Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/15 at 01:50:57

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 On Waiting List (Read 20504 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: SE34I.3 On Waiting List
Reply #75 - 02/15/14 at 13:20:51

Yes, if I win the Lottery I'd buy the ZMA. . . and the Monos. . .and I'd probably have three or four systems, maybe even a dedicated home theater with Monos and ERRs!

Note to self: buy a few Lottery tickets. Smiley

My mind was spinning with all the favorable posts regarding the ZMA and I considered selling a lot of stereo and musical stuff and getting one and maybe the Ultra preamp to accomodate all my sources. But that's a huge expense, and I'm really so happy with my CSP2+ with Beeswax caps into my Torii Mk III with Beeswax caps. The clincher is that the ZMA doesn't come with a treble cut circuit. Steve says he probably could add one but didn't seem too enthused and that would be cost added too. I can't live without a treble cut circuit on my Decware amps. Steve likes things sunnier than i do and this is the only way I can get the best of my Redbook material (90 percent of my music listening).

In some ways I was incredibly happy with my Integrated (pre-Rachel) with its lovely tone and its slightly forgiving nature. With the treble cut circuit (first amp I had that in) it was a real workhouse that brought me many hours of pleasure. It didn't have the jeuvos to fill up my then big listening room, but it was such a wonderful sounding amp. I'll always reminisce fondly about that little devil!

« Last Edit: 02/15/14 at 13:21:29 by Lon »  

Decware:HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III;PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,P5,AC-12 pcs;Denon DVD-A1UDCI Rega RP3,TTPSU,white belt+Exact2;VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius Cremona, UltraLinear ICs, Iso-Pods;Mapleshade:Dble Heiix Plus,Samson v2+3 +4" pltfrms;Herbie's Iso-Cups;Opp PM-1
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #76 - 02/15/14 at 16:32:44

I still need to spend some time with the Torii mk III to see what the ZMA adds above that amp. MkIIIs are selling for a very good price these days.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Adirvana+, Chord QuteHD with LPSU, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, Torii MKIII, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #77 - 02/18/14 at 20:45:14

The amp is well worth the wait even though it never seems fast enough in the waiting list. I have about 150 hours on it and installed some vintage ( circa 1957) mullard el-34 tubes a couple of vintage 6dj8 amperex made in Holland and a 1957 mullard metal base 5ar4 . I was using a mullard fat base 5ar4 until then . The amp sounded fine as it was I just have a fondness for old tubes. It is a incredible amp to be sure. I sold my 2 watt decware amp in favor of six watts and found this amp matched with my Decware HDT speakers a little better mix with the added bonus of a little more power and volume. enjoy enjoy enjoy

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #78 - 02/18/14 at 23:16:54

Raymond...I'm intrigued.  I have been considering this amp for my HDT's, and would be interested if you're experience with this amp improved the sound of the HDT's.  I am currently running my pair with a pair of SE 84CSM monoblocks (2 WPC) and would like to hear your impressions of this combination.

Dan

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1/Oppo 971H (as transport for now); VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart; Phonomena II Phono Pre; Magnum Dynalab FT101A Etude Tuner; XLO/Wireworld/Signal Cables.
  IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #79 - 02/18/14 at 23:57:24

I was contemplating buying the two watt mono blocks and when i asked Steves advice based on my speakers and what music i listen too he recommended Rachel.The amp sounds just like my two watt except it has a little heavier base and a little sweeter midrange.Otherwise they sound the same and of course i have more volume as i was always maxed on the dial. Steve voiced the amp with the HDT speakers and once again was bang on.

IP Logged
Auguie

Reply #80 - 02/27/14 at 22:15:35

Raymond...sorry for the late reply.  I also heard that Steve voiced this amp with the HDT's.  When I was at Decfest last year, I didn't hear this combo enough to form an opinion, although I value Steve's opinion very highly.

Given all that, are you using the amp with a pre-amp?  If so, which one?

Thanks for your input in advance

Decware SE84CS M Monoblocks & HDT Speakers; First Sound Presence Deluxe MK I Pre Amp; Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1/Oppo 971H (as transport for now); VPI Scout/Dynavector 10X5 Cart; Phonomena II Phono Pre; Magnum Dynalab FT101A Etude Tuner; XLO/Wireworld/Signal Cables.
  IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #81 - 02/27/14 at 22:21:44

I'm gonna poke my nose in here to say that SE34.I.3 just arrived today. To get right to the point, my first impression is that this amp doesn't really need a pre-amp in front of it. On the other hand, I will try it with one just to see.

P2280003.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #82 - 02/27/14 at 22:33:23

I've tried one with mine and felt there was something to "riding the gain" but didn't keep it hooked up.

I listen to a lot of playlists versus albums and don't want to adjust much when I am listening and to get the most out of it, I felt you had to.

Mac Mini with LPSU/SSD running Adirvana+, Chord QuteHD with LPSU, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, Torii MKIII, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
Raymond
Verified Member

Reply #83 - 02/28/14 at 02:05:07

I listen to vinyl only so i have it hooked to a Allnic 1201 which is a combination that works for me.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #84 - 02/28/14 at 21:22:20

Well, I have had the opportunity to listen enough to say, it's a keeper. Listened to Synergy Chords album last night, and I don't really like to use the word shocked too much, but I did find myself with mouth open hearing the music even more tantalizing than before. A list of other types of music keep me entertained during the latest storm siege. I did do some twiddling with the amp by adding some sound deadening material on the underside. I also prefer brass to black screws, and changed them all,  30 or something.

P3010011.JPG

Decware 34I.3 integrated amp/Forte' 3 bass amp/Velodyne SMS-1 bass mngmnt system/Decware ZOB speakers/BESL subs/Emotiva ERC3 CD player/BPT 3.0 power cond. PS Audio P500
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #85 - 02/28/14 at 21:29:51

Looks nice.  I was thinking of trying that rectifier.  Probably too early for you to be rolling tubes, but any comments you have are appreciated.

I am using RCA 5u4gs.  I just picked a couple more up on ebay for a song.  They got some pretty good write-ups and I have to agree.

What are the brass weights?  Vibration dampers or something?

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #86 - 02/28/14 at 21:52:55

Sir, you are an observant one. Yes the brass weights were my first attempt on a metal lathe. Figured out quickly that it is harder than it looks. Anyway, when I bought this amp from Steve, we talked a bit about tubes, and this rectifier is the one he sent with the amp. Can't really compare, but suffice it to say, I have no thoughts about rolling just yet. I do have some EL 34 Rubys down stairs that call out to me. As far as rectifier tubes, time will tell. Here is a photo of the underside. I like the notes drawn on the underside.

P2280005.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #87 - 02/28/14 at 21:57:26

Thanks for the picture.  I like the beeswax caps.  Did you order a new white top or was this a used amp?

I have a white top with standard caps and a black top with Jupiters.  I am thinking about upgrading the white top to the beeswax.

IP Logged
4krow
Seasoned Member

IMAGINE WHIRLLED
PEAS

Reply #88 - 02/28/14 at 22:09:01

This was the prototype that Steve used pre-production. There were a few upgrades such as the Jupiters, one pre-out, mono pots(which I switch to mono attenuators), and 4 inputs that are not hooked up(Steve is picky about the presence of too many connections, and wanted this amp to be as straightforward as possible. I agree). I added silver input jacks, few other niceties. You can see by the notes written on the chassis that this was the idea in the making. here is a cool shot of the Jupiter.

P2280006.JPG

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #89 - 02/28/14 at 22:16:05

Cool shot.  

Those prototype amps are a definite collectable.

I also see you are using Herbies dampers on your power tubes.  I just bought some for the input tubes and feel they add a bit of focus.  Any thoughts on the output tube dampers?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print