Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
08/20/14 at 23:38:11

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 On Waiting List (Read 14568 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: SE34I.3 On Waiting List
Reply #45 - 02/22/13 at 00:58:10

I have to chime in (of course I do) and agree with Bob--the Zen Styx are the best speaker cable that I've owned and since I bought them I've explored all other cabling in my system, but haven't unhooked the Styx. It took me a long time to feel they'd "settled," but when they did they kept dishing out great sound.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #46 - 02/22/13 at 01:47:49

I was the ultimate unbeliever about cables. The math and science just didn't add up. Guess what? Math and science hasn't listened to my stereo with good cables and interconnects. Big noticeable differences.

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #47 - 02/28/13 at 23:34:54

Gotta do something productive while I patiently wait for Rachael..  So I ordered a Philips 5R4GYS rectifier,  I've already had one in my CSP2 pre  for the past 3months and it sounds great.  So I pulled it out and put the new one in it's place.  Should be burned in fine by the time the new amp get's here in 2months.

Thought I'd start the burn in process gently with some Count Basie and the Kansas City 7.  Nice.

« Last Edit: 02/28/13 at 23:41:14 by Greg12 »  

Torii MkIII, DM947 speakers, Oppo 105
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #48 - 02/28/13 at 23:54:32

Ah you inspired me to put on the Impulse SACD of CB and the KC 7. Smiley

The wait for a Decware component. . . well it can be tough. Kudos on coming up with a diversionary tactic!

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #49 - 03/01/13 at 00:31:43

Same sacd I have.. great tunes,, sooo short tho..  unlike the amp wait.....  Oh well,  now on to Shelly Manne from the same APO sacd series.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #50 - 03/01/13 at 00:33:24

I agree that Phillips 5R4GYS is a great rectifier.  That and 1953 RCA 5R4GYS are my favorite rectifiers they really open up the sound.

JD

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #51 - 03/01/13 at 00:54:14

Yeah JD,  I don't want to have a pile of extra rectifiers laying around since in Decware gear they can last what,, 10yrs or so?  But I wonder if I should grab 2 more of the philips ones for the long term since they seem to be popular, not sure how long UpscaleAudio will have them for $45.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #52 - 03/01/13 at 01:06:09

Just have an earlier cd of that one. Cool session!

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #53 - 03/01/13 at 01:21:03

Question.    So if on my 92db 8 ohm spkrs, assuming I like the sound of my speakers, cause I do,,, if I decide I just can't get enough volume w/ the Rachael  and I saved up another $1400,  would I be better off getting another Rachael thereby upping the power to 12watts ea in bridged mono,  or would buying, for similar $$, the 94DB MG944 's produce more volume?

I know there's some mathematical formula or something for determining volume based on watt's and DB, but Johnny ain't so good with the math.. Tongue  (especially after a couple IPA's)

« Last Edit: 03/01/13 at 01:37:55 by Greg12 »  

IP Logged
DPC
Seasoned Member

Reply #54 - 03/01/13 at 02:47:20

I could never convince anyone that I have any math skills but the new speaker idea sure sounds like a winner!

Dennis

IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #55 - 03/01/13 at 11:30:33

I am interested in hearing any responses to your question Greg12 as I am in the same boat.  

I have 89db speakers that are generally plenty loud enough for critical listening in a smaller room, I just would like some more ooomph at times.

I have had some luck with building and like full range drivers, so I am thinking about building something with the Decware DFR8 driver.  Maybe a Decware High Definition Tower (HDT).

Also, I did some "nesting" to pass the time while I waited for my amp.  I put covers on my speaker cables, bought an isolation transformer, made a breakout box, fiddled with speaker location, etc.  It helped pass the time.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
marky
Seasoned Member

Reply #56 - 03/01/13 at 11:52:31

2 Rachaels through my 89 db`s sounds more than adequate.
Waiting for a replacement EL34 and listening through 1 Rachael sounds v/good but miss the extra bass authority and great presence/room fill.
More efficient speakers should/would equal the same ? You know I think it`s possible. Interesting thought.
I dont drink anymore but those Greene King IPA`s were   Tongue

Decware: Rachaels x 2 bridged, CSP2+, ZP3, ZMC1, DSC i/c`s, DHC-1 pw/cbl`s. Roksan Radius/Nima/high def cabl & M.BenzLP , M/L aeon i`s, Townshend Isolda sp/cbl`s, Isotek mains sub
  IP Logged
Palomino
Seasoned Member

Reply #57 - 03/05/13 at 22:26:38

I have about 100 hours on my Rachael.  I finally listened to some classical for the first time over the weekend.  

This was a completely different expeirience than any other time I have listened to my classical "playlist."  The 3D soundstage made a huge difference in my appreciation of this music.  It really was like being in the concert hall.  I usually listen to classical in sort of a passive way.  This was very engaging.

This kind of presentation is what I have been looking for in my search over the past few years.  Very impressive.

Sorry Greg12, this probably does not help your wait.  But it does give you something to look forward to.  I would say be patient with the break-in period and you'll be rewarded.

Mac Mini with Adirvana, Onkyo ND-S1 Digital Transport (modified) with linear power supply, iPod Classic, Chord QuteHD with Linear Power Supply, Signal Cable Digital Coax, Decware ICs, SE34I.32, PS Audio Power Plant Premier, PS Audio Power Cords, DIY Speakers
  IP Logged
opnlybafld
Ex Member

Reply #58 - 03/06/13 at 01:05:29

Greg12,

The number you should use to compare your speakers to the MG944s is 89dB (92dB is with ave room gain added).

89dB vs 93/94 dB ~ so all else being equal the 944s should be a little louder with 6 watts than the Paradigms with 12 ~ not all things are equal of course, the Paradigms have a 3rd order 2 way x-o and 2nd order low pass filter whereas the MG944s have a 1st order x-o, arguably this makes a difference also with fewer parts in the x-o being better for low power tube amps.

Lin

IP Logged
Greg12
Seasoned Member

Reply #59 - 03/06/13 at 03:47:16

Great information guys, I really appreciate everybody taking time to answer my novice questions.  The wait is tough, but reading all the great info helps me imagine the treat I'm in for.  Sounds stupid, but sometimes I'll wake up at like 3am, and I'll lie there thinking about the amp and how it will sound.  I'm 46 but I feel like a little kid who's anticipating xmas morning.  Kind of ridiculous, but it is fun to think about.

Greg

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Send Topic Print