Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/23/14 at 12:28:59

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Mini-Torii/DM945's to be picked up early tomorrow! (Read 8720 times)
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Mini-Torii/DM945's to be picked up early tomorrow!
05/18/12 at 01:17:02

So, I'll be setting these up, finally, exactly 4 months today since we ordered it.  I have the 'Esoteric Isotek Full System Enhancer Disc,' to accelerate the break-in period. I plan to follow Steve's suggestion on the [5 hrs on/5 hrs off] listening intervals, as part of this settling process.  

I don't know what to expect, frankly.  It's all going to be new for me, including the compounded breaking-in experience on both the DM945's and the Mini, which may not be the most comfortable situation.  I also need to properly blend my sub-woofer in that combo so as not to upset the sound balance.  Lots of speaker positioning trial-and-error may be part of the deal, too.

In the next few days I'll report my first impressions  8-)

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Mini-Torii/DM945's to be picked up early tomor
Reply #1 - 05/18/12 at 01:22:24

You are going to have a ton of fun and some good listening. Don't let the breakin scare you, you'll have some shifting sonic moments, but still be listening to excellent gear coming into its own. Congratulations!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Mini-Torii/DM945's to be picked up early tomorrow!
Reply #2 - 05/18/12 at 02:27:02

Thanks, Lon.  I'm not really worried, just considering the facts. For example, how are my current sourcing and cables going to hold up to more revealing gear.  The good news is, I'm prepared with plenty of well recorded music of my liking to tackle the gear early on  ;)

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #3 - 05/18/12 at 18:22:53

I plan to follow Steve's suggestion on the [5 hrs on/5 hrs off] listening intervals

Good luck!  You're going to be too wrapped up exploring your music collection to pay too much attention to that.  You're in for a real treat!

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #4 - 05/18/12 at 18:39:19

Hey ski,

I think you're probably right, now that I think about it.  I may as well put the Esoteric Disc at night and 'play' during most of the day   Wink.

BTW, I need to know asap if, when facing the amp, all the different switches are ON towards me or facing away from me?  The amp came with all those switches facing away when looking to the front of the amp.

Thanks for your support!

P.S.  I'm about 90% done with the setting up  :D

« Last Edit: 05/18/12 at 18:42:12 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #5 - 05/18/12 at 21:58:01

FB,

Enjoy it and I know you will let us know how it progresses.

FB

IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Re: Mini-Torii/DM945's home at last!
Reply #6 - 05/19/12 at 00:30:30

Hey Florida Boy,

Thanks!  Indeed, I'm really enjoying it.  Already listened for 3 hours in a row.  Had to stop for errands.  First impressions:

Wow!  Every epitet I had read here, used to describe it, is for real.  Although evidently not broken-in (there are evident traces of constipation in the higher registers), I'm impressed by the midrange transparency and the dynamic/vivid and musical lower registers.  The bass has surprised me as it conveys a tightness that clearly discloses the different tones involved.  I used to hear a mix of unclear bass tones before.

Talking about bass, when I first plugged in my sub-woofer, a horrendous humming came through.  Fortunately, the amp's volume was off.  Puzzled, I then remembered a thread I read here about inverted pre-amp output phases.  Hesitantly, I reversed these, and the humming almost dissapeared.  Then, I used my sub-woofer's de-phaser and tried 180 de-phasing, much better.  Finally, I lowered the set sub-woofer volume, and voilá, great (not unsettling) bass, without any humming.

I'll be waiting for the higher registers to improve.  As a matter of fact, initially these were quite bright and harsh.  But after an hour and a half, or so, the brightness/harshness went gradually away.  Now it just  doesn't perform the higher registers as it would be expected from this amp, but there's no more harshness.  It is simply a bit crude (somewhat undefined) and lacking incisiveness up there yet.

I'm sure this is part of the compounded breaking-in (amp and speakers, power cord too).  The output tube is a JJ 6V6 S, same brand as the rectifiers (EZ-81).  The other tubes came in white boxes with only the spec number written outside.  There may be something printed in the glass but I have not identified them yet.

Volume wise, the max I kept it at was 1:00 o'clock (required to get the normal volume I need with some selections), in spite of the fact that presumably my DAC's output is max 2.25 Vs.  I guess when you need to go that high, the source signal voltage gain is not that high.  For most other music, the volume setting was enough at around 11:30 or so.

