Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 22:28:19

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
EZ 81 blown twice (Read 6279 times)
roggae

EZ 81 blown twice
04/30/12 at 03:04:39

So I've had two JJ tesla EZ 81s blow in the same channel. All stock tubes. All tested. Any idea what might be the problem? Both times it was idling. What should I do next?

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: EZ 81 blown twice
Reply #1 - 04/30/12 at 04:26:51

Not to make light of your situation, but the quality of JJ products right now blows.

Get a U.S. or European 6CA4/EZ81 and see if it blows, too.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #2 - 04/30/12 at 04:40:03

If you have another spare tube (or when you get it), just plug the one that was on the other channel into the channel in trouble, and the new one on the other channel . If it blows too, is not the tube.

Laptop-Foobar2K-ASIO Direct//WD 2.0Tb HDD//Audio Gd USB cable//Audio Gd NFB 3 (2014) DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish Pwr Cord
  IP Logged
roggae

Reply #3 - 04/30/12 at 14:10:02

I have a NOS EZ 81 that has not blown. I used it after the other JJ blew too.

IP Logged
roggae

Reply #4 - 05/01/12 at 00:35:27

Other than a bad tube, what could cause a tube to blow?

IP Logged
Donnie
Seasoned Member

Why does it hurt
when I pee?

Reply #5 - 05/01/12 at 00:54:14

Now remember that I am not too technical, but a small explosive charge could blow a tube. Maybe Alpha or Gamma rays, I always forget which one is bad, maybe Stingrays?
It could be something to do with electricity, tricky stuff, avoid it like you would a tiger that looks hungry. Perhaps a short? Or possibly a long, it is hard to tell them apart.
I have always found the best way to fix a problem is to throw money at it, and if that doesn't work, shoot it with your largest caliber gun!

Owner of the infamous RED TORII
  IP Logged
erik2a3

Reply #6 - 05/02/12 at 01:16:51

Donnie:  LOL!

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
erik2a3

Reply #7 - 05/02/12 at 01:21:26

By the way, I made some ear extenders once.  It can be amazing what lightly cupping one's ears can do for clarity in listening to music.  I've known band directors who do that when listening critically to students playing their instruments (i'm a an art teacher, and would stop in the band room sometimes to listen.  Some high school bands I've heard are really outstanding!).

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
Les Lammers
Seasoned Member

Reply #8 - 05/02/12 at 13:17:37

Jim McShane has RFT EZ81's. Google and scroll down. Personally, I like Mullard or Amperex.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #9 - 05/02/12 at 13:39:59

I bought a pair from him. Another rectifier you could use is the EZ80.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
HappyDwarf13
Verified Member

Reply #10 - 05/02/12 at 21:43:35

Just entered your forum.  I love Steve's gear and own what will become seven items in his product mix within the next 12 weeks.

I suspect that I have the same predicament as some of you.  I'm still breaking in a set of ZOB open baffles with the TORI mini amp.  When I left for a meeting this morning things were sounding very pleasant with only about 28 hours on the system.  When I returned to the office two and one-half hours later one side of the amp was out.  Noticed that the rectifier tube wasn't heated.

Oh to be a tube dweeb.  That's okay.  To me a bit of reflection going back to all that ham radio equipment that I built in my youth using valves is pleasant.  Too bad that I didn't realize how good (linear) tubes were for passing sine waves until about 18 years ago.  I'm 60 now.  From here on out it's vacuum tubes all the way--combined with high resolution digital recordings and of course my beloved LP collection.

IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #11 - 05/02/12 at 22:01:59

Is that another JJ failure?

IP Logged
erik2a3

Reply #12 - 05/02/12 at 23:55:04

A bit at odds, I guess, but I've always always had pretty good luck with JJ reliability.  I've used a number of different rectifiers from them with long term success.  I've learned in the past that some who are new to tubes have admitted to turning an amp on and off rapidly and repeatedly during swapping of tubes, and experienced a number of problems including blowing fuses and damaging rectifiers, etc.  If you're one to constantly roll tubes, let the amp take a break for a bit before hitting the switch.  It's not good to keep turning it on and off and on and off in quick succession.

« Last Edit: 05/03/12 at 11:05:38 by erik2a3 »  

Have fun!
erik
  IP Logged
roggae

Reply #13 - 05/04/12 at 19:06:08

i've got a little more time now so i'll respond with a little more detail.  i've had tubes for about ten years now.  blew one tube in my previous amp as a result of a bad socket. the blown ez 81 happened after the amp had been on for a few hours and was the second time it had happened in the same slot under the same circumstances.

i'm not concerned just confounded.

IP Logged
HPDJ

Reply #14 - 05/05/12 at 00:57:40

Hey,

I'm new to the forums so please excuse my jumping in on this thread. I'll briefly say that I had issue with my EZ81's with my Mini T. and ended up getting  some NOS ones from Brent Jesse and have not had any problems since...I got my Mini in January. GREAT amp btw!

And I think others have had issues with their JJ EZ81's SO, it's not really Decware's fault (I know knowone has pointed fingers or anything) . I think there is an unreliable batch of EZ81's out there and some people are getting stuck with them. I tried 3 different batches of JJ's...they all were a no-go!

NOS rectifiers don't go for very much either and you can read a bit, or ask around about the different manufacturers who made them and see what flavor might work best for your set up Smiley

I've got a set from Valvo and I think Mullard.

Have fun Smiley

-H

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print