Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
12/21/14 at 10:45:06

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Zen 84C EX: question about my New (to me) amp. (Read 1347 times)
Morganc

Zen 84C EX: question about my New (to me) amp.
07/23/12 at 04:03:01

I just picked up a used Zen 84C and have a few questions about it.  I changed out the tubes to NOS and am loving it right now Grin.

My amp says it was manufactured in 2005, serial number 608,  though when I opened the amp it has a date on a little block of wood of 2007 signed S.D. And I assume that is Steve Correct?  On the outside of the amp it says SE 84C EX (the EX is in a different color and I am assuming that Steve added it in 2007.).

I was going inside to see how many and what size caps I would need and there are many caps inside.  Two pairs that say 0.33 and a few others in a larger size.

The question I have is:
1. Should I just send this amp to Steve for the V Cap upgrade and the Hazen Grid Mod all together?  
2.  What does the EX lettering mean?  
3.  How close sonically is this unit to current production?  
4.  Any idea on cost for this level of upgrade with the Mod and the V Caps?

Thanks

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Zen 84C EX: question about my New (to me) amp.
Reply #1 - 07/23/12 at 04:20:34

This should answer your question about the EX specification:

http://www.decware.com/paper52.htm

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #2 - 07/23/12 at 06:49:40

So since I have 8 Ohm speakers with a crossover, albeit a small crossover, At 98 dB Sensivity, the EX mod would not be in my best interest correct?  

I have noticed in certain passages a bit of distortion at moderately high volumes, though not at the volume where clipping is occurring.  I'm assuming this is due to this mod?  I originally thought it was due to bad tubes as it has gotten a lot better with a change to different tubes....and may have disappeared all together.....hmmmmmmm

IP Logged
Kemper Holt
Verified Member

Reply #3 - 08/22/12 at 06:46:31

Morganc, Sorry to threadjack, but are you enjoying your Pendragon's?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print