Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/19/14 at 00:17:15

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
ZSTAGE availability & technical question (Read 10168 times)
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Re: ZSTAGE availability & technical question
Reply #30 - 05/25/12 at 14:26:56

Yesterday I pulled the plug on my STAGE, for I will be out of the office for several days. When I return I will show up with a good 12AT7 to see how that works

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/25/12 at 16:04:28

Fireblade,

To me there is no comparison between the Tranquility/Mini (with the cables I have and the way I have them set up) and the Rega. The Apollo sounded good, but I never really understood the rave reviews about it. It is possible that it is just the relativity of comparators.

To me the Tranquility/Mini is very very good in terms of real sound....with great nuance from the subtle micro detail and micro dynamics necessary for that sense of real.

As to the Ztage with them....my experience is pretty limited. The Rega to me was better sounding, a bit more delicately fleshed out across the range and more spacious than my modded Oppo. And teh ZDAC a notable step better at real presentation than the Rega. The Zstage helped them all by my ear enhancing all the good stuff that was there, and adding more realness, spaciousness and depth to the sound, but worked with their individual sounds, so I liked the Rega more than the Oppo with the Zstage, and the ZDAC better than the Rega.

And the benefits of gain riding and flexibility with useful bias and easy tube rolling is awesome with anything you put in front.

Rivieraranch,

I tired a number of 12AT7s and as usual, with this transparent stuff, they all sound different. My favs, preferring smooth and lucid transparency over big time warmth, are a 50s Seimens with a square getter, and some early 60's Brinmars I bought as a batch cheap.

I will be interested in to your impressions after having used several 12AU7s.

« Last Edit: 05/25/12 at 16:11:31 by will »  

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Fireblade
Seasoned Member

Knowledge comes, but
wisdom lingers.
A.L.Tennyson

Reply #32 - 05/25/12 at 18:02:32

Will,

Thanks for the description.  This confirms both the computer front-end and the ZStage synergy potential for my setup.  I'll wait until break-in is over, roll a couple of output tubes and probably go for the ZStage.

I'm not in a hurry, as my current gear sounds great, improving all the time, and I don't yet know its limits.  Also, I need to consider whether my current USB/DAC should be upgraded first.  It's hard to decide which step should come first without the advantage of auditioning these alternatives  :)

Laptop-Foobar2000-Wasapi Ev//WD 1.5Tb HDD//Audioquest Forest USB cbls//HRT MS II+ USB-DAC//Decware Silver Ref IC's//Decware Mini Torii SE//Kimber Kable spkr cbls//Decware DM945's//Velodyne DLS 3500//BJC SUB Cbls//Tripp Lite 500 Isolation Trnsf.//Jellyfish P. Cord
  IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #33 - 08/09/12 at 19:07:12

So I should have my ZSTAGE pretty soon... it took less than 4 months from ordering to fulfillment, rather impressive!

I've ordered a Dayton Audio dta-100a Class T amplifier because it was mentioned in a different ZSTAGE thread... has anyone here heard this particular combo?

Decware SE84ZS, Yamaha AS2000 as phonostage/pre, Rega RP6, Teac UD-501 DSD DAC, MacBook Pro/Audirvana Plus, Yamaha CD-S1000 for SACD, Focal 806v
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #34 - 08/09/12 at 19:53:10

"Rather impressive!" Is that meant sarcastically? Smiley It sure is a long wait. I'm two and a half months into an order myself.

Congrats! and welcome.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #35 - 08/09/12 at 20:17:33

No, I meant it... 3 1/2+ months waiting time IS impressive in some screwy way! If they wanted to, I am sure they could find ways to speed up the production. However, I doubt that each individual product would get as much personal attention and quality control during assembly (the claim is that they are built by highly skilled/paid artisans who love their job)

Decware SE84ZS, Yamaha AS2000 as phonostage/pre, Rega RP6, Teac UD-501 DSD DAC, MacBook Pro/Audirvana Plus, Yamaha CD-S1000 for SACD, Focal 806v
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 08/09/12 at 20:27:55

:) Well, I'm of two minds, it's a long time to wait and sometimes very difficult to do so. But agree that this is the best way to build and a great product as a result.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
Rivieraranch
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 08/10/12 at 02:21:52

My 'STAGE shares center stage with my SE84C+ in my office setup. They both sit atop my Marantz 5 disc player. The STAGE allows me to ride the gain with the amp to get just the right sound.

I have had mine for a few months now. I bought it used. I recall there were two of them that went up for sale within a very short time window. There are opportunities out there, if you don't want to wait.

DECWARE CSP2+, TABOO MK III; SE84CKC; HR1; TRAPEZIUM DESKTOP SPEAKERS; TECHNICS SL1200MK5 turntable; Ah! Njoe Tjoeb CD player; MARANTZ 2226B, 2216B receivers; SENNHEISER HD-580 headphones
  IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #38 - 08/14/12 at 17:29:09

Well, the baby is here, in case anyone wants to congratulate me on my new arrival... not sure if I'll be passing cigars around just yet!

You know the warm and fuzzy feeling when you hold in your hands a fine product with your name engraved on it...

Sure enough, when I unwrapped the Decware package, my name was there, hand written on the serial number label on the bottom of the ZDAC........ misspelled. But still!

Nothing quite like re-tracing all of the wires late in the afternoon, to find out why my left and right channels are now reversed... and finding out that everything is connected as it should be and that it might have something to do with my much awaited new toy...

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 08/14/12 at 17:32:49

Great news! I look forward to your impressions!

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, modded Oppo 83, TORII MkIV, MorrowAudio SP7 cables, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PI Audio Uberbuss...PI, VHaudio DIY, Neotech DIY, Cryoparts DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab feet and tube dampers
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 08/14/12 at 17:35:21

Congrats!

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 08/14/12 at 17:38:33

And thanks for the reminder of that feeling of a precious, and anticipated arrival. Hope it fulfills your wishes fully!

IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #42 - 08/14/12 at 19:23:51

Thank you all!

It's probably too early to comment on the sound as it isn't broken in, plus it may have to go back to Decware for a service intervention.

But I did listen to it for several hours last night... Right out of the box, it sounded much like the Yaqin, but with a layer of grease washed off... more dimensional and cleaner, but sweeter (in a subtle way).

I did try both settings of the bias switch, but I was too tired to try and figure out the difference.... My guess would be that the TOP position is the more dynamic one...?

IP Logged
clowkoy
Verified Member

Reply #43 - 08/14/12 at 19:49:51

What service intervention do you mean?
My CSP2+'s headphone channels are also reversed. I just swapped the leads rather than sending back.
I'm sure you will be surely impressed when you see the inside of your Decware products.

IP Logged
meraklya
Verified Member

Reply #44 - 08/14/12 at 20:08:26

Unfortunately I have zero soldering skills plus "no user serviceable parts inside..." & "do not open..."

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print