Well, so far so good.  Can't wait for that high register to complement the beautiful midrange and mid-lower registers.  I also still expect further improvements in the lower bass.  I'll keep you guys posted.  Now I need to listen to ....   Cheesy

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #7 - 05/19/12 at 11:49:25

Where are you, Fire? Lost in and loving your new setup, I imagine.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #8 - 05/19/12 at 13:23:03

Hey Rivieraranch,

Yes, I'm all over it!  Amazing stuff.  I hear you're getting your Triode Integrated anytime now?  Let us know how it goes.  Congrats!

IP Logged
ski bum
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/19/12 at 16:51:03

I'll be waiting for the higher registers to improve.  As a matter of fact, initially these were quite bright and harsh.  But after an hour and a half, or so, the brightness/harshness went gradually away.  Now it just  doesn't perform the higher registers as it would be expected from this amp, but there's no more harshness.  It is simply a bit crude (somewhat undefined) and lacking incisiveness up there yet.

It's likely not the amp.  I suspect what you are hearing may be due to the wider dispersion of the tweeter relative to the woofer, which is kind of unavoidable given the driver complement and flush mounting.  Factor that polar behavior into your placement/toe-in/positioning and room decor/treatment decisions.  You should be able to tame it.

Does your MT have the treble control?   

« Last Edit: 05/19/12 at 17:29:58 by ski bum »  
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #10 - 05/19/12 at 21:26:43

I hear you.  I'm working on it.  Earlier, I thought it could be the breaking-in of the speakers and their new capacitors?  Right now I have the speakers tilted back, one inch higher at the front and toed-in, pointing towards my sweetspot.  Mind you, the low and midrange are very good, I just need to focus a little bit the higher registers, either by re-positioning the speakers, room conditioning or by waiting for the speakers to loosen up over time (if it's the case.)

As far as room conditioning, I have a floor carpet and drapers on the back and one side of my listening position.  On the other side there is a naked wall so I may need something there.  There are leather sofas in the room, so I suspect the only source of high-frequency reflection may come from that wall or the ceiling?  Yet, the ceiling is quite far from the presumed high frequency dispersion path, again directed at my sweet spot.

My M-T does have a tone control.  Have not used it yet (I have it off).  I don't think I want to cut higher frequencies, just focus them right.  The sound is not harsh or too bright anymore, just not finished.  

Thanks for the tip, ski.

« Last Edit: 05/19/12 at 21:30:52 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #11 - 05/19/12 at 21:27:28

Fireblade,
I wonder if you are finding the limitations of your DAC? Are you able to adjust any of the upsampling filtering? My Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 alows me to play around with the filtering to change the sound's signature. My ZDAC-1 doesn't have that option, but it didn't need it. Also make sure that your Foobar is set up correctly, I messed around for a day getting my JRiver player correctly configured, there are so many ways to get off of track when you fall under the spell of computer audio.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #12 - 05/19/12 at 21:40:37

Donnie,

I have a decent sounding DAC.  Although it could be improved, I feel It should not be the issue here.  It works well in all other frequency ranges. What I find is a non-continuity of the marvels I hear at mid and early high frequencies when music goes to the really high registers, as if something was not working completely on that range.  These differences are somewhat subtle, but I can hear them.

Foobar and my laptop have been optimized/adjusted for months (waiting for the gear), and now I think I know almost any trick about them.  Although the sourcing may still be the problem, I want to eliminate other possible causes before I decide I need to invest in a new DAC.  

Mine is an asynchronous USB/DAC, and does not offer upsampling alternatives, but I've found pre-converting the files to proper specs (into WAV) makes a lot of difference with the DAC:  44K1, & 96K, depending on the original recording and always using the 24-bit word size (from 16 to 24 is just ceros).  

Thanks for your support.

« Last Edit: 05/19/12 at 21:49:31 by Fireblade »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: Mini-Torii/DM945's to be picked up early tomor
Reply #13 - 05/19/12 at 21:46:58

I think it's possible you are hearing more high frequency energy than ever before because of the amp, speakers and cabling. I would play with that treble cut circuit. I find it a lifesaver myself.

Things are still busy working in and breaking in. Took about a month in the case of my amps and speakers. Once broken in, I definitely had to use the treble circuit. My Torii and ERRs are so revealing I eventually went on a search for a great source. I thought I had a sufficient one but. . . well I was wrong.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #14 - 05/19/12 at 21:56:24

I hear you, Lon.  Do you still use that tone filter with the new source?  Reason I ask is to make sure that would solve this (relatively minor) problem for me before I decide on a new USB/DAC.  

I still think it's to early to tell.  I think I'll wait for the break-in to be over and then re-assess the issue.  In the meantime, I'm really enjoying everything else.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print