Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
10/23/14 at 20:26:39

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
New Torii owner - help with tube rolling. (Read 23122 times)
neilwill
Verified Member

Re: New Torii owner - help with tube rolling.
Reply #90 - 09/06/12 at 21:27:17

Thanks guys for the suggestions.  I got the tubes from a reputable dealer (tc tubes)  I'll check to see if there maybe a problem with the tubes because I don't know if it should be able to come on 98% seated.  If the tubes are fine, I may have to shave the edges.

Torii MkIII w/jupiter caps, Tonian Classic 8.1 S speakers (98db, 16 ohm), BMC Audio BDCD 1.1 cd player, Synergistic Research Powercell 6 SE, Synergistic Research Tesla Accelerator IC, Synergistic Research T2 SE & T3 SE power cords, Auditorium 23 speaker cable
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #91 - 09/06/12 at 23:27:47

Yeah I concur with Will. I'm using some nos rca and although they rest on the screws the sound is complete.

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #92 - 10/27/12 at 16:24:07

As a result of having to change my el34's from jj's to some cryo'd mullards i wasn't crazy how my telefunken 7dj8's sounded with them. Too bright and up front.  Changed to a pair of national's 7dj8's also cryo'd and the sound is off the charts...always a good thing to have tubes to roll.  I'm becoming fascinated with tube interaction, the synergy or lack of between them.  This is the first time I've had cyro'd tubes in the power and input positions and wonder how much it helps cuz it sounds so damn good.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #93 - 10/27/12 at 17:31:56

I have only checked one tube...JJ6CA7 cryo'd and not, and the cryo did help ...more open clarity, more space, more black, better dynamics...the lot. But then I believe Ron at Cryoset asks for tubes from JJ at a certain high standard...this probably helps too...I am guessing that those Mullards with the Nationals synergy for you is just good, and they would sound good not cryo'd. But with cryo, you are pulling more from the tubes than without. When I was testing the JJs, after getting used to non-cryo'd, which sounded quite good, and switching to the Cryo...if I recall correctly, the difference was pretty notable, and to my tastes better, but may not be better to all...the non-cryo tubes were softer and fuzzier by a little, perhaps more tolerant...less defined.

I agree it is good to have tubes to roll. I never got the Telefunken 7DJ8s I have to really click in except with a fair bit of work at tube synergy. I find them a little demanding in this way.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #94 - 10/27/12 at 17:34:45

PS: those JJs...both sets had lots of hours on them before I compared. Can't recall how many, but I remember thinking the JJ6CA7 need 200-250 to come in.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-7, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #95 - 10/27/12 at 18:08:28

I'll have to try the cryo'd JJs next time. Really a fan of these 6CA7s. I ahve one more pair in reserve that probably won't go into one of my Toriis for six months or so.

I do find cryo'd tubes to exhibit benefits, it's as if their best qualities are a bit more dialed in. I've used input tubes, rectifier and power tubes in cryo'd form.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,
PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #96 - 11/03/12 at 02:55:01

i agree i think with the right tubes the telefunken 7dj8's would be benign.  i need to come to the realization that any tube needs  time... a lot of time.   patience is a virtue i have yet to attain.  I freakin love the cryo'd set of input (nationals 7dj8) and power tubes(mullard el34) with raytheon ob3a recs, stock oa3's with nos rca's.  found something special that i'm gonna try to stick with...ha ha

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #97 - 11/03/12 at 03:06:40

JD,

Sounds like a very good very good place to hang. I have the rest of the tubes you use, so can imagine that your sound is really good, but I have never gone there on the Mullard EL34...so I wonder if you would give us your impressions of the cryo'd Mullards compared to the JJ6CA7???

IP Logged
JD
Seasoned Member

Reply #98 - 11/03/12 at 16:36:57

Will,

Had no inclination of taking out the jj6ca7's until I had a volume issue in one channel(that Lon helped me fix), loved the sound.  When I had first tried out the cryo'd mullards a couple months ago they seemed way too harsh for me with my telefunken 7dj8's and took them out after a few hours (10).  With no other option but my mullards i put them in and they still seemed a little harsh.  I switched to the national's and the sound was tremendous out of the gate, only thing i adjusted on the torii was the treble...now 50+ hours in it's sensational.  I just listened to the new Iris DeMent, Bob Dylan and Van Morrison cd's first with another set of jj 6ca7's and then with my mullards.  I can unequivocally say that it's the Mullards hands down.  The instruments are clearer, from the vibration of the cymbals to the guitar riffs, a much fuller and complete sound.  I can feel the emotion in the artists voice, the painful truth in Iris, the gruffness of Bob and the beautiful arrangements of Van's tunes.Everything seems to float yet stay tethered  to the original representation meant by the artist...as Steve said in his description of the Torii you don't listen to the music you float in it...I am truly getting that!
I think the cryo'd synergy between the two really helps as well.
just my two cents.

jd

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #99 - 11/03/12 at 20:41:23

Thanks JD. Synergy between tubes, or lack there of, is an amazing thing. The JJs in my room do tend to do pretty well with upfront, more defined midrange inputs like the Telefunken 7DJ8. And the Nationals do seem to have good balance, and good textural warmth with nice detail balance too. So what you are hearing makes sense to me. Sounds like a really engaging sound! Isn't it awesome....Thanks for the thoughts on the Mullards with the Nationals.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #100 - 11/07/12 at 14:37:44

Drat, lost one of my beloved 'fifties RCA 5U5G rectifiers in the Torii, mainly I think because that socket seems to have issues. So I popped in a pair of Sylvanias that are very good . . . but not quite the same.

Poop. At some point I have to send the amp back to have it looked at. But I can't bear to part with it! And I no longer have an extra Decware amp to pop into my second system while the Mk II would be in my main system and the Mk III on the way to Decware, at Decware and on the way back.

Poop.

:)

PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100,Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Evo,Ultra Linear, Iso-PodMapleshade:Double Heiix Plus.Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #101 - 11/07/12 at 15:27:25

Sorry about losing one of your favs.

What are you thinking is wrong with the socket?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #102 - 11/07/12 at 15:31:25

I lose power to the socket, have to jiggle to find a connection, which is harder and harder. I leave it on as long as I can as each time I have to power up it gets a bit more difficult. I really need to send it back, though I may look for a local repairperson.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #103 - 11/07/12 at 15:43:17

Have you tried cleaning the sockets?

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #104 - 11/07/12 at 15:53:56

Yes. It's not that.

I spoke too quickly, the rectifier is not gone. I just won't light up on either side of the Torii. It will light up in the CSP2 in my second system. It's mate works on either side of the Torii. I think it's because the lip of the base of the tube hits the mounting screws and this one is not going down deep enough to make the connection below, which is problematic on this side in comparison to the others. I'm sure it's a simple fix for the amp.

The rectifiers in now are fine. Just love the sound of the other pair. Can use them in the Mk II.

« Last Edit: 11/07/12 at 16:33:21 by Lon »  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print