Edit: 08/24/12 at 15:56:43 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print