Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/17/14 at 11:03:12

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
3 or 4 Isocups under the Torii? (Read 12543 times)
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Re: 3 or 4 Isocups under the Torii?
Reply #15 - 05/31/12 at 21:00:29

I got the humor Grin

I do think though, that a good stand lessons the impact of the Isocups.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 05/31/12 at 22:10:41

Vinyl??!! Lon you devil. Tell us more. I thought you were done with it from your previous protestations.

IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 05/31/12 at 22:26:20

Lon, if you have posted it elsewhere, regrets for missing it, but what vinyl rig are you getting?

It also occurred to me that, since I already have Herbie's UltraSonic Rx and HAL-O III tube dampers installed, I could easily be past my point of discernible diminishing returns.

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Pale Rider
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 05/31/12 at 22:28:07

orangecrush wrote:

Quote:
I do think though, that a good stand lessens the impact of the Isocups.

No doubt. In that respect, I am extremely pleased with the ZRACKs that Bob built for me

Decware: Ultra | Torii MKIII [2] | SE84ZS | Taboo MkIII Sources: Synology 1812+ | Baetis Revolution | PWD DAC MKII | Lumin Network Player | Mytek 192 | Oppo 105 DSP: DEQX Mate | Emotiva Outputs: ERR [6] + Servo Subs | LCD-2 & other cans
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 05/31/12 at 22:57:05

Greg, with the Iso Cups, the ZStand, the Herbie tube dampers. . .you're covered!

I didn't mention it actually. Last month a friend asked me to get him back in the vinyl game. He gave me a reasonable budget and I did some research, found some great gear, and I got him set up over the last few weeks. And it sounds damned good. So I decided to do the same for myself: a Rega RP3 with Elys cartridge and TT PSU, and a PS Audio GCPH preamp. I've got the stuff on order and it will start trickling in. Took all my LPS (about 500) out of spare room storage and got them out in the living room and dining room ready to roll. Looking forward to it.

« Last Edit: 05/31/12 at 23:02:57 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #20 - 05/31/12 at 23:02:15

sberger wrote on 05/31/12 at 22:10:41:
Vinyl??!! Lon you devil. Tell us more. I thought you were done with it from your previous protestations.

Yes Sam. My big problem with it before was I couldn't find all the music I wanted on vinyl in this town and/or at reasonable prices. So much was coming out on cd and I went that route, and then I got to trading with musicians and collectors for things on cd that were never released, private recordings, etc. and rare 78s and lps on cdr, etc. and Now I have so much music on digital and one helluva rig to play it on. As I mentioned above I helped a friend get back into vinyl the last few weeks--he has lots of Mosaic sets on vinyl, and some really great stuff, but has been mainly cd for some time as he replaced a Tandberg receiver he had been using since '78 with a Peachtree Audio integrated amp I sold him, and he missed the lps. Got me the hankering, I got paid back some money I had loaned out to a friend, and turned around and spent it.

Shouldn't have, but I did. Looking forward to going through my old records (a lot of which I haven't bought on cd) and acquiring some new ones, like those mono Miles lps scheduled for the fall. . . .

I'm worried just a little bit I'll be a bit unhappy with digital now, but I think I'll weather that storm. It took me a long time to get digital right and enjoy it.

« Last Edit: 05/31/12 at 23:18:52 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #21 - 06/01/12 at 00:27:46

That's great!! A music lover like yourself deserves not to be limited by format, if possible. You'll still use and love your digital rig although I suspect that when the vinyl rig gets put together just the newness alone will have you ignore your other set up for awhile. But while I'm vinyl first I wouldn't give up the enjoyment, variety and simplicity that my digital rig, whether cd, sacd, or streaming, brings me.

Enjoy!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #22 - 06/01/12 at 02:20:12

Well Lon, I'm as perplexed as the other guys to learn about your 'revolution'  :), good for you!  Did you consider a single preamp to tackle both duties instead of having the new CSP2+ and the additional preamp?  Just curious ... Enjoy it!

« Last Edit: 06/01/12 at 02:23:42 by Fireblade »  

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #23 - 06/01/12 at 04:13:53

sberger wrote on 06/01/12 at 00:27:46:
That's great!! A music lover like yourself deserves not to be limited by format, if possible. You'll still use and love your digital rig although I suspect that when the vinyl rig gets put together just the newness alone will have you ignore your other set up for awhile. But while I'm vinyl first I wouldn't give up the enjoyment, variety and simplicity that my digital rig, whether cd, sacd, or streaming, brings me.

