Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/21/14 at 06:38:04

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
HelLo, and some questions... (Read 6016 times)
Mark
Seasoned Member

Re: Hello, and some questions...
Reply #15 - 06/13/12 at 18:50:32

OK... Good info on both posts... Thanks... My trigger finger is getting itchy, folks... Although considering the wait, it really is deferring the satisfaction... Too bad they don't have a loaner program...   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/13/12 at 20:23:26

Hi mark, I`ve just had my shipment notification. I went through paypal and they didn`t ask for payment untill my units were built and tested.  Slight glitch, I had to wait a week to `verify` my account with paypal so as to bypass spending limits.  Wow, the ZP3 & ZMC-1 phono set-up + p/chord & silver i/connect are winging their way to me as I type.

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.Benz LP s , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/13/12 at 21:29:04

Good to know... In one respect, I kinda wish they'd take the money out of my account right away when I order, so I wouldn't constantly have to earmark that amount... My Pay Pal account is tied in with my bank account... But it really doesn't matter one way or the other... Although getting in an early order would be nice...  It's just that I'm not very used to purchasing something without the money being there first...

I'll mull the issue over tonight...   (m.)

If a rabbit defined intelligence the way man does, then the most intelligent animal would be a rabbit, followed by the animal most willing to obey the commands of a rabbit. -Robert Brault, writer (b. 1938)
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/13/12 at 23:15:47

The little ZEN amp is a treasure. The rule has been to get one and try it with your current speakers. Chances are it will knock the socks off your current amp. In time, you may wish to explore different speakers, when your audio budget allows. On the other hand, you may be very satisfied with your current setup with the ZEN in place.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #19 - 06/13/12 at 23:51:45

Hello: I'm pretty much a set-it-up-and-then-leave-it kind of guy... Once I get a system sounding good to my ears, I'm pretty much off buying program material after that...

I want to relate something here: Being on a tight budget, I got my entre' into SET amps via Chinese tube gear-- and I want to tell you that my first amp, a Music Angel X-3, sounded superb to my ears... The only thing was that it was a very [very] poor build quality... The power switch fell out of the oversized knock-out... One RCA jack ground shroud actually came out with the plug!... One channel was down about 3db from the other until I found some trim pots inside for balancing... But the thing sounded like music...

My second SET is the one I have now... The Musical Paradise MP 301MK II... It's well built, but doesn't sound quite as good as the Music Angel to my ears... And my ears are used to live music mostly... Or recording live music, and listening through the mic preamps with headphones... That's about as real as it gets...

Back to Decware: If recording musicians like this stuff, then it just has to be good, IMO...  That's a very demanding litmus test, really...  The only issue is something that I never really came up against before, and that is the power equation... But I think the Zen will do it for me, and I'm willing to take a chance on it...   (m.)

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/14/12 at 01:37:47

OK, folks... I did the dirty deed... I just ordered the Zen with my CC... The order page said that there would be no charge until the amp shipped... The same page did say that a PayPal sale would charge out right away, just for info's sake...

I would like to thank you all for your help... Best regards, Mark. ps: Any more comments here would be welcome...

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #21 - 06/14/12 at 01:40:36

Congrats. I think you're going to enjoy the amp. . . perhaps not the wait. Smiley (I'm in the same boat, waiting on a CSP2+ as well as waiting a repair on a CSP2.)

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #22 - 06/14/12 at 02:34:21

Thanks, Lon... My audio intuition tells me that this will be a winner... Yes, and now the wait... Maybe I can print up a pic of the amp and put it over my current amp... Yea, that might work...  ;)   (m.)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 06/14/12 at 03:17:49

Ah, that was a good one, made me LOL!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #24 - 06/14/12 at 13:17:36

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the club!  :)

You can get status updates over here

http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1308588670/0

Cheers!

Lord Soth

IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/14/12 at 16:01:08

I do want to add some info here as to why I'm going for a small-box SET amp: The whole system was supposed to be a table-top mini sort of system for reference use... My apt. in town ( I also have a cabin) is very small, and I needed to stick the whole affair in a place where it would work, and not get in the way...

The other criteria was that the whole system, including I/C's and cabling would cost no more than $1000.00... ( the Zen will take it well over this mark)...

BTW, here is the concept:  

So, the Zen fits nicely into this format... The only issue was the speaker / amp interface... And yes, I know the speakers could be better placed, but my space requirements [here and now] just won't allow it... But I think the Zen will be perfect for my needs here...

I need to throw a CD in, and just play and enjoy it at moderate volume levels... (m.)

IP Logged
Douger
Verified Member

Reply #26 - 06/16/12 at 22:14:34

Welcome to Decware. I just got my Torii Mk III and am delighted.
Steve designs amps very conservatively and I would be surprised if yours does not outperform both of the amps you have mentioned... Mine is certainly worth the wait!

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/16/12 at 23:33:42

Nice little setup. In the future you may wish to consider selling the old amp and speakers and buying a pair of TRAPEZIUM desktop speakers. They truly outperform any bookshelf type speaker and give full rangers a run for their money.

Get the ZEN first and see how it does. I am sure it will do great in your setup. Then plan for the future.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Mark
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/17/12 at 01:30:27

Right... I'm leaving everything as is until I try the Zen... Then about a month's evaluation and break-in... I think the pairing will work out OK; but in the event that it doesn't, I've decided to keep the Zen, and go in for these:  http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/full-range-speaker-kits/fostex-bk-12m-folde...  (no affiliation)

They are only 7" wide, 14" deep, and 31" high... I'll have to get a lower shelf unit... I found something ideal, here: http://www.thesimpletvstandstore.com/p-20687-simply-modern-43-wide-tribeca-metal... (no affiliation)

...which will still put the drivers at ear level when I'm sitting, and still allow me to mount the speakers on the top, which is more than rated (weight-wise) for both speakers (30lbs x 2) and the Zen amp... The other rather constricting criterion was that the width of the whole shelf unit can't be more than 46"... But the aforementioned unit is within that size range...

Of course, the speakers will be firing (straight) forward only... And that is why I'm opting for a rear horn loaded / totally front-firing arrangement... The speakers are still deep enough to put the driver(s) out from the wall enough... They do end up quite close together, but the scale of the seperation is close enough to be good if I am about 8 ft away from them... (m.)

« Last Edit: 06/17/12 at 01:38:02 by Mark »  

IP Logged
clowkoy

Reply #29 - 06/17/12 at 12:35:23

Too bad you've already ordered. I'm selling my 5-month old Zen. I'm jumping over the Bottlehead fence.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print