Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
11/23/14 at 08:40:35

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
New Torii owner - help with tube rolling. (Read 24238 times)
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Re: New Torii owner - help with tube rolling.
Reply #30 - 05/10/12 at 23:30:55

I think you'll really enjoy them. Pay attention to the direction, these were the most directional ICs I've ever used (I think it's because of the cryo process and the fact that they are burned in a few days before mailing). There's a color band on one end of each cable that goes at the source end.

I also found that they went through a few audible phases for a few weeks and then settled in to a stable smooth warm sound. Takes about a week to get. . . hope you have them soon.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #31 - 05/10/12 at 23:54:30

Good info. Ron emailed me yesterday he was just finishing them up. Should have them next week.

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #32 - 05/11/12 at 00:05:55

Will interesting point. Haven't a clue if that makes a difference. Time to ask Steve I guess, but these sound so good probably won't make a difference to me.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #33 - 05/11/12 at 00:18:13

I don't believe there are any structural or electrical differences between the EH and JJ 6CA7 constructions, and Steve is shipping with the JJs which has made many of us assume (with the lack of a direct word from Steve) that the Hazen Grid improves this tube. . . .

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+,Torii Mk III,PS Audio PWT+DS,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DVD-A1UDCI, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable:Stradivarius, Ultra Linear+Evo ICs, Iso-Pods,Mapleshade:Double Heiix Plus,Samsonv2+v3 +4" platforms,Herbie's Iso-Cup
  IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #34 - 05/11/12 at 00:25:47

Looking forward to your thoughts on the cryoset cables. And to Lon's on the 6CA7-EH. Yes, maybe they are the same construction as the JJ 6CA7, I couldn't find out with a cursory search though.

I am just starting to listen to a DIY pair of  silver ICs from the VHAudio recipe. Also very directional. I thought about marking them when I built them, but in my excitement, I forgot. So I had to find out from listening one channel at a time, one cable at a time and I marked the source end for the direction with the most micro detail, made most noticeable in ambient information (a great trick for finding the cable with most information that I learned from Eric as dbAudioLabs). So far I would say the cables are awesome...very deep, detailed and smooth picture into the music.

But my system has been very, very engrossing lately anyway, so can't say how they compare until they burn in more. Then I can do some direct comparisons.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #35 - 05/11/12 at 00:26:59

Lon you make a good point. From doing some brief research since posting last I found out that while the 6CA7 is the USA id of the El34 and that both are supposed to be pentode some Eastern European manufacturers have been substituting beam tetrodes for El34's because they're cheaper and easier to make.  And evidently it's the fat bottle 6CA7's such as the EH's which utilize beam tetrodes, not the skinny bottle variety. The JJ's are considered beam pentode.

So, that said it will be interesting to get a comment from Steve.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #36 - 05/11/12 at 00:45:25

Well, we'll see. I'll definitely let you know on or off the board. Smiley Sounds from what Sam is hearing that the Grid is participating.

Interesting about the home-made ICs. I now have two pair of the Cryoset, one connecting the DAC to the Torii, one from the SACD player to the Torii. And if I have the Reality ICs for when I introduce the CSP2 back into the system; they really work wonderfully in conjunction with the DAC and the CSP2.

« Last Edit: 05/11/12 at 00:45:58 by Lon »  

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #37 - 05/11/12 at 01:35:52

Not necessarily I'm afraid. Frankly I'm not sure what a tube that utilizes the HG mod should sound like vs. one that doesn't. It seems that the Treasures also utilize a tetrode design(from brief research I have done...I may be wrong). And whether a tetrode can utilize it also, although I'm guessing that it can't. I have pm'd Steve so hopefully we will have an answer soon.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #38 - 05/11/12 at 04:26:18

Thanks for checking it out. I am guessing that since Steve sells the Treasure as a distinct upgrade (and if it is a Tetrode), that it probably utilizes the mod, but I could be wrong. Hopefully he will clarify this for us.

Mac mini, Tranquility DAC, CSP3, TORII MkIV, Morrow SP-6, HR-1s...VHaudio DIY, Grover, MAC ICs...PSAudio P5 and Shunyata Defender, PI Audio and DIY power cables, HerbiesAudioLab isocups and tube dampers...
  IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #39 - 05/11/12 at 06:49:14

I'm sure you are right. And I should make clear that I am just going on whatever I can find online. As it regards the Treasures there is hardly anything conclusive. I basically would love to find out if a tube like the EH will engage the HGM, and if not at the very least that there is no harm in using it because the sound really is that good.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #40 - 05/18/12 at 02:07:51

Well, over 24 hours on the EH now. Interesting sound, though it's rash to make any generalizations with just a full day on the tubes especially as these are cryo'd, they have a more Russian sound than the JJs do, a very Winged C sound. Some bass has come in, and right now they're a bit diffuse sounding, lots of ambient sound with less pinpoint imaging than the fully seasoned JJs do.

I don't plan on changing any other of my tube sets, certainly not before these are settled in, and I don't think they'll need a change in accompanying tubes. We'll see.

They seem to be constructed similarly to the JJ and sound close enough that my guess is that if the JJs take advantage of the Mod, then these do too (and vice versa). But it would be interesting to have word from the top.

« Last Edit: 05/18/12 at 02:08:53 by Lon »  

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #41 - 05/18/12 at 05:21:50

Interesting Lon. I really hope Steve addresses this because if you go strictly by what has been written about the mod the EH's shouldn't be able to take advantage. The JJ's are pentode and the EH's are not.

Steve hasn't gotten back to me yet. Perhaps if you send him a PM or email you will have better luck. In the meantime I'm using the JJ's because they sound really good in my current setup and I figure I know for sure that they are taking advantage off all the Torii has to give.

IP Logged
will
Seasoned Member

Reply #42 - 05/18/12 at 06:03:41

Its all in the sound though isn't it...what makes the music feel most real in our given setting and by our given tastes. Mod or not, sberger, sounds like your experience with the EH is really good. I do wish Steve (or a techy Decware fan) would give us some clarity here on the EH 6CA7 and the Hazen Grid mod though.

« Last Edit: 05/18/12 at 06:05:29 by will »  

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #43 - 05/18/12 at 12:49:09

I haven't seen anything really concrete that says that the EH are tetrode and the JJ pentode. . . .

Anyway, Steve no more answers my emails than anyone else's. . . I've had to go through Sarah my last few queries. I think if we start a thread, that may get his attention. . . .

IP Logged
sberger
Seasoned Member

Reply #44 - 05/18/12 at 14:27:20

The sales blurb on the EH refers to it as a "classic tetrode". See The Tubestore for one example. There is also several threads on various audio and guitar forums. Same for the JJ as a pentode. A Google brings up a lot of info.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print