Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Decware Audio Forums
04/20/14 at 04:28:48

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Amp selection for archiving (Read 9215 times)
78 archivist
Verified Member

Re: Amp selection for archiving
Reply #45 - 01/30/13 at 22:50:11

Update:

The distortion disappeared after about five hours of record playback, which did seem like an eternity when you're playing 78s limited to 3 minutes per side. But now months later and what I would approximate around 12 hours of playback time, both Rachel and the Audio Nirvana 15" alnico sound magnificent and are only getting better over time. Patience really pays off here.

Once I upgrade the C8's, in about half a year, to a S.E.T. pre-amp with tube power supply and tube roll off, turnover, and high cut filters I'm absolutely certain I'll never desire to upgrade in audio ever again. I can definitively say Rachel's marriage material even if I have to bridge to mono with her.

It's amazing to hear direct to disc both acoustic and electric recordings bring musical performances 100 years old back to life in some of the best fidelity possible.

IP Logged
Lon
Seasoned Member

"Love without
guts is
worthless!"
Philip K. D*ck

Reply #46 - 01/30/13 at 23:00:01

Awesome! Your leap of faith paid off!

Decware amps are special, and I'm glad you have your Rachel.

Decware:ERR,HR-1,ZP3,CSP2+(2),Torii Mk III, PS Audio PWT+PWD MkII,PowerBases,PPP,AC-12 pcs, Denon DBP-A100, Denon DCD-A100, Rega RP3 +TTPSU,white belt+Exact2, VooDoo Cable IC: Evo and UL, Mapleshade:Double Heiix Samsonv2+v3 and 4"platforms,Herbie's IsoCups+Tendft
  IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #47 - 01/31/13 at 00:02:30

I do have one complaint which I don't think is a 'design flaw'. I have four inputs for Rachel and when I switch between them, she makes a VERY loud pop. It's loud even with the volume control's at 12 o'clock. At full volume, what I always play music at, the first time I switched the pop did sound loud enough to damage the speaker. So having to switch between my two C8's is a slight PITA as I have to make three adjustments on Rachel to do so: turn volume down all the way, switch input, then turn volume all the way back up. This is on top of the volume, turnover, and roll off corrections I have to make on my C8's for every disc.

IP Logged
78 archivist
Verified Member

Reply #48 - 01/31/13 at 22:20:15

Ok one more complaint. The attenuator makes a hum when it's not turned all the way down or up, and grows louder as it approaches 12 o'clock from either direction. Any way to get rid of this?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print