Enjoy!

Believe me I'll use my digital rig. I'm one of those weird guys who has an audio/visual system, and I'll be using the DVR and the Blu-ray player every day, as well as the Redbook and SACD, I know I will. But it will be fun to revisit my vinyl again, and buy some new as well.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #24 - 06/01/12 at 04:17:49

Fireblade wrote on 06/01/12 at 02:20:12:
Well Lon, I'm as perplexed as the other guys to learn about your 'revolution'  :), good for you!  Did you consider a single preamp to tackle both duties instead of having the new CSP2+ and the additional preamp?  Just curious ... Enjoy it!

Oh definitely, I looked around and honestly I didn't see anything new that I really trusted to be what I wanted and didn't want to go through a lot of trial and error. I know the CSP2+ as I've had my CSP2 for so long, it's exactly the preamp I want with its adjustable input and output gain and its Decware build and sound. And I have experience with the PS Audio phono preamp, it's a fantastic and versatile preamp that sounds amazing, so the combo just seemed to promise better sound and reliability for me than any other possible ones I could afford.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/01/12 at 06:44:01

Quote:
That's interesting, I played with the front ones all night, and settled on having them right under the front power tubes! Then I came on and saw your post, freaky!!!!

The rear ones are more subtle. I started with them near the corners, and now have them under the rear outward corner of the transformers.

I am right with you orangecrush. Though I have used both the front and rear positions before, I think this is the first for the combination. I had to turn down the trebles a bit, and up the bass a hair, but I really like it!

Thanks for the tip!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
orangecrush
Seasoned Member

Reply #26 - 06/01/12 at 07:42:36

That's cool Will. Tonight, after another session, I am now sure my soundstage has widened and there is more air or space between instruments.

What are you using under your Tranquility Dac?

« Last Edit: 06/01/12 at 07:43:40 by orangecrush »  
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #27 - 06/01/12 at 11:59:58

When you gents say "transformers" Are you talking about the smallest transformers or the larger ones closest to the right and left sides? I've moved the front to where you have them and the rear to the larger transformers. Interesting. A bit "tarter." I don't have bass controls, so I generally tune to the best bass, and I'm not sure it's here. But I need things to settle a bit to be sure.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 06/01/12 at 14:33:48

For me it is the back, outside ones, and a little back from he back outside corners. Are these chokes?  In front I am a little toward the inputs but mostly under the front power tubes. I have not done extensive listening with this position, but first impressions are very good. I would not call it tart on mine, but can get the thought. The sound is quite spacious, with great ambient information, near and far...less smoothed together, and the bass is quite tight, but rich and deep. I find the mids articulate but also rich, and the dynamics are exceptional. I can't really tell improvement on sound stage as my sound stage is sort of off the top anyway, but the black is a little blacker.

Under the Tranquility, I have tried Herbie's tenderfeet, which I liked under the ZDAC, but too soft/organic for the Tranquility. I prefer harder. I tried some carbon cones from Music Direct and they were pretty good, some Synergistic Research MiGs, nice in ways, but a little hard...I ended up with hardwood feet with points from partsconnexion. LIHUA Wood Isolation Foot. Whenever I mess around with what I have, I get back to these. Articulate but organic. I really like them.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have the Tranquility on top of my ZDAC due to space constraints, and the ZDAC is on Herbie's tenderfeet, no doubt having some effect on the Tranquility.

« Last Edit: 06/01/12 at 14:37:33 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #29 - 06/01/12 at 14:55:05

Thanks will. I had the back IsoCups under the furthest back transformers/chokes for a spell and though that was very spacious and dynamic, the bass suffered. The balance was too trebly, and "tart" seemed the right word.

I've now put the back ones about the same position as the ones on the front, in line with the back edge of the side transformers and about an inch and a half in from the edge, and yes, better bass, still very dynamic and spacious. My previous preferred positioning was actually with a different source and different cabling so it was time to experiment. With the IsoCups nearest the corners I get a very classic tube sound, rich and with bloom. Nice but this is a nice change.

I've changed my lampblack "balls" to the old acrylic ones. To my ears these are the most neutral and "quick" with the frosted clear bases.

« Last Edit: 06/01/12 at 15:33:51 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print