Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/18/14 at 23:28:48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print
SE34I.3 On Waiting List (Read 11662 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: SE34I.3 On Waiting List
Reply #15 - 06/11/12 at 12:28:12

I'm eager to hear your impressions of the Torii Mk III. This amp changed my listening world.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #16 - 06/11/12 at 23:04:35

Now my SE34I.3 is "On The Bench."

My TORII MK III is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #17 - 06/16/12 at 05:22:18

@Riveria, how's the MKIII sounding?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #18 - 06/16/12 at 13:41:28

I am afraid somebody would ask me that.

A few days ago I received the TORII MK III back from DECWARE all checked out and cleared for duty, with a new black figured base installed.

This amp had never been broken in. I set up the amp with JJ 6922 input tubes, Russian Winged "C" rectifiers and no-name Chinese EL34 power tubes, with the 0A3 and 0C2 voltage regulators.

The first two hours the amp did not sound impressive.  However, as it played, during hour 3-5 the sound began to set in and grow more spacious and clear. Five hours on; five hours off is the plan. I have been adhering to that.

Because my listening space is a small room, the sound waves from this thing go right through me. I find that the bass sounds best with the bass pots turned all the way down. However, the treble pots are set at about half. I cannot discern any real palpable difference between the two bias settings.  I set the speaker impedance switch pointed back, which sounds best with the MG 944's.

The main thing I have to say about this amp is that it amplifies on the characteristics that the other DECWARE amps have. It brings extra  impact and emotion to the music that the other amps bring in a slightly less quantity.

I don't know if the MK III is too big and powerful for this room; it may well be. I am not ready to divest of any of the other amps yet. I am waiting for my SE34I.3; the new Sheriff in town.

Is it possible to have too much DECWARE? Probably not.    

« Last Edit: 06/16/12 at 13:42:16 by Rivieraranch »  

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #19 - 06/16/12 at 14:23:43

Jim, it's not possible to have too much Decware. . . but I sold some Decware amps just because they were not getting used, weren't ever going to get enough use, and it's a shame to have them just gathering dust. Sold them for a good price and I know they're being used.

I am not surprised to read your impressions of the Torii. I have my Mk II in a small room and it sounds different than in the larger space, makes it sound more like a vintage tube amp, which I've come to consider a nice thing. I can't imagine having another amp in my living room/dining room space now that I've had the Mk III there. It just breathes and flows there in a way no other amp has. I don't have bass controls on mine (one of the first IIIs made and before those were in vogue). I have my treble turned down too. The bias pots make a significant difference in mine, more so in the large room. I think as the amp breaks in the differences will become more pronounced. I have my input bias also to the back, the speaker impedance to the front. I agree about the emotion and impact this amp brings to the music. I found that this amp opened up after about a months use, and then again every six months or so of seasoning seems to deepen its connection to the music and my brain. Keep at it, I think it will change your listening world too. . . .

CD, DVD, Blu-ray and DVR just sound so deep and musical. Vinyl from my Rega RP3 and my PS Audio GCPH is just heavenly!

PS: At least try the amp with 6N1P tubes, they really make the amp for me, don't like it nearly as much with 6922s. And try some other EL34s, the power tubes can and do make a difference in this amp.

« Last Edit: 06/16/12 at 14:57:05 by Lon »  

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #20 - 06/16/12 at 15:55:44

RR,

This reminds me of my first experience with the Torii. And it sounds like your settings (bass full left for tightness, and impedance back for more push and therefore more articulation) are adaptations to the green Torii and probably  your room, as you suggest. With my 944s in this room, like Lon, I liked the forward setting for impedance, and back for bias... the most easy settings. But with my HR-Ones, I tend to prefer the back impedance setting, especially since I put NOS Russian K40Y-9 PIO coupling caps in the Torii.

When the Torii first came, right off, I missed the SE34I.2+ with its effortless, open and lucid mids, and found the weight and density of the Torii a little intimidating. But as Lon suggests (I think especially in some settings) Torii burnin can be a big factor. Not hearing a notable difference with the bias switch is a good indicator of subtitles to come as the amp opens up. After that first bloom, I suspect you are looking at a couple hundred hours to get into the "seasoning" phase that seems to continue for a long time.

For me, with room adjustments (to accommodate the power and weight), tube exploration, and so on, I feel like I have the magic of SE with the power and weight not likely attainable with SE. This for me is the amazing thing about the Torii. It can have a more dense, balanced, classic sound, or a very lucid and open sound and anywhere in between...but with the fast, smooth power...very nice.

I look forward to your developing impressions.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #21 - 06/20/12 at 06:05:48

Can someone PM or post for me the link to the cue?  I'm waiting on the List:)

IP Logged
Hipfan

Reply #22 - 06/20/12 at 10:53:55

Go into the Contact tab on the Decware website. The PDF build sheet link is in there.

Torii MK3, Icon Audio PS2, Rega P5, azur 640C V2, Klipsch Forte II (Crites), PS Audio Duet, MAC cabling
  IP Logged
Lord Soth
Seasoned Member

I'm an American
BadAss!

Reply #23 - 06/20/12 at 14:07:12

IP Logged
Morganc

Reply #24 - 06/22/12 at 04:45:53

Thanks guys:)

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #25 - 06/30/12 at 13:42:27

Anyone get theirs yet?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #26 - 06/30/12 at 14:13:58

ThorSevan has reported his arrived in the "Help me validate Decware amp and speakers" thread in the General Discussion forum.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #27 - 06/30/12 at 15:08:00

UPS attempted delivery of mine yesterday but I was not home. I usually leave instructions to deliver packages next door. My neighbor is an old timer who is home most afternoons. Unfortunately for me, yesterday he wasn't home either. I look forward to receiving it on Monday.

IP Logged
hifitubes
Seasoned Member

Reply #28 - 07/01/12 at 11:54:37

Mine has passed QC....looking forward to hearing your impressions Riv.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #29 - 07/02/12 at 22:32:12

I received mine today. Serial No. 8. I set it up and it is playing.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 7
Send Topic Print