Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/28/14 at 16:15:59

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print
3 or 4 Isocups under the Torii? (Read 14628 times)
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

3 or 4 Isocups under the Torii?
05/28/12 at 02:22:48

Thanks to Lon, I ordered a set of Isocups with high end bases and lampblack balls for the Torii. I got four so I can experiment between 3 and 4. Next up, I will order herbies tube dampers!

« Last Edit: 05/28/12 at 04:25:07 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: 3 or 4 Isocups under the Torii?
Reply #1 - 05/28/12 at 02:28:06

Alright!  Be sure to let us know your impressions.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #2 - 05/28/12 at 02:45:41

I started with 3 and ended up with 4 finding improvement with the extra damping. Placement really makes a big difference with mine.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #3 - 05/28/12 at 03:35:24

Likewise I had started out with three, but by the time my Toriis hit the house I'd moved to four. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #4 - 05/31/12 at 03:31:04

Received the iso-cups today. Experimenting with placement tonight.  :)

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #5 - 05/31/12 at 03:33:42

Cool!

I think for me they work best as close to the four corners as I can get them.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #6 - 05/31/12 at 04:53:08

Sometimes I like mine best near the edges, but most times, I find the what seems the best vibration management, in my setting, something like this:

the back pair in the gap between the wood frame and the base inset and in from the corners... pretty close to under the treble knobs. This is sort of between the weight of the transformers and chokes.

On the front, right now I get the most from having them almost exactly under the front power tubes...just a little toward the input tubes.

This setting seems to give me what i think of as good tube sound, unimpaired by vibration...deep/tight real sounding bass, rich textural mids, and smooth highs.

I guess it depends on tastes, but really it may have more to do with how our individual amps vibrate in our environments. Getting the vibration out of the equation seems to me to equal the beauty sound with no holes in the presentation spectrum.

« Last Edit: 05/31/12 at 07:25:45 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/31/12 at 05:10:48

That's interesting, I played with the front ones all night, and settled on having them right under the front power tubes! Then I came on and saw your post, freaky!!!!

The rear ones are more subtle. I started with them near the corners, and now have them under the rear outward corner of the transformers.

« Last Edit: 05/31/12 at 05:38:09 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/31/12 at 07:30:24

Interesting, this is a place where my back ones have been a lot too...Under the outer/back corner of the transformers! Will check it out tomorrow.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #9 - 05/31/12 at 12:53:40

Interesting. I have tried those locations and I get the widest, cleanest sound at the corners (but inside a bit as I can't quite get them right on the corners). I think it's quite true that the environment of the amp is an influence. I have mine on top a 4" maple platform! On the top shelf of a Mapleshade Samson rack.

Fun to play around with these.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #10 - 05/31/12 at 19:11:37

You guys are killing me. Wink

I don't know whether to be happy I cannot tell a difference in these locations, or to believe that in my setup there is no difference, or whether I was just too happy with morning latté and music. In any case, I use 4 just inside at a 45-degree angle from each of the feet on the amps and Ultra. I can easily discern not having the IsoCups, but am unable to discern any difference on the positional changes.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #11 - 05/31/12 at 19:40:13

The ZStand is doing all the heavy lifting Greg, so the Iso Cups work wherever they are. There. See how easy it is to explain? Smiley

IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #12 - 05/31/12 at 19:43:16

I agree, very subtle differences but I also have a good stand, solid maple with a three inch top shelf and brass coned to the floor.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #13 - 05/31/12 at 20:39:00

Lon, LOL, I love that explanation! So, my IsoCups are are just cognitive decor. I am good with that.

Speaking of the racks, I just ordered a short ZRACK at 32 inches to complement my two taller ones. I plan to put it in the middle, and have it hold some of the smaller components that are pushing the capacity limits of the taller racks. [orangecrush, I have no doubt your stands are great, but my post and, I suspect, Lon's reply, were written with some humor.]

« Last Edit: 05/31/12 at 20:41:08 by Pale Rider »  

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #14 - 05/31/12 at 20:51:30

Yes, they were written with humor indeed!

They do make a difference, the differences I found in placement were not too extreme.

I wonder what they are like under a turntable. Maybe I'll find out soon. I'm treating myself to a vinyl set up . . . should be up and running next week.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 8
Send Topic